Skip navigation

My Mk1 Golf Project..about time i showed you all!

Back to the top

My Mk1 Golf Project..about time i showed you all!

Hello buddy,yeah not far from preston, I've got quite a few small block bits lying around, a few new.
something fruity eh? you got plans?

Back to the top
cool, give us a pm and i'll pop over! Fancy a gt engine or even a 1.3spi swap and run it on bike carbs sumtime next year..just in time for vwnw hopefully.

1272 driver with a magic tree!!

Back to the top
Well I've had it on the road a few months now and its truly great to be behind the wheel of a mk1 again. Things are feeling a touch loose at the front end now so I'm gonna try to get round it this week with any luck. I think the steering rack is moving a touch. Oh and my number plate lights have randomly given up so I've got a replacement headlight switch as I think te problem lies there.

Looking forward to show season now!!

Back to the top
It the mk1 still going strong! :D

Mines still in the garage, got another mk2 i'm working on.

Are you on swdubs?

Back to the top
Hello bud, yeah still going strong. got a funny clicking noise thats speed related but think it may be the speedo cable??
cant get the exhaust to seal properly either which is a pain but I'l crack it..I dont think im on that site i'l have to have a nosey at it.

So your on a mk2 at the mo are you? I take it the golfs just been mothballed for now?

Back to the top
Just a little update..Its been six months since its been on the road and Ive gotta say I still adore it! Finally got a stereo in it but Its not always on.
A few small points if anyones going the same route.
1 The ashley conversion manifold is a bit poor in my opinion, its tough enough but really quite ill conceived, the lack of a swoop for the anti-roll bar is a glaring oversight and the Downpipe is a monkey to seal. Although I will admit to this being more a down pipe problem than the manifold itself.. But still for the cost its still not what I expect. Save the extra fifty quid and get the supersprint one or stealths..miles better from what I can see.

2 If your using bike carbs position your mounting clips very carefully..The thread body on the clip can stop the carbs sitting fully home, resulting in them popping off as I experienced one day. Always double check this after any work on your carbs eg rolling roads, and head rebuilds etc.

3. Use proper fan mounts if you fit a slimline fan, ebay plastic ones are awful and become brittle in days.

Other than that everything else is great. The carbs are Fantastic, Producing a wonderful note on throttle and very responsive too. The H & H ignition system is a thing of wonder!! It hasnt missed a beat and Id recommend them thoroughly !!

So there we go, You can make a old skooler reliable and a different daily drive to the norm…we love em!!

Back to the top

H and H

Just been reading through this thread and it looks and sounds mint and this is what i have decided to do with mine, got a KR and the carbs but will start a thread when bodywork starts.
Just wanted a bit of info with the wiring side as i am useless with wires. Does this H & H system replace the ECU and does that mean that wiring is down to a minimum of wiring in temp and pressure senders etc. The main point of course is the cost of it!!

Any advice gratefully recieved

Back to the top
Thamks buddy!
Yep the H and H system gets rid of all ecu, vacuum advance, the lot. Just two wires to the supllied coil.
THen its just a case of hooking up your temp wires etc.
Give em a ring mate because its been almost two years since i bought it. It was around £250 though.
Good luck with the project bud, you wont be sorry you did it!

Back to the top
solid

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://unitwan.co.nr/vw.htm
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.