Skip navigation

My Mk1 Golf Cabriolet

Back to the top

My Mk1 Golf Cabriolet

Ive had it a few weeks now but not gotten around to putting a post on here! Well its a 1987 1.6 Cabriolet! Up to now i've bought a few things and gotten it painted….here's the pics

On route home…towed by the Ford Burgular van…

On the drive..

Battle scars.

Wing off…

The engine bay has seen better days..

Coat of underseal

Underseal + Paint

New Wing

Sanded down..

Ready for primer

Base coat of black

Then the Helios blue

Flattend down..

Polished + satin black badges

Inside is minging

The old brake fluid black/green colour

Fitting coilovers

and new disks and pads

Her first wash..

Could'nt resist the roof down

Engine bay is degreased, needs doing again but i've fitted engine and gerabox oil, plugs, dizzy cap, rotor arm, oil/air/fuel filters and the full gear linkage kit

Thats as it is at the minute, i've ordered the crosshair headlights and single badgeless grill, new door pins, bush for throttle pedal but they should be here in the next few days.

I've polished two of the wheels face's up to pretty much chrome with the help of a friend, we'll be doing the other two at the weekend. I'll get the pic of that when i go down the garage next. Then the interior needs sorting badly!

Back to the top
looking good!!  :D

Back to the top
Thanks!

The wheels before and after (i know they need a wash)

Back to the top
looking gd mate, love the colour

Back to the top
You didn't hang about then! 8O  Top work, love the colour :wink:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
top work! wish my cabby looked anywhere near that good.

small bumpers ftw. :)

Back to the top
Wow Thanks for all the good comments :-) Its pretty much ready for its mot now, gotta fit the exhaust tomrrow then try and get it booked in, I've grown to like the wheels now they have been sproused up haha

Here's a few more pics

Back to the top
Looks really good mate, I wish I had a larger garage and I'd give mine a lick of paint too.

Gotta love this pic though.

T :lol:

Back to the top
Haha is that because it has my yawning oily mate in the picture!

It's much easier having a big garage, Thats at my dads house tho, sadly up for sale too :-(

Back to the top
She's past the mot :-) :-)

Back to the top

H2XBY said

She's past the mot :-) :-)

Happy days mate.

T

Back to the top
Hi mate, car looks sweet!!

I have the same wheels on mine but look just like yours did before you polished them. What did you do to get them looking so fine?

Back to the top
Hi, not sure if this is the right way of doing it but i just used the same sanding discs as i was using to sand the car down on the sander because the corroding was pretty bad, then i wet n dried them with 1700 paper and then a quick once over with 2400 i think it was. Then i got the polishing wheel on the drill and used that with some autosol. Took about two hours per wheel but that was sitting chatting with a mate so you could prob do it quicker. They arnt perfect but they look 1000 times better than what they did! They'll do until i get some new ones.

Back to the top
Ian you left your mirrors on to paint? tu tut  :lol:

paulydixon.com

Back to the top

Tian said

Looks really good mate, I wish I had a larger garage and I'd give mine a lick of paint too.

Gotta love this pic though.

T :lol:

looking nice, yep i need a big garage too! I got my Cabby as the body was ok, and I don't have the facilities, but would have a go if I did.
How you got on with the interior/ Seats etc…?

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top

paulydixon said

Ian you left your mirrors on to paint? tu tut  :lol:

I'm buying new ones or wanting a checky stickers over the top

Back to the top
Having a garage is a big help, i hate working outside in the cold.

I've had the carpet cleaner hoover out on the interior, Its all came up mint but sadly it does'nt fix the bolsters lol I'm looking for a new interior but no hurry. Gonna see if i can get lupo gti or ibiza cupra. Going to measure the rear seats in both to see how wide they are. Dont know if anyone on here has it already?

Back to the top
Wow! Those wheels look great; I have the same ones and they too are all corroded. I'd have a go at polishing them like you but I'm  not sure I have the patience for 2 hours work! What is a polishing wheel for a drill anyway? Can you get sander attachments for a drill also because that would save time surely? Oh and did you coat them with anything to protect them? did you use a Dremel type thing with attachments to sand them?

I'm a big fan of keeping a car the way it was designed and I think your wheels look ace. Stick with them!

Sorry for all those questions, it's just I was going to get my wheels sprayed then I noticed yours and was amazed :d

1989 MK1 VW Golf GTi Cabriolet, 'All White Edition' - currently having a new blue roof fitted. Yes it's not white but it requires less Cif to clean :)

Back to the top
I'm not even sure if its called a polishing wheel, its just an attachment that you put on the end of the drill that buff's up the wheels with the autosol. I'll take a pic when im next down the garage, I guess you could use a dremmel but you dont want to put any scratches in the alloy so i just used the orbital sander with plenty of sanding discs and it flattened them down perfect! A "mouse" would be good too with it being smaller! Its well worth the time, its half the work if you've got a mate to help you……….

Back to the top
stunning! :D
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.