Skip navigation

MK1 Van project

Back to the top

MK1 Van project

Right then??.I have started a thread to motivate myself to restore the Baron.  I bought this car\van 3 years ago off the bay after a few beers!  It had a smashed front wing and door and the 1.6 d engine needed a new cambelt.  It was also near lands Ends ? I live in Leicester 8O

I have replaced the wing and door and part fitted a 1.8 Kjet and gear box from a gti.

this van used to belong to a sufer and is full of sand

Areas to address - Rust - Boot

Back to the top
Nice but whats the Benz in the garage?

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
good to see another Van..

nic eone mate

Back to the top
looks like a nice lil base for project mate.. and that merc tucked away in the garage looks rather tastey too..

what plans for the van then?

Back to the top
Keeping it original?  Not too many vans around.

Back to the top

welsh-mk1 said

Keeping it original?  Not too many vans around.

Yes defo, once the engine swop is sorted it's off to the body shop for a full respray in Mars Red.  I have some coilovers ready but need some rims, I had some 16inch Tele dials from a 944 turbo with 8 inch rears but they were too big and now on the bay.  

Jim

Back to the top

walkerfromwolves said

looks like a nice lil base for project mate.. and that merc tucked away in the garage looks rather tastey too..

The Mercs my mates  :cry:  he leaves in my garage over winter.  The van will be restored and dropped on some rims, not sure what to get?

Back to the top
I'd love a mk1 van!

Get to work!

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
wow man iv looked all over for a mk1 van love em to bits but their rearer than hens teath real nice motor mate im so envious

keep on dubbing

Back to the top
sweet another van, iv got 2 but sadly 1 is beyond repair and going to scrappys ot weekend, taking panels out though,
painted the inside of the other today

keep us updated with yours mate

Back to the top

foxymk1 said

sweet another van, iv got 2 but sadly 1 is beyond repair and going to scrappys ot weekend, taking panels out though,
painted the inside of the other today

keep us updated with yours mate

Nice one dude, what engine you running??  I have started to strip my down to find out the damage is, looks good apart from the wheel well.

Did yours come with the nice shinny covers next to the boot catch and what seats were in yours.

Jim

Back to the top
that 1 was a car first mate, the other 1 was OEM but i got it as a shell and the shinny bits were all none shinny and batterd

Back to the top
WOW! Talk about rocking horse poo!
used to be a common sight as a kid too.
Coming along very nicely bud.

Back to the top
Was looking for this thread not long ago and couldn't find it!!  Added to favourites now.  Looking forward to the progress mate.  Keep the updates coming

Back to the top

GTI_Jim said

walkerfromwolves said

The Mercs my mates  :cry:  he leaves in my garage over winter.  The van will be restored and dropped on some rims, not sure what to get?

teledials could work well but obviously the 15's.. ats classics maybe??

Back to the top

Update

I took most of the bits off the back to get a better idea of how much was left.  It appears the top of the rear valance is the worst area - other than the spare wheel well.

Replaced the filler neck as it was knackered, in the process of swapping the fuel tank.

Gotti rims I picked up this week.

Bumpers are well rusty, but I kind of like the car without them now.

Fitting the coilovers next week and attempting to get the engine running

Back to the top

Back to the top
Looking good mate never seen a mk1 van before :)

Would love 1 my self that way i could go to work in a mk1 as well

Wanna swop for a berlingo ha ha

keep up the good work

karl :)

Back to the top

mk1 golf van

hi im new to this forum and was wondering if anybody can help, ive just finished fully restoring a mk1 golf van to a very high standard and am know going to be selling it. it is immaculate and totally standard spec. ive just had it mot'd and now want to sell it. any ideas were would best to sell it would be grateful, and any info in general about these suoer rare vans.regards

Back to the top
any genuine people intrested in buying the mk1 van please contact me. im going to be takin pics tomorrow and will get them on here for people to admire
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.