Skip navigation

restoring a 79 GTI..badly painted

Back to the top

restoring a 79 GTI..badly painted

lol, wow, make it that low and your ready for the sparks to fly!!! are the zender turbos for sale?? :wink:

Weber,ATS,Apex,Ripspeed,Supersprint,K&N MOMO..tbc

Back to the top
Nice to see another one saved, well done!

Keep It Original

Banner

Back to the top
Nice cars - I'm looking forward to watching this one progress :)

Rich

Back to the top
looks like you have one heck of a mission there…  8O

i'll be watching for sure, good luck.

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti
1994 golf vr6 - gone but not forgotten
2005 mk5 gti family wagen

Back to the top

brucieboy said

lol, wow, make it that low and your ready for the sparks to fly!!! are the zender turbos for sale?? :wink:

haha u must be joking im helping him restore this and hes a wheel whore and i know that a friend of his who had the wheels didnt want to sell them ether so the chances of buying them off him is that youve got 2 hopes
ones BOB!

Back to the top
wheel whore indeed......

Back to the top

brucieboy said

noooo, i'll leave them in my will for you!!

Back to the top
o.k got asecond hand replacement rear panel which looked o.k in the pics, but turned out to be full of filler, so may still be on the hunt for a good 'n' if i can't straighten this one out. valuble lesson learnt,

check, check and double check if buying second hand parts off ebay!
i also got some wire spinners and started to remove the sealer from the inner wings, and suspension turrets. a fairly satisfying job, and not to time consuming.

hopefully i'll be able to get it grit blasted this week, if not early next week. should have the panels i need by then also.

Back to the top
great project,one that ill be keeping an eye on.

i hope you keep it close to the original as possible..  it'll hold more value if you do..

Back to the top
looking good mate  :D
decided what to do with the red one now you got your replacement rear panel :D

Back to the top

dubboy said

Keep It Original
x2!

Back to the top
decided to keep the original look overall, but with coil overs. and a set of bbs splits that i have in my garage. also going to keep the original wheels so i can change it back as i please. really need to get on with it but i've been sourcing bits and pieces, still haven't managed to get it to the blasters yet but i still have a lot of sealer to get rid of before it can go. i'll keep you posted.

Back to the top
Yeah, I like OEM+ too.  Keeping the car the way it was meant to be.

Back to the top
hi, sorry there have been no updates on this, decided to give the welding over to a pro, so that i don't mess it up, and on a plus side it'll be done in a week or so…..so , i dropped off the shell front panel ,rear panel, bonnet and tailgate over to said recommended welder, on sunday. also dropped over the inner wings, cill,chassis repair panel,scuttle repair panels, 2 rear arches and 2 front wings today, so hoping to get it back in a week or two all ready to send to the painters….while this has been going on i've found time to strip down the rear subframe to it's component parts ready to be blasted and powder coated among other bits and bobs that could do with a freshen up. thought i'd tackle the rear end first, and then strip out the front end parts so i dont lose track of whats what.

hubs and mounts fo sub frame

sub frame, tank shield, anti roll bars, plus bits and pieces..as you can see, looking pretty distressed, soon to be nice and shiney, like new.

Back to the top
O.K. so the welding has been started, and the guys doing a nice job, far better than i could of done anyhow.
this is a original front panel all fitted, looks almost factory and a darn site better than the pattern part that was half eaten away

the rot has been cut out front the front of the innerwing and a new hadrians panel refitted and the welds ground

a small repair on the lower inner wing where there were perferations

a panel has been made and shaped  to fill the whole in the floor, this seem so be a common problem in the passenger foot well.

scuttle repair was done by useing the hadrians scuttle repair panel, only needed the bottom half, so this was cut in half, welded and also ground.

inner wing on the drivers side had the same treatment, this side was cut around the washer bottle holder that is mounted on the inside, and it all lined up very nicely.

this is the point he's upto, just ubout to repair the top oth inner wing drivers side

tomorrow were going to fit the doors and wings to make sure all works are fine, and prepare to fit the passenger cill. should be fun!! should also look like a car again. this will also mark the end of the welding to the front end. so then it'll be on to the rear arches and chassis panels, and the small light rear panel. i'm not too happy with the small light  rear panel i have, although i'm sure its salvageable, but if any one out there has a good one i'll have it.

Back to the top
wow, you've been moving on with this.
welding looks like it should be done soon.
keep goin!

Back to the top
Hi all, just an update on the welding….

so as you can see, the inner arches on both side's are done, passenger rear arch, passenger rear subframe mount, inner cill, inner rear arch passenger footwell.

Back to the top
Nice work 8)

Rich

Back to the top
Looks like a great project mate. Loving it.

Early Mk1 GTI's are my fave.

Cameron

1977 Volkswagen Golf GLS Automatic

Back to the top
really on the down hill run now with the welding, only got the rear drivers arch inner and outer left to do, and then prep and paint.

cant belive how good the door lines are, one thiing i was worried about

third and final attempt a getting a rear panel in, and looking like a 79 ' again

looks pretty neat too…

and the rear arch all ready to go, just waiting on a inner repair panel.

i also picked up these today from the blasters, really pleased with how they come out, and i couldn't complain if i wasn't because they were done for free…..

thats most of the back end and  a couple of bit from the front of the car, should have my poly bushes buy the end of the week, then i can start re-assembling.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.