Skip navigation

My 82' Mk1 Project

Back to the top

My 82' Mk1 Project

its really nice to see some non UK stuff. really refreshing.
it's really coming along quickly too :) i take ages to do anything haha.
keep up the good work

Simon R - YouTube

MGH 178Y - 16v - Gone :(

KHJ 888Y - Gone

Back to the top
de3660

Is it not common to see projects done by others outside of the UK? Thought it would be.

Thanks for the support!

'82 Mk1 GTI

'86 Mk2 GTI

'06 Mk5 GTI

~What can I say? I'm just a GTI lover….~

My '82 Mk1 GTI Project

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=60383

Back to the top
nope, there are only very few around.
its an interesting read.

Simon R - YouTube

MGH 178Y - 16v - Gone :(

KHJ 888Y - Gone

Back to the top
Yay! The mk1 is finally out of the bodyshop and is now sitting at home, in a spacious garage awaiting the engine.

Here she is….

and here's a pic of the replacement windscreen Thien got for me. I think it's from a 1979 Clipper…it was a mission trying to find one of these locally….

Looks good to me….I WAS considering tinting the windows but i'm totally loving the original look so i'm going to leave it as it is….

Now I need new rubber seals all around for the doors…

Yay!

'82 Mk1 GTI

'86 Mk2 GTI

'06 Mk5 GTI

My '82 Mk1 GTI Project

Back to the top
Sweet, coming along nicely, keep it coming.

Back to the top
And now we begin work on the Engine…

I'm ecstatic that the bodywork is done, and the car is sitting safe at home, I thought it was about time we started work on getting the engine together.

Today I spent all morning painting the engine block and the rocker cover.

Here's what I started with…

3 coats of Black Hi-Temp Spray later…

and the rocker cover…

Before

After

Group Shot!

Surprise! Surprise! Chai was looking through his store room and he found the exhaust manifold u see in the photo above. I checked and found that it mates perfectly to my cylinder head. It's an OEM item but it looks different to the one on my car. Part No. 067 253 033a. Anyone seen it before? or can share knowledge of this?

If it's ok to use, I want to 'explore' the possibility of making a custom downpipe and exhaust locally. That's IF i can use the manifold. If anyone knows, any help is greatly appreciated….

Stay Tuned!

'82 Mk1 GTI

'86 Mk2 GTI

'06 Mk5 GTI

My '82 Mk1 GTI Project

Back to the top
mate this is a lovely project , best of luck finishing it, it looks like its coming on really well

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top

mk1-400 said

Sweet, coming along nicely, keep it coming.

richyhill said

mate this is a lovely project , best of luck finishing it, it looks like its coming on really well

Thanks a lot guys.

It's really nice to know there are some of you out there willing to take the time to read and appreciate this little build thread of mine.

More updates coming soon…

:D

'82 Mk1 GTI

'86 Mk2 GTI

'06 Mk5 GTI

My '82 Mk1 GTI Project

Back to the top
How's it all going now bud?

Back to the top
Hey Spud,

I only JUST found new big end bearings online so i'm waiting for that to arrive. AND also waiting for Main bearings, Piston rings and new Con rod nuts and bolts from GSF.

A lot of people have said "hey, haven't seen any new updates in your thread lately"…my only answer was "Well, u know these things cost money right? so now u know why there haven't been any updates…"

Hahahaha…I want to get the engine together and running reaaaaal soon. Hopefully things'll work out once those new parts have arrived.

How's your engine build going? Read ur last thread…everything piling up at the same time huh? I totally understand mate. I've deemed my mk5 unsafe to drive due to bald rear tyres, faulty injectors, expired insurance AND road tax. It also needs to be serviced so i'm doing that sometime this week. But the faulty injector, AAaargh! I know if i go to the stealership, they'll definitely suck my wallet dry on the labour, but…. i've got some DIY instructions to replace them, so i'm going to give that a try too…

Keep ya head up mate…

:lol:

'82 Mk1 GTI

'86 Mk2 GTI

'06 Mk5 GTI

My '82 Mk1 GTI Project

Back to the top
Cool little build thread, Gonna look sweet when it's done  :y:

Back to the top

nice mk1

awesome thread .. can't wait to see more updates.

