Skip navigation

Webber carb

Back to the top

Webber carb

i have a 1.8 cabrio with a webber carb, just got the car app 6 months now and everytime i accelerate it feels like not enough fuel is going to the carb, i've removed the carb and cleaned ou the jets but the problem is still there, pulls fine when i rev it lightly but as soon as i press it, lacks power.
I have taken some pics of the engina bay and carb but no idea how to upload them?
Thanks

Back to the top
If you post them on photobucket, once they haveuploaded, you will see 4 links just below each picture, right click on bottom link and copy, then paste on your post
Pete :wink:

Back to the top
my pierburg does the same i was just going to order a weber to rectify this but no im not so sure hope you sort the problem mate if you do can you let me know what it was too thanks

Back to the top

Webber carb pics

Back to the top
when did you last check the timing?

Back to the top
Have you got a wider shot of carb and some of right side?
For some reason i can not see your Vacuum pipe that should go from back of carb and join on a y-piece adaptor, one going to the left of carb and one to right to servo pipe?
Reason i mention this is even thou you have the air filter box off that pipe on the right should be visable.
I can see vac pipe from the left side of carb.
Have you checked fuel sender underneath rear bench for rust blocking the small filter, have you replaced filler neck if it already hasn't been checked or replaced, i see you have fitted new fuel pump, why not fuel vapour separator above it?
Also i don't like the look of the fuel pipe going to the carb, looks like vac hosing?
Change your rocker cover gasket also, and reposition the ht leads over the fuel pipeand water pipe as how you have it now you are putting stress on them as they have to bend around numerous pipes thus can cause cracking in the leads, leave them at top so resting freely on other pipes.
Check the dizzy cap androtor arm to see if any damnage, and lastly as suggested by Novacaine, Timing, but i do think this is elating to the vac piping, but we'll get everything covered and get you sorted
Yes i am a fussy git :lol: but their is a reason for my madness

Back to the top
Hi, I had a similar experience on my Mk2 1800 GL. Despite changing the fuel filter and checking the tank filter, the issue would not go.

I took the cover of the carburettor and discovered lots of debris inside the carburetor bowl, it was this debris that was blocking the jets etc.

The debris comes from the fuel separator / return reservoir mounted just below the carb. There is no filter after this before it gets to the carb.

After a time it will rust internally and shed debris. I purchased a new one from GSF. I cleaned the carb, all the fuel lines out and replaced the filters. You can fit an additional in line filter between the separator and the carb for additional protection. It worked for me.

Back to the top

Peddersgolf said

Also i don't like the look of the fuel pipe going to the carb, looks like vac hosing?
quote]

Thats just fibre rapped fuel hose pete. perfectly normal. i even have it on my car.

Back to the top

Peddersgolf said

Have you got a wider shot of carb and some of right side?
For some reason i can not see your Vacuum pipe that should go from back of carb and join on a y-piece adaptor, one going to the left of carb and one to right to servo pipe?
Reason i mention this is even thou you have the air filter box off that pipe on the right should be visable.
I can see vac pipe from the left side of carb.
Have you checked fuel sender underneath rear bench for rust blocking the small filter, have you replaced filler neck if it already hasn't been checked or replaced, i see you have fitted new fuel pump, why not fuel vapour separator above it?
Change your rocker cover gasket also, and reposition the ht leads over the fuel pipeand water pipe as how you have it now you are putting stress on them as they have to bend around numerous pipes thus can cause cracking in the leads, leave them at top so resting freely on other pipes.
Check the dizzy cap androtor arm to see if any damnage, and lastly as suggested by Novacaine, Timing, but i do think this is elating to the vac piping, but we'll get everything covered and get you sorted
Yes i am a fussy git :lol: but their is a reason for my madness

Hi Pete
thats indepth mate, and very thorough  :D  i will get some pics, better widershots and of the engine bay and carb.
there is a vacum pipe that leads from the brake servo but that is connected to the distributor but there seems to be another pin on the brake servo pipe that looks blocked with silicone as it think it broke off :dontknow:
Now the vacume pipe from the rear of the carb is connected to the left on the air filter :dontknow:
i will get a new fuel vapour separator and hope this sorts it, timing i will have to get a timing light and check.
Also what are your views on the air/fuel mixture screw, how many turns is adequate to adjust from closed position? I notice in the morning when i start the car it idles with a bad miss then clears off app a min after, not sure what that is, takes a while to heat up and run smooth, have to use the choke.
Cheers
for all the advice
Suren

Back to the top
Suren,
         vac pipes need placing correctly fella
Follow this tut fella,  in your case if one small pipe has snapped on the servo, Look at the last pic i posted in the link
Pete
http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=57627

Back to the top
Damn, mine is wrong :banghead: , i am going to get this sorted asap and keep posted, Great thread :wink:
Cheers Pete

Back to the top
Ok guys thanks for the advice, i have now connected the vac pipes accordingly and way much better on the idle, although the pulling power is much better it still is missing something.
From cold start with choke for app 1 min the car idles as if it has a bad miss then clears out and now it seems to have developed a flat spot at the very top of acceleration.
Still feels like its sucking air from somewhere, i think i need to change the flange but can't seem to get one anywhere, any sugestions?
i am almost there :lol:

Back to the top
think you answered your own question mate.
new flange.
might be worth redoing your timing now aswell

Back to the top
will do, nice 1, will keep posted on outcome

Back to the top
You have all my symptons and Vac pipe problems…..any update?

(I will be sorting my Vac pipes and fuel pipe issues this weekend)

Out of interest….what is the Carb Flange that we need? Can it be ordered from GSF? (I have the webber carb too)

Back to the top
You here there and everywhere :lol:
Get from here as they are cheapest at moment, credit crunch and all gotto save every penny we can
before you say, they are same on the mk2 golf also :wink:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-MK2-CARBURETTOR-MOUNT-FLANGE-1-6-1-8_W0QQitemZ330315300765QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item330315300765&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Back to the top

shooterdee said

You have all my symptons and Vac pipe problems…..any update?

(I will be sorting my Vac pipes and fuel pipe issues this weekend)

Out of interest….what is the Carb Flange that we need? Can it be ordered from GSF? (I have the webber carb too)
Its the rubber metal mounting at the base of the carb, if it is cracked or worn it will need replacing. I did what Pete said and connected my vac pipes correctly and what a difference to the idle and pulling :lol: I also feel there is some air being sucked threw the flange so i am replacing that too.
Reset my air fuel mixture and idle speed yesterday and even better now with cold start, the car is smooth, will give you update when i have replaced flange, there is a sticky that Pete wrote on vac pipes, brilliant thread, cheers mate

Back to the top
Glad your sorted, but like you say you think something is sucking air in, no point adjusting anything until carb flange is replaced then it will be 100% ok for you fella

Back to the top

Peddersgolf said

Glad your sorted, but like you say you think something is sucking air in, no point adjusting anything until carb flange is replaced then it will be 100% ok for you fella
i've already ordered flange frm crazy quiff but not sure if it will ft though, as it says its for a pierburg 2e carb, emailed Richard, no reply yet, cheers

Back to the top
It's right that bud, don't worry, the pierburg carbs fit direct to that flange, when you have a weber you will have a thick adaptor plate, the weber bolts to this via 4 nuts and the adaptor plate connects to the carb flange via the orginal 3 hex headed studs, you will see how it connects when you remove the 4 13mm nuts in each corner and lift off carb
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.