Skip navigation

restoring a 79 GTI..badly painted

Back to the top

restoring a 79 GTI..badly painted

droped off the doors and tail gate today, and the guy who's spraying it thinks it'll be ready this time next week. can't wait!!!!

Back to the top
Sweet looking MK2!

Back to the top

RoadBoss said

Sweet looking MK2!

thanks!!!  :dance:

Back to the top
Just read this thread from the start mate, some serious graft's going into this! 8O  

I'm really impressed with this restoration, it's a proper comprehensive build with no short cuts - Can't wait to see this when it's finished 8)

Back to the top

jimmyesh said

Just read this thread from the start mate, some serious graft's going into this! 8O  

I'm really impressed with this restoration, it's a proper comprehensive build with no short cuts - Can't wait to see this when it's finished 8)

thanks jimmyesh, i here your fiesta's going to be quite a beast when finished  

welcome to the new world of v.w.  8)

Back to the top
had this shrick cam delivered yesterday, absolute bargain at ?56. in its original packaging from 15 years ago, guy said he had it stored  in his garage.

the shell is really coming along now, should have it home by the middle of the week, all going well, popping over there today so i'll get some pics up of progress this afternoon. also sourced a used set of front and rear seats that i can use to repair the bolster on my drivers seat.

Back to the top
wicked project thread will be keeping watch to see how it turns out.
im just about to start a mk1 resto myself so its good to see how its done.
will be looking sweet in a nice coat of silver get some pics up when its done. the powder coated parts look the buisiness too. i luckly work for a company that does blasting an coating so i can get all my bits done.
keep up the good work :D

Back to the top
here's some pics of the car as it stands at the mo.

Back to the top
Excellent job, looking good. I'll definately be watching through to the end. Hopefully you'll keep posting in this amount of detail through to the end. Not sure if I should ask? but any estimates on what this project would cost for the finished car? I'm interested in doing something like myself.

Back to the top

Cheezpie said

Excellent job, looking good. I'll definately be watching through to the end. Hopefully you'll keep posting in this amount of detail through to the end. Not sure if I should ask? but any estimates on what this project would cost for the finished car? I'm interested in doing something like myself.
lots and lots, :lol:

car itself cost me 500 plus delivery which was an extra 200
1800 for the welding 1200 for the paint, and probably spent another 400 on panels, and so far 2-300 on other bits and pieces. i should think all in all around 5-6k all in. was quite lucky with the this car because it had all the sought after parts with it, it has done less than 80,000 miles and i'm the 3rd owner, just want to get it finished and drive it!!!!!!

Back to the top
Thanks for the info.

Ye, lots.
Not too bad considering the car you'll end up with.
Keep the photo's coming.

Back to the top
O.K.  these are the last pics before paint goes on which should be going on now, all the shuts have been done and the underside as been stone chipped and painted.  and the door lines are spot on. here are the pics. will also be cleaning the block tonight so i'll have some pics of that on also.

:cheer:  :pray:  :clap:

Back to the top
cleaned the block with a wire spinner on a grinder, came up good, needs to be re-honed and then ill block enamel it

doesn't look too good in the pics, but looks real good in the flesh. any advice on a good paint for this would be appreciated..

Back to the top
bugger!!! the guy has buggered up the paint job. so not sure what to do now, he's reckons he can put it right but i have lost all confidence. so i think tomorrow i'll take the guys from work and chuck the shell on my truck and take it elsewhere.   can't believe it!! there wasn't a single panel without a dent in…..apart from the roof, and that had dust, bugs and all sorts in it! what a toss pot…..sorry no pics, was to hacked off to take em!!!

Back to the top
Feel sorry for you! I hate it when I have to leave my car with someone else!

Mars red 1982 16v KR Conversion!

View topic: My 1982 16v - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Back to the top
some pics of the bodge job…….

really dissapointed…….

Back to the top
Hard to see from the pics but you must be gutted mate, I hope you didnt part with any cash!

Back to the top
yeah the pics make it look o.k, but it is far from it. still glad to dee it in silver again, its a real nice colour. i did part with 200 but that was right at the start.

Back to the top
when you say dents i take it you mean he didnt get the panels flat from the start yea?

shame mate

Back to the top
you've done the right thing getting it back mate, there's plenty of quality body shops in the UK, you may have to travel but the dream will come true for sure.

:wink:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.