Current:                                      
1980 Mk1 GT                             
2005 Golf 5 2.0 TDI

Ex:
1981 Mk1 cabriolet
2000 Mk4 1.9tdi
1998 MK4 1.6
1995 Mk1 Blues

Back to the top
Just checking in mate…. any progress?  Difficult when things pile up aye  :roll: .  I seriously want to see you finish this Q…. brilliant to know people so far away are actually in the same boat as me lol… I'm getting the helicoil done at the weekend so mine is nearly there ready for the turn of the key  8O

Any updates on yours bud?

Back to the top

Forever waiting

Sigh. I am forever waiting for these elusive big end bearings. It's been weeks/months and they still haven't arrived. I made my order with Techtonics tuning online and waited but it didn't arrive so I decided to call. Found out, they overlooked my order and hadn't sent it yet. Also, turns out shipping was going to cost more than what I had paid, but they waived that because they messed up. So, they shud be on the way now. (I'm hoping they don't end up in Brazil like a previous order I made…)

Even my main bearings and piston rings from GSF haven't arrived yet. I was being helped by someone there and suddenly they went on leave, so someone else had to handle it therefore taking longer than it should have.

Basically, my luck with the build hasn't been that great especially with those parts. Just so happens they're reeeeeeeeal important parts. The only parts I need to start putting the engine back together.

AARGH!

On a more positive note, i have new VENTS. Thanks to JonnyMc for replying to my thread of despair. Worth the 20quid me thinks. Excellent condition. But…it doesn't make the car go, so not really such a huge update.

Also got new windscreen rubber from CrazyQuiffs. Don't think I need to put a photo of that in since you all know what it looks like…

I will persevere through all the madness and bring this car back to life!

Proposed Target month for completion - December 2009
(Well, at least get the engine started…)  :dontknow:

Thanks for the support. Knowing people are reading this thread motivates me to just keep moving…

'82 Mk1 GTI

'86 Mk2 GTI

'06 Mk5 GTI

My '82 Mk1 GTI Project

Back to the top
I've read through this a few times now, and it really does look like an awesome little project, i'm not a fan of white mk1's, but this one looks epic.

Keep it up!

'87 Mk1 Cabby.
MK5 Golf Daily.

Instagram - woahnowboys

Back to the top
Thanks guys for the awesome comments. I am but a humble gti lover wanting to share his story. Aren't we all? :lol:

Great News! The elusive engine parts I've been NEEDING have finally arrived! After 2-3 months of waiting, and the project pretty much grounding to a halt, I'm so relieved to see them in front of me.

Here they are Courtesy of Techtonics Tuning (For the connecting rod bearings) and GSF for the rest.

We LOVE Shiny new parts don't we guys?

and NOW, we commence with the engine rebuild. Finally! Woohoo!

'82 Mk1 GTI

'86 Mk2 GTI

'06 Mk5 GTI

My '82 Mk1 GTI Project

Back to the top
What a releif!!!  Now you can seriously get cracking… get those updates flying in mate!!!

Back to the top
Good colour choice for asia, if its in the UK it will a big turn off. used to drive white mk2 in malaysia. look clean too. Also your project coming along very quick. i guess the weather there still sunny. all the best to you mate.

Back to the top
by the way which part of Brunei are you? got a friend in Kampung sungai akar.

Back to the top
keep moving mate, fresh white, you can't beat it….

You saving for a massive set of BBS RMs, with more chrome than you can shake a stick at??

'83 Black GTI Cab on BBS RAs - DreamBoat 3000'

Resto = http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=67552

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.