Skip navigation

`mr fresh`s Mk1 in for a makeover...Almost there

Back to the top

`mr fresh`s Mk1 in for a makeover...Almost there

`mr Fresh` from the forum and club recently asked me to paint his Mk1 so today i made a start.
First all the windows came out then i gave her a quick buzz over with the DA to see if there where any gremlins in the old paint…

Here you can see the problem areas..

As you can see the scuttle area is in a bad way

Next i took off the old side decals using the `toffee wheel` which tears them off without damaging the paint..

Tomorrow i`ll start attacking the rusty areas :)

keep on keeping on

Back to the top
Wicked cheers for putting that up tim!

Photobucket

Back to the top
A toffee wheel !?!?!…. sounds like a christmas party rival to the chocolate fountain !?!?

What you going to do with the scuttle tray?  Is it something you can save?

New door in line ?

Back to the top
Will be good to see this re-sprayed. Might be  a stupid question but can a toffee wheel be used on glass to take sunstrips or tints off? If it doesnt effect the paint then it sounds like it would be ok..?

Back to the top

Spudfingers said

A toffee wheel !?!?!…. sounds like a christmas party rival to the chocolate fountain !?!?

What you going to do with the scuttle tray?  Is it something you can save?

New door in line ?
The scuttle will be repaired which i will post here soon and the door also as its not that bad.
The only bit thats really rotten is the tailgate which will go in the bin! :)

keep on keeping on

Back to the top

ross_m said

Will be good to see this. Might be  a stupid question but can a toffee wheel be used on glass to take sunstrips or tints off? If it doesnt effect the paint then it sounds like it would be ok..?

I`ll check on that one for you Ross ok

keep on keeping on

Back to the top

toffee wheels

Bit late now but I wouldn't bother with toffee wheels on standard vinyl, it comes off easily and normaly quicker with a heat gun. Toffee wheels are intended for reflective vinyl really due to the make up of it (honeycombe structure, sometimes metallic particles, and a super strong solvent adhesive) and it can be quite easy to burn paint with a toffee wheel if spinning to fast and on one area for just a few seconds too long.

Especially easy on glass just to warm it up as you go along, softening the glue and then remove residue after with a solvent cleaner.

Anyway, looks like a nice mk1 :y:

Rich

Back to the top

Re: toffee wheels

MyFirstMK1 said

Bit late now but I wouldn't bother with toffee wheels on standard vinyl, it comes off easily and normaly quicker with a heat gun. Toffee wheels are intended for reflective vinyl really due to the make up of it (honeycombe structure, sometimes metallic particles, and a super strong solvent adhesive) and it can be quite easy to burn paint with a toffee wheel if spinning to fast and on one area for just a few seconds too long.

Especially easy on glass just to warm it up as you go along, softening the glue and then remove residue after with a solvent cleaner.

Anyway, looks like a nice mk1 :y:

Rich

Is that so Rich?i`v never once nor has any of my friends in the business ever burnt the paint through using a TW,obviously your doing it wrong then and as for taking it off quicker with a heat gun,rubbish.If the Vinal is very thin it just snaps off in tiny pieces.

keep on keeping on

Back to the top
Today i had a poke around all the rusty areas and had a look at the sills as they a bit beaten up :)

Vey rusty tailgate..in the bin with that.

I cut away the corner on the rear valance to see the damage behind

Had a look behind the number plate lights to check out the rot..

Cut the corner of the door off to see how bad the steel is behind to decide if i can repair it

Then checked out the sills..

Big dent in the sill,will use the pin puller to get that one :)

keep on keeping on

Back to the top
Hiya tim, cheers for putting the pics up mate. Looks like your getting on well with it all.
Will it need a new rear panel?

Photobucket

Back to the top

mrfresh said

Hiya tim, cheers for putting the pics up mate. Looks like your getting on well with it all.
Will it need a new rear panel?
No mate,just a piece of lower valance as the rest of the panel is in good order :)

keep on keeping on

Back to the top
hi timski,

I've watched your work for a while on here and it really looks top notch. The trouble with most bodyshops these days is they can't be bothered with older cars, they either give you silly quotes or never get back to you!

Are you still avaliable for resprays, I thought you were going over to the fartherland?

Whats a pin puller - can we have some pics of it in action?

Back to the top

jimbomemphisbelle said

hi timski,

I've watched your work for a while on here and it really looks top notch. The trouble with most bodyshops these days is they can't be bothered with older cars, they either give you silly quotes or never get back to you!

Are you still avaliable for resprays, I thought you were going over to the fartherland?

Whats a pin puller - can we have some pics of it in action?
Yes i`m still available mate as i spend  time in both countries  and i have a good team around me for when i`m not in the UK :)

keep on keeping on

Back to the top
Hi Timski,

I slowly coming to the end of my build, just a few more things to do, what sort of price would I be looking at for a full repaint? I realise that you have to look at the car to give a proper price but just a ball park!?

I've just about finished all the welding which has included near rear quarter, new back panel, rear arch and sill sections (all original panels). the next job I want to tackle is the glass sunroof. Once this has been done I'm planning of getting it dipped and e-coated here:

www.surfaceprocessing.co.uk

In regards to the sunroof I was thinking of joggling the roof around the aperture, triming a piece to fit the aperture (the same point from another roof) then bonding in the panel using the same type of bond that they use for door skins! This way there is no distorsion, it wll be strong and there is no cutting the whole roof skin off! Obviously I would do this after dipping and e-coating.

Let me know what you think.

Back to the top

Re: toffee wheels

Timski said

Is that so Rich?i`v never once nor has any of my friends in the business ever burnt the paint through using a TW,obviously your doing it wrong then and as for taking it off quicker with a heat gun,rubbish.If the Vinal is very thin it just snaps off in tiny pieces.

You were a little quick on the offensive there, I was trying to offer words of caution to amature users as it certainly is easy to burn paint, how is spinning a solid rubber wheel against paint not going to create heat???

There are exceptions to the rules as with anything so very thin vinyl will break up, but as an experienced signwriter, myself and colleagues would choose heat guns over wheels 9/10 on non reflective vinyl.

So yes, you obviously are doing it wrong if you're burning paint, but there's no need to assume I have no idea what i'm talking about and be frankly insulting.

Thank you for my first bad experience with a fellow member :roll:

Back to the top
Thanks for my build thread turning into this! :roll:

Photobucket

Back to the top
love the look of your car mate, modified to be sexy and drive well,  but nicely oem too. Tim said it was a nice example when i saw him today, should be even better when painted!

Back to the top

mrfresh said

Thanks for my build thread turning into this! :roll:
Tell me about it mate.what a muppet :banghead:

keep on keeping on

Back to the top
Next the wings came off and both were rotten where they met the scuttle panel

Lots of surface rust on the underside of the bonnet..

But i sorted that out with my trusty die grinder

along with the usual rust around the rear number plate lights

Bodyshell all stripped and halfway ready to be primered…

keep on keeping on

Back to the top
Today i finished off the bodyshell and painted her in primer..

Al in guide coat ready for the next stage :)

keep on keeping on
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.