Skip navigation

My Mk1 Golf Project..about time i showed you all!

Back to the top

My Mk1 Golf Project..about time i showed you all!

Hello everyone!

Well like I said in the title it really is about time I see what you think of my little money pit :lol:

I found her sat all alone in a secure car park whilst working. I could just see one headlight peeking round another car. it looked like it hadnt moved for a while but looked pretty good.

I left a card under the window and a deal was struck.

and here's how she looked.

I was now the very proud owner of a 1.1c with as close to a mint shell as I could have hoped. The only problem was some nasty stripes down the side. massive overriders on the flanks and GTi arches which didnt suit it really.

Unfortunatly it was a non runner after some diy wiring work by a previous owner. I got the wiring sorted out but the 1.1 was a pig and wouldnt idle for love nor money. I tried it all, carbs,pumps,filters, you name it. nothing.

Then came the tough decision of more money on the 1.1 or I could just chuck the corrado's KR in, chuck it in….yeah right!!

And so the fun began!
There was never a prayer of the KR going in with its injection etc. Just not too keen on the inlets look in a mk1, Just seems a little too modern for the look of the shell. So I decided on bike carbs, replacement H+H ignition system to get around the lack of a vaccuum advance,a bit of a port and a polish while the head was off and the obligatory 4 branch manifold into a jetex system.
sounds simple doesnt it? Again, No.
Nightmare! I'm sure you know what its like trying to piece these things together. Oh the hours on the net rubbing your brow til its sore.

Anyway, back to the plot…

This bits never fun on an unmolested shell…(some of you really hate me now and i'm sorry, but it had to be done.)

bit of paint…

I know its not the best job in the world but it'l be repainted next year so all those bits will be seen to then.

then my own little christmas day..

got all replacement Gaskets, bushes, clutch again you name it. I thought may as well while i'm in here. How many times have you heard yourself say that? :lol:

Got my self some carbs on a Bogg Bros manifold…

Still love these things!
Although we're still waiting to hear them.

After a while the engine looked like this..(I have got a few engine build pics if anyones interested?)

What do you think??
Unfortunatly the rocker cover met a nasty end and I'm yet to break out the brush and sandpaper yet.

Refurbed the rack, bought in and refurbed the driveshafts and fitted 90mm flanges to my cabrio box. I know 100mm would,ve been a little tougher but I cant justify the price!

Steering rack…

And thats about it….Oh apart from this!!
Have a nosey around it not quite finished yet but I will keep you posted. Its been a bit of a skim over a long and arduous process but as you all well know…its worth it!

Oh and a quick look at her de-striped and with proper little spats and no horrible rubbing strips…

Well thats really it for now. If you read this far i'm amazed!!

Hope you like her!!

Cubed

Back to the top
Hey cubed, nice work so far.That's one mint shell - nice find! 8)  Was it a bargain?

Andy

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
hey, glad you like it! I think I got a good deal on it really considering the shape the shells in gave ?800 for her. not exactly deal of the decade but I have no regrets.

hoping to be at edition with her!

Back to the top
?800 seems fair

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Good work!

Back to the top

Back to the top
nice work mate. love the colour.

ash

Back to the top
thats looking good mate

Back to the top
looking good mate

Back to the top
cheers fella's! got the rest of the week to work on it so i'l have a few updates coming. Just waiting on those final bits!

Thanks again !

Back to the top
looks good mate

Baz

Back to the top
Looking forward to more pics,  8)

Back to the top
WOW  8O  8O …. looks much better and it's an unusual colour so stands out.  Nice conversion too with the hard work you put in mate  :clap:

Back to the top
Thanks again for kind comments. :D
Been in work all weekend but but work recommences tommorrow
with the brakes going in.
As you've probably spotted the Corrado has also donated its servo and master cylinder. Plumbed in before I dropped the motor in.
Got 256mm Standard discs with Vectra calipers with shoulder bolts from this forum, nice little objects those..anyway!
I've got a little help tommorrow so we'l bleed them up.
Ordered my air filters today too!
oh and need to harass ashley for my absent downpipe fitting kit!

Back to the top
Well another day done the catch tank is secured and the throttle works!
nightmare with the cable at the pedal end, ended up just drilling my own mounting hole in the end.
neccessary bits for the exhaust are winging they're way to me so a video is imminent, hopefully!

Back to the top
yep its been a while, been turning spanners rather than pushing keys for a while. and Im glad to say things are finally getting there.
The exhaust problems were my fault and engine mount related.

the electrics finally sorted other than dodgy rear lights. Head in the books tomorrow!

But I thought I'd post a short vid of the old girl finally running…
she's had a trip round the block and all seems well..

I think its been well worth the hassle now!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ayQA2bWobc

See what you think.

Back to the top

Back to the top
muc apreciated bud. will get some moving videos this week!

Back to the top
Looks great!  I love 16v's!  More pictures please.

Back to the top
will get some posted up soon, seem to be working every hour i've got at the moment. typical, just as the coilovers turn up!

Itching to fit them!!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.