Skip navigation

Waving

Back to the top

Waving

So, waving. That old chestnut. Symbol of solidarity amongst dubbers ? or some at least?

When I?m out in my T25, pretty much any other T25s I pass on the road will give a wave, or a flash of the lights.  A simple acknowledgment of the fact we?re bound together in the love of driving (and constantly fixing) an old veedub.  Most bay owners will wave also, and bugs too - but splittie owners are too far up their own butts :roll:

The other week I was in the Mk1, went down to Weston-Super-Mare and back (1st long trip in the GX and she drives sweet).  In the 4 hours I was driving I passed probably 10 or so T25s, and 2 bays ? I flashed or waved at every one, and didn?t get one wave back  :boohoo:

Now I?m not a man whose pride is dented easily, but is this the norm?  Do you lot wave at / get waved at by other dubs that aren?t Mk1s?  Or are Mk1s still seen as not part of the veedub club, still seen as a 'new' car or nothing special?  I guess given that some Mk1s are on F/G plates (later?) that would be understandable.

Any thoughts or experiences to share? Couldn't see much on the search…

'83 :) Golf 1.5 GX - weekender - in pics: 1983 Mk 1 Golf GX - a set on Flickr
'88 T25 camper 2.1 - in pics: Gina the van's renovation - a set on Flickr

Back to the top
do it on the bike all the time, and also to mk1's, although they look a little puzzled when a guy in a corsa is waving at thhhem

Back to the top
i wave at any vw on the road (anything made before the mk3 golf). mk1's and caddys/old polos always wave, splittys and bays wave, square bricks wave too.

i hope the ones who dont wave back feel rude and ashamed.

solidarity amongst dubbers for the win  8)

'83 1.5 LHD Golf LX

Back to the top

whatalotafun said

they look a little puzzled when a guy in a corsa is waving at thhhem
LOL, I wave sometimes if I'm walking and one passes!

milky: 'square bricks' sounds a little negative, I love mine :)

Back to the top
Hi mate,

I waved at a few mk1's and got a wave… I flashed and waved at other old VW's like beetles and campers but get nothing.  I don't do it anymore.  Not worth felling like an idiot on the fourth-fifth try :roll: .  Not too down about it but it is a bot of a shame.

Back to the top
I know what you mean mate, when i had my old bay and beetles, always waved at other bays/beetles etc, pretty much everything air cooled always waved back…

Noticed a change in the mk1, some bays wave back, a lot depend son the car - when i had my GTI, only really MK1 and some mk2 drivers flashed/waved

but in the 5dr's I get more waves - especially when i had the rat, loads of air coled waved - but now with the GL, always off mk1's and a few air cooled - not enough for my liking… lol

We need to up the flashin/waving levels

Back to the top

Lawsy said

AGREE WITH THAT!! Closest emoticon I could find to a wave —>  :dance:

Back to the top
We should make it into a competition on the way to the gathering, Who gets the most waves.

Back to the top

Spudfingers said

Lawsy said

AGREE WITH THAT!! Closest emoticon I could find to a wave —>  :dance:

maybe this is the start of a new "waving" era.

or

maybe not!

Back to the top
The air cooled guys don't seem to wave back

Back to the top

plurker said

whatalotafun said

they look a little puzzled when a guy in a corsa is waving at thhhem
LOL, I wave sometimes if I'm walking and one passes!

milky: 'square bricks' sounds a little negative, I love mine :)

i love them too mate, the brick reference is just what i have heard a lot of owners calling them (brick yard forum too), it wasn't meant to come across negative  8)

i want one of these badboys..

'83 1.5 LHD Golf LX

Back to the top
i was just looking at a blackone on piston heads, about ?2,750

Back to the top
milky, was only ribbing ya, brick is better than wedge :)

I want a syncro

Back to the top
I've waved at Mk1 Caddies before and got nothing  :roll: , then a Mk2 GTI goes passed and nearly crashes into me because the driver's flashing and waving so hard! It depends on the driver I think. Now I just raise my hand from the steering wheel a bit for any old VW's, so I don't feel too daft if I'm ignored. I've come to expect NO WAVE from anything aircooled  :cry: It's a lot more of an elite group I suppose.

Back to the top
Hear you on the Aircooleds not waving back thing.

I've given up now, not worth looking a tit and having the girlfriend laugh at me : :roll:  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Get a lot of people waving around are area! aircooled and water! Happy Bunch Really!

Back to the top
Me 2 really i sometimes get a bit up my arse when i see a crappy mk3 polo or summat razzed up to it eye balls and the give me a wave i just shake the head and ignore my missus think im so rude to ignor them but when a beauty of a camper waves back to you its like your car has been excepted in the air'cool'ed world!! i think it depends on car and driver to be fair.

Back to the top

jools182 said

The air cooled guys don't seem to wave back

I've found if i flash and do the old no worries wave then they wave back…

Back to the top

Lawsy said

the old no worries wave…

explain this

Back to the top
If i see an early vw while in works car (landrover freelander) i usualy put my thumb up to the driver and always get a nod back at least. I am going to start waving/flashing more now as i know mini drivers flash each other and i think we should do more flashing now now dont read too much into that comment  :mrgreen:

It dunt fit
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.