Skip navigation

Random quesiton i know........

Back to the top

Random quesiton i know........

Went to crank my none starter over the other day and it started to make a horrible noise, kinda like a seal (the animal not an oil seal haha).

It started when i put a lighter flywheel in. I'm having trouble getting it to crank as the motor some times just clicks as tho the starter solenoid is done it. I got a new battery as the old one was shot and it still strougles to crank and still seals at me.

Is this the noise the motor would make when it is packing up?

Thanks

Back to the top
So you replaced the flywheel, and now it sounds like the starter motor doesn't engage properly at times, and a high pitched noise? I'd suspect the flywheel hasn't been fitted properly, which explains the non-engagement and the noise is metal-metal rubbing.

If the starter motor worked before, you should be okay. They don't generally just go pop, they lose their performance over time. Same with batteries, unless they're abused (ie left for ages and fully discharge, or are fully discharged for another reason like you cranked it for 15 mins or something).

Back to the top
thanks mate,… The battery is deffo gone, it's old as hell and the cells have broken down. The flywheels is fitted right, i've had the gear box off 3 times to check it is all ok and is.

It sounds like it is coming from the start but it's hard to get my ear round when sat in the cab turning the key haha

Back to the top
I had a loud repetetive click when i was attempting to start, got new battery made no difference.

Got brand new starter, problem solved!
Solenoid was fubar

Back to the top
does the flywheel run true? i had one once that had warped ever so slightly and this caused the same prob. or like paul says it hasnt been fitted correctly.

Back to the top
I'll have to get the box off again and atick the DTI gaugh on it. What a pain this is turning out to be.!

Back to the top
Hi again all, DTI gauge shows the flywheel does run true and is'nt warped or fitted wrong. The noise still is there….. I got a friend to crank the car over so i could have a good listen and i did notice one of the nuts that comes out of the solenoid is loose and creating a massive amount of sparks under cranking. I've tried tightening this but it seems it is damaged from the inside.

I've stripped the solenoid and can't seem to get passed the return spring to look at it.
Do you recond this could be the problem and is it possible to get a solenoid on it's own?

Anyone got a motor for sale?

Thanks again to everyone who's helped so far.

Back to the top
Hate to say i told you so!  :lol:

I'm going up to a yard tonite, i'll have a look around for ya! theres a few mk1 complete engines up there

Back to the top
haha, I know.

If you could that would be great!
Thanks

Back to the top

horrible noise

Been and got a brand new starter motor from GSF this afternoon, i've fitted it and guess what…. the noise is still there. It sounds like a horrible grinding yelping seal..

Back to the top
Is there a bush within the gearbox, that the end of the starter motor sits in?

Back to the top
i think i have an idea what you mean Paul…. Give me 15 mins and i'll take the starter motor out to look now :D

Back to the top
i cant feel anything inside it

Back to the top
Is this the hole you mean?

Back to the top
Yes, but I can't see if the bush is in there, or if its the right size for your starter motor. You'd have to check that out.

Back to the top
yeah as i say i cant feel anything in there. Think if i pack it with copper slip and give it spin that'll tell me if it's a bush or not?

Back to the top
If you got the new starter from GSF it should have had a seperate new bush come with it. Copper grease will make no difference what-so-ever

Back to the top
It didnt come with one.

Back to the top
I got x 2 from them recently and both had new bushes, I'd go back and see them.

Back to the top
Was it a seperate bush or one that is attatched to the starter motor it's self?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.