Skip navigation

77 Golf 1 GLS Project (Australia)

Back to the top

77 Golf 1 GLS Project (Australia)

ive just always wanted a series 1 in yellow, so had to try make my s2 look like one…

my build thread…
http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=18090&start=110

Back to the top
Thanks mate, ill have a read  :D

I hope you are keeping yours that orange colour! Thats mint as!

Cameron

1977 Volkswagen Golf GLS Automatic

Back to the top
So, today I went to a breakers yard and found an old cassette player with am/fm radio in a mk1. It also has an Auxiliary input which is the reason I took it. My plan is to take it apart and see what makes the Aux input, then transfer it over to my 'Pressmatic Delux' radio.

I also got another dash mat (which I will offer to Ross first as he was interested), some rear lights, a new bonnet latch and best of all, a kamei door pocket with cup holder! The passenger side one had been taken but the person left the drivers side  :dontknow:

I also bought some stuff from this website and from the moonequip website in the US. Couple of other things as well, you will have to wait and see though  :mrgreen:

Cameron

Back to the top
Moon gear?

I sense some colour coding on the horizon :P

Back to the top

tyeness said

Moon gear?

I sense some colour coding on the horizon :P

Nah, no yellow stuff. Its all black.

I want a black interior  :(

Cameron

Back to the top
Awesome car dude, loving the series 1 autos, got a 78 s1 1.5 auto myself, awesome cars! Looks really clean too, then again, you's have better weather than us here in the UK! What engine is in it, it don't look too familiar, is it a 1.6?

I'll be watching this one, loving the wheels too, never seen them before!

'78 Golf LS 20vt

‘08 Mk5 Edition 30 DSG

Back to the top
Hey mate, yeah its a 1.6. Thanks for the comments  :D

Loving your car mate, white is my second fave colour on Mk1 Golfs.

In other news, I now have no roof-racks…. My fiance and I recently moved half way across the country to a lovely place called the Gold Coast however, the transport company were careless while loading my car onto the train shipping container and the roof-racks were pushed off by the top of the container.

I now am lacking roof racks and the car has some scrapes and damage under the rain-trays that run across down the sides of the roof.

Luckily, the transport company will have to replace the roof racks and the only ones that are similar to mine are on Crazy Quiffs website so the Transport company will get a rather rude surprise when it comes to replacing them hahaha  :lol:

In other news, my coilovers are 1 week away and I am about to buy some new Outer CVs, new wheels bearings (for all wheels), strut top mounts and a new Alternator. Then do a service on her and she should be good to go for a while.

Cheers

Cameron

Back to the top
Oh, and heres a pic of the Riken Turbos with new Toyo 165x50x15" tyres

Cameron

Back to the top
8O I hope the damage isnt too bad. Are they paying for that too?

Wheels and tyres look niiiice  8)

Back to the top
that is one nice car…. gorgeous  :clap:

Back to the top
Alright so heres an update. In my own garage now and the strip down has started.

HotTunning coilovers should come next week, still got to get some spacers to fit the rikens on but no rush now obviously.

Coilovers ended up costing $550 brand new with 2yr warranty, not bad me thinks.

Photos

^ The rear euro quaters were stuck on with silican so this needs to be attended to asap.

^ Found this, not too bad. Won't take much to fix.

^ Interior half stripped, getting there.

^ Damage from when the roofracks came off during transport. Transport company are being asshats and trying to get out of it. $250 roof racks down the drain  :banghead:

Cameron

Back to the top
Reading this reminds me of stripping my 76 - it's surprising just how many parts there are!

Keep up the good work 8)

Rich

Back to the top
Alright guys and girls, its come down to this..

I need a second car so Betty will be coming back on the road pretty soon. I will need to fix the bits of crappy paint and little bits of rust.

First however, there are some things I need to do and have now thankfully got the cash for.

Tell me what you think and if I can improve on this..

Engine:
Heron 1600cc motor
Kent GS1 (280deg) cam (from TSR)
Kent vernier pulley (from TSR)
Weber 32-36 carb on passat manifold with decent filter. (already purchased)
GTI oil cooler
???4-2-1 extractors perhaps???
???Larger radiator???

Drivetrain:
4sp Mk1 GLD gearbox
lightened flywheel
bigger clutch

Suspension/Chassis:
Coilovers (hottunnings on the way)
SuperPro Polyurethane Bushings (all around - from TSR)
Mk1 GTI brakes
22mm stub axel spacers
15mm H&R hub centric spacers

Then there?s the external trim that I need which includes chrome side trim, rear euro spats, front cl spoiler, grill and cabby opening quarter vent windows.

Tell me what you think and give any suggestions you think could help.

Don?t forget, I don't want an all out bruiser which is why I am going heron motor, I just want a fun little mk1 with a bit of get up and some retro flare

Cameron

Back to the top
Sounds cool!

I'd say definitely get yourself the manifold/extractor and even a higher flowing system. Maybe twin Carbs too? Seems a bit odd to me to put a cam like that in, and not really adjust the breathing to suit  :dontknow:

Back to the top
Hey mate,

A free flowing exhaust will come along too later on.

In regards to the carb, I can not afford duel dcoes at the moment unfortunately so ill have to do with a smaller weber, it should still be better than the standard solex carb however.

Cheers

Cameron

Back to the top
Yup it definitely should :)

Give me a shout when you're ready for twin carbs if you like? I've just bought a set and may know of a couple of other pairs of either DCOEs or Dell DHLAs going for not very much money - I managed to pick mine up for $263au

Back to the top
jesus, $263! I paid $350 for my 32-36 weber, manifold and filter…

Cameron

Back to the top
Well, they weren't new obviously! But I think I did pretty well :) They seem really good too they just need a clean up and a re-build.

Webers are stupidly expensive new though DCOEs are about $700au each over here :(

Back to the top
Hey mate, if you can please check if there is any duel 40 dcoes available? Would love them, found a place in south africa for a good manifold.

dcoes over kent cam and pulley, one thing at a time

Cheers

Cameron

Cameron

Back to the top
Ok guys, change of plans re: motor…

I have been offered the following..

1.6 bored and stroked to US spec 1.7. Bottom end fully balanced. 11:1 compression pistons. Head ported and polished. genuine G grind cam. baffled sump .4-1 tuned length extractors. fully rebuilt about 15,000 K's ago. estimated around 125HP also throwing in a lightened flywheel for $550 AUD compared to stock Heron motor at $400 AUD.

I reckon the 32-36 DGAV Weber and Passat manifold will go nicely with this.

What do you guys think?

Cameron

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.