Skip navigation

Help with speakers

Back to the top

Help with speakers

drewpro said

The ones in the front are 5 1/4 and 55 rms and it's those with the distortion, also using a clarion head unit so power from that should be decent, how would you put in a high pass cut off?

What make & model speakers?

Back to the top
They are: JBL GT0507C - 2 way component speakers, 55RMS with peak of 165, they did come with splitter thing that I didn't use as I already had tweeters in the car so just did straight replacement for existing. And manual said for use with amp so didn't think I needed to use it.

/Users/cherie/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2008/16 Sep 2008/DSC01016.JPG

Back to the top
Can't really comment on those particular ones but I've just looked at the specs and they SHOULD be okay. The crossover you got would be a high-pass one but set up for the tweeters, ie the cutoff will be much higher than if you were to high-pass the 5" cone.

I've put a lot of bass through Alpine 13cm component speakers with no buzzing, maybe its that Alpine speakers are better than JBL? But then I can't do a side by side comparison.

The advice still holds - if you want to use these speakers, at high volume, use a high-pass filter to chop the bottom end off and stop it buzzing at high SPL.

Back to the top
Cool, what is a high pass filter and how do I put one on? lol sorry i'm not very technical at all!!!

Back to the top
Unless you get yourself an amp you will not get good bass. The amplifier built-in to most head units will not provide enough current to the speakers at high volume.

However, you can improve it by (as paul_c said) using a high pass filter (chop the bottom 60-100hz or so) OR sometimes a capacitor accross the voltage rails of the car stereo itself can improve things (12V, 1 Farad or close to 1 Farad will do wonders)

Also they arn't really bass speakers, you can get good bass from these, but not 'very good' and its all relative anyway :)

~Madferret

Mk1 1457cc 5door GX '83

Back to the top

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.