Skip navigation

2.0litre 16v Kjet from a passat...Bike carbs instead?

Back to the top

2.0litre 16v Kjet from a passat...Bike carbs instead?

I have above engine in my Golf Gti..

However i just don't like the kjet fueling system.. primarily because of its lack of tuning capability's (however if you know of any.. then please say :)

So i am thinking of going the Bogg brothers R1 Bike carb conversion route.. mainly because i'd rather keep it old skool tuning.. don't really want computers etc in there (I realise bike carbs where never how it was meant to be originally anyways.. but you know what i mean)

So basically i was gonna just throw it out there and see what you guys think.. if anyone has done this to this type of engine? or has any immediate worrys/dislikes with this?

Any helpful threads would be GREAT also!

Im not looking for MASSIVE power (ie under 200bhp is fine).. just want a lovely noise and it to run nice.. as it is my daily driver.

Cheers in advance guys!

Back to the top
K Jet is more tunable than bike carbs! If you just don't like it, by all means go for bike carbs then but you're misinformed if you think it will magically give you more power, better running, etc. Its all a big myth, I'm afraid.

K Jet - use a 1600 metering head, do the WUR mod, get it set up properly = nice starting, smooth running at all stages, economical on part throttle and power on full throttle.

Back to the top
Well i have always hoped that the system the engine already runs would be tunable..
But literally EVERY1 including mechanics etc etc… have basically told me i have a horrible engine.. and to either get a 1.8t instead..
Or get Bike carbs on there so it can be tuned easier.

(I have been very dissheartened by this as i'm sure you can imagine!)

So the current system.. can indeed be tuned up?
What kind of level are we talking?

Cheers man

Back to the top
The Passat would have come with KE-Jet but you mentioned K-Jet - there is a difference, junk the KE jet stuff adn use the K-Jet. You'll already have some of the stuff because you have a Mk1 GTI? If not, then you can use the KE-Jet's 5th injector and 5x injector fuel lines but you'll need the WUR, its fuel lines, and metering head. Use the Mk1 GTI airbox. Although not strictly fuel injection, you can use the ISV from the Passat with a Mk2 Golf GTI 16V ISV module, or plumb in your existing AAV. Or, block up the holes (can will idle low on warmup, but its not a serious issue if the engine runs well).

Back to the top
mate not only do bike carbs out perform k jet your bay looks so much better with out all those nasty pipes and wires and you also save about 10lb in weight i run zzr1100 on my 2.1 16v i also make manifolds give me a look up  thanks lea

8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O

Back to the top

lea said

mate not only do bike carbs out perform k jet

Can you back that up? Rolling road printouts? 1/4 mile times???

Back to the top
i have a 200bhp 20vt and paul_c runs a 2 litre 16v in a 1/4 mile race the 16v is quicker and its on k-jet

bike carbs are no good for tuning k-jet is your best bet get it tuned perhaps look at pauls build thread

Back to the top
but isn't pauls stripped out and yours is a cabby ben so surely its the weight that makes pauls quicker? correct me if i'm wrong  :dontknow:

Back to the top
Everyone reckon's mine's fast because it weighs so little, but its not really the reason. If you added up what's come out, its not that much. It still has steel body panels, rear wiper, stock drivers seat, glass, etc. And the 16V engine weighs more than the 8V.

Back to the top
but doesn't a standard cabby weigh more than a tintop before you even start taking bits off?

Back to the top
k-jet you guys are stuck in the dark ages . your just stuck in your ways dudes try something new !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you may be surprised

:roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Back to the top
…but still faster/more power. I'll stick with my "prehistoric" technology, thanks!

Back to the top

rustys_mk1 said

but doesn't a standard cabby weigh more than a tintop before you even start taking bits off?

mine was stripped when i ran agaisnt paul i even had slicks on so the eight thing isnt an issue on the strip as i ran a fastewr time with all the interior in it  :lol:

pauls is quick because the k-jet has been set up correctly using the 1.6 metering head also the wideband paul has helps with the tuning  :wink:

he wont beat me again tho :mrgreen:

Back to the top
but if a cabby weigs more to start with if the cabby is stripped and so is the tintop then the cabby will still weigh more? or am i missing something?

i've heard you can get more torque from bike carbs but i may be wrong  :dontknow:

Back to the top

rustys_mk1 said

i've heard you can get more torque from bike carbs but i may be wrong  :dontknow:

Its myths like these which just muddle things for people. To date, I've not heard of ANY cases where someone's fitted bike carbs and made comparable gains to the same amount of time/effort/money spent on a K-Jet setup. No 1/4 mile times, no comparable rolling road printouts, etc etc. If I had done a 'pre conversion' rolling road session, spent ages and money on bike carbs, then did another rolling road session only to find a 0% or 1% gain, I'd not be shouting from the rooftops LOL.

Back to the top

rustys_mk1 said

but if a cabby weigs more to start with if the cabby is stripped and so is the tintop then the cabby will still weigh more? or am i missing something?

more noise  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
i seen a vid on youtube the other day kid claimed he had just done carbs and an exhaust and was claiming 120 at the weels same day a standard 2.0 16v got 91 at the wheels. no slips to prove it though.

Back to the top
i think the only way to settle this is fight fight fight !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

who s up for it then

:twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Back to the top

lea said

i think the only way to settle this is fight fight fight !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

who s up for it then

:twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

santa pod vw action im sure i could give you a kick in the nuts :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :mrgreen:

or failing that the bumper cars normally sort the boys from the men :mrgreen:

Back to the top
but that would only prove that an 1.8t is faster than a 16v on carbs. this ones down to paul i'm afraid ben  :lol:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.