Skip navigation

restoring a 79 GTI..badly painted

Back to the top

restoring a 79 GTI..badly painted

right, were down to the most important issue, what colour.. i'm going away for a week and while i'm away the body is being preped for paint…i really love mars red, but A, i have a mars red mk2.
                            B, you don't see that many silver mk1's
                      and c, silver is the original colour.
but, i've heard silver can be an absolute pig to paint and i dont want it to come out rubbish , so what colour shall i go for????opinions very welcome, thankyou. :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :dontknow:  :dontknow:  :dontknow:  :dontknow:  :dontknow:  :dontknow:

Back to the top
Silber

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
hi mate silver i not that hard to spray i did a bike it silver once and it come out great prob the best i have ever

i have the bug for the vdub

Back to the top
got my poly bush set, couldn't help opening them and fitting them to the new powder coated bits, looks nice and clean, off to cyprus tomorrow, and the shell is finally going to be preped for paint. so hopefully in 2 weeks i'll be able to start re-assembly. then the fun starts.

Back to the top
If it was silver originally then keep it silver,they do look in silver and as you have already said you have a red one anyway.
Original is best,but I guess that is just one mans opinion :D

Back to the top
thanks everyone, think i'm gonna run with silver, and if it comes out rubbish, it'll be back to the drawing board. just got back from cyprus and the body work is underway, so hopfully the whole shell should be done in a week or a 3-4 weeks, in the mean time i'll get all the ibs and pieces ready to go back together. i'll post pics as we go. thanks again.

Back to the top
id stick with silver, if youve got yourself  a good painter, he wont struggly with it, however if your painter aint all that he cracks up to be, it'll come out all patchy. 'silver cloud'

Back to the top
yeah thats my worry, this guy restores fiat 500's and seems to know what he's doing. only time will tell. it's gotta be right or start over!!!! :twisted:

Back to the top
found these vag wings on ebay,

130 buy it now, which i thought was a bargain considering hadrians panels are 100 a pair, the guy had them stashed in his shed for years, and had given them a zinc primer and dust over so they didn't rust, these will go to the painter tomorrow. and he can finally get started.they are mint and have no dings what so ever, did notice that there is no holes drilled and the arch has no lip, but looks like it has always been like it.
 always thought that vag wings had the stamp on the top of the wing, but in fact the stamp is on the inner lip that bolts to the car under the arch!!

Back to the top
Good stuff mate, cant wait to see it all painted up!

Cameron

1977 Volkswagen Golf GLS Automatic

Back to the top
things have been a bit slow as the guy whos painting it has been away,  but he promised that he'd get on this week. here's just an update on how far the car is along to date. i dropped the new wings off this morning, and took some pics. over all i'm pleased with the progress, just really want it in paint now….

also got a few new parts this week, slave cylinders, fuel pipe -fuel tank rubber, fuel tank and accelerator grommet

Back to the top
Excellent progress but surely your repaired shell is not lying out in the open unprotected from the elements :?

BTW you gotto go original as far as the paint and stick with silver. :wink:

<a href="http://www.golfcabrio.co.uk">New Golf Cabrio Forum NEEDS YOU</a>

<a href="url">http://www.golfcabrio.co.uk</a>

Back to the top
luckily we've had some good weather as it has been out for around a week now, but she is going inside, and has had all the bare metal covered. and Yes silver is the colour!!!!1

Back to the top
54t7

Back to the top
nice work mate

where about did you get that foam??? i need some for when i rebuild mine

:D

Banner

Back to the top
Great work mate, Where did you get the tank about? New or used?

Back to the top

jellybelly said

nice work mate

where about did you get that foam??? i need some for when i rebuild mine

:D
this was the guys listing on ebay, i e-mailed him to see if he had anything wider. and he had this. 39mm wide 8 mm thick i got 5 meters for 6.50 including postage. i think its a real good find tbh. and really does the job.

Back to the top

bigw2069 said

Great work mate, Where did you get the tank about? New or used?
thanks, the tank was new. i got off e-bay for ?40. bargain,!!! zinc coated as well. a guy had it for a project that he didn't finnish.

Back to the top
here's a pic of my mk2 . i've had this for nearly 3 years and is well over due to have a 20v turbo conversion, which i have all the parts to do. once the mk1 is done this one will get the treatment. i know its not a mk1, but i just love it, and it gets comments and looks everywhere it goes. isn't retro motoring just the best!!!!

Back to the top
striped the doors and tailgate tonite, ready to be delivered and preped tomorrow,

also took some pics of the shell's progress. engine bay primered and flatened,and the inner arches, wings and underside stone chipped, so really underway

will post more updates when i can!!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.