Skip navigation

scrappage scheme?

Back to the top

scrappage scheme?

my father in law is thinking of buying an "old scrapper" of a car and chuck it in the garage for a year, then bring it out in the hope that this scrappage scheme is extended.  if it is he would then drag it out, remot it :wink: , and trade it in.

he understands it's a gamble, but for the price of a ?100 car. is it worth it?

Back to the top
Yes.

Back to the top
give it a go!!!

but it wouldn't suprise me that MR Brown changes his mind about the whole thing.

SACK THEM ALL!!!!!!  :banghead:

Banner

Back to the top
i told him that even if they don't extend it he would get most of his money back by scrapping the car in a year anyway

Back to the top
good luck finding a car for ?100 tho.

Back to the top
i've been looking for cheap cars

?300 is the cheapest i've found and it was a right mess need hundreds to get it thought it's MOT

Banner

Back to the top
i've got that 70k 1.1 96 metro he can have for ?100, needs to be pumped up, but it's nearly rust free.

Back to the top
its daft

he'd bebetter of fbuyinga car thats either ex demo or a few months old

much more savings that way!!

my boss just got 12k off the list price of his volve V70 for buying an ex demo with 4k on the clock ok, its a 58 plate instea dof an 09 but who cares!!

I read somewhere that theyreckon the 2k average saved will be worthless in 81 days due to depreciation of the car anyway!!! (Itn news page on yahoo, cant find link tho now)

So i'd say

Stick it to brown, and keep the old cars on the road instead!! lol

Back to the top

Lawsy said

its daft

he'd bebetter of fbuyinga car thats either ex demo or a few months old

much more savings that way!!

my boss just got 12k off the list price of his volve V70 for buying an ex demo with 4k on the clock ok, its a 58 plate instea dof an 09 but who cares!!

I read somewhere that theyreckon the 2k average saved will be worthless in 81 days due to depreciation of the car anyway!!! (Itn news page on yahoo, cant find link tho now)

So i'd say

Stick it to brown, and keep the old cars on the road instead!! lol

he buys a new car every 70k miles, as he is a driving instructor, so in some strange way, the extra ?2000 off helps alot. something to do with tax and stuff! :dontknow:

Back to the top
This only works on cars that are at the cheaper end of the market like basic Pandas, Hyundia and Kias. You'd be lucky to normally get ?500 extra discount, now ?2,000 is a steal esp if your car was was a ?200 banger with a short MOT.

Stuff like Focus and Astras can be got brand new with ?2000-3000 discount anyway or as mentioned ?3000-?5000+ nearly new.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
There are many articles which say the Scrappage benefit is 'lost in 88 days':

http://money.uk.msn.co…px?cp-documentid=16842224

:?

Back to the top
Scrap it!

:wink:

Current:   Porsche 914 1973
Previous: Ghia, Golf Country 3 Trekkers, 2 Bugs, Trabby, Split Ambulance, Iltis etc.

Back to the top
cheers lenny, it'll get there one way or other

Back to the top
Better deals can be had on nearly new cars.  The buying of new cars also benefits foreign car makers in the main.  It doesn't really help Halewood, Ellesmere Port, Sunderland etc. etc.

The German scheme was better in that it covered nearly new also.   It's the government that should be scrapped!

Previous: Ghia, Golf Country 3 Trekkers, 2 Bugs, Trabby, Split Ambulance, Iltis etc.

Back to the top
I'm a car salesman (Ford and Mazda).
If you're buying a Mazda2/KA/Fiesta it is definately cheaper to go scrappage. If it is a bigger/more expensive car, go retail.

An example is a Mazda3 2.0D Sport I sold today - ?3300 discount on the car + ?750 for the p/x. Same thing with an MPS I've got, same with the Focus and Mondeo.

If however, your scrapper is worth say ?1800 (a V-reg Focus for example)
it is cheaper to go retail every time.

The pot of money WILL run out though - Ford already have 900 scrappage orders.

'82 Mk1 GTI 1600 UGY74X
(Mars Red, mostly…)

Back to the top
But presumably the deal will be done at list price?  Many dealers, outside 'scrappage' will have already been discounting ?2000 or more in recent years.

Back to the top

jellybelly said

give it a go!!!

but it wouldn't suprise me that MR Brown changes his mind about the whole thing.

SACK THEM ALL!!!!!!  :banghead:
but wot mr brown didnt tell you is that the only reason this scheme works in other country's is becuase your only aloud to buy a car thro the scheme that is made in your country so if it was a german scheme you can only get the offer so long as you buy a german car so thats why other countries are able to say oh yes it works! not that im slating german cars im not at all im agrreing with your sack them all comment, they only tell us half a story they love spending tax payers money ON THIER OWN HOMES??

GOLF MKII GTI 8V - sold

GOLF MKII DRIVER - ex took it

GOLF MKII GTI 16V - scrapped

JETTA MkII GTI 8V LMT EDTION

Back to the top
i can't see them extending it either as they are already saying that cars with a waiting list longer than 4 months aren't included in the deal as by the time they recieve them the pot 'o' money will have run out…..

Back to the top
The whole idea is flawed, pointless, and a waste of tax payers
hard earned money.

Why bail out the Car companys,  DFS, World of leather, MFI,
etc..etc.. have all gone bankrupt at one point or another,

The Government did not offer you ?100 for your old sofa
or kitchen did it???.

Let them sort it out for themselves………… they made enough
profit, just spent it unwisely……….

Dib

Golf MK1 GLi Golf MK2 GTi Golf MK3 GTi Galaxy 2.3 Ghia X Seat Inca 1.9 Diesel Tomorrow is almost over, today went by so fast The only thing to look forward too is the past.

Back to the top
also have to own it for 12 months

83 BBS MK1 GTI 69 T2 PANEL VAN i am back let the trouble begin :)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.