Skip navigation

overheating GTI

Back to the top

overheating GTI

right for the sake of a coule of quid change the sender, and also get a thermometer (wilkinsons and tescos etc normally sell them for a quid or so) and double check what it says is right.

also consider a new expansion cap too, just incase,

this really has got me stumped dude, im sorry  :cry:

Daily - 05 plate B6 A4 Avant S Line, with 19s for the summer.. wifes car - Rare Seat Exeo ST Sport 170 Tech
Weekend - MK2 20vt monster - Plus a mk1 caddy I am fixing for my bro

Back to the top
had another thought

there isn't a coolant level sender as far as I am aware, and the flashing light is just as a warning to say its overheating

could this be an electrical fault with the clocks?

Back to the top
It might be. Do the test with a thermometer, this will tell you if its overheating or not. Does the gauge read hotter after you've done the work, than it did before you did the work?

Back to the top
what temp should the water be at?

Back to the top

jools182 said

what temp should the water be at?

Coolant will go up to, then boil at around 120 deg C if its under pressure, but you won't be able to stick the thermometer in the cooling system to do this. If its not under pressure, and it has coolant in it, it will boil at around 105-110 deg C. If its plain water, then 100 deg C.

So, you'll want a little reserve below this temperature.

Back to the top
just typed out a huge reply then computer crashed, i'll pm you my number give me a call before 7.30 pm or tomorow morning. also might be worth posing a pic up of the engine bay , maybe somebody will spot something wrong, and also check your fan is working  and that the valve is fitted  correctly . ie not back to front, and cable working as it should.

Mk1 2l TSR G60.  .getting. There twice as fast

Mk1 lhd diesel…….getting. There for half the cost

Back to the top
thanks for all your help everyone

fingers crossed I think I have fixed it

I think it was a loose earth that I disturbed.

There is a wire connected to the rocker cover which goes down to the back of the engine somewhere, anyway, the connector had come loose and the wire was a bit flaky. Put a new bit of wire in and a connector and it seems ok
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.