Skip navigation

just bought my first car.

Back to the top

just bought my first car.

am 17 and purchased my first car with the intention to create an wasome looking golf. but has thrown some problems at me.

bit untidy?

would love to hear what you think.
cheers

vw golf mk1 GX 1.5 1983

Back to the top
What are the problems you have come across so far then?  Looks a good project car though.

Back to the top
like i said in one of my other posts the revs drop and then cuts out. i stop and i will start straight away it seems to do it when i go uphill but also on and off when driving normally. i have replaced the plugs and in-line fuel filter. i looks like the previous owner changer the fuel pump i dnt know what else it could be as not overly mechanically minded. Also it leaks through into the drivers side foot well and through into drivers side passener footwell. where will it be coming from?

cheers

vw golf mk1 GX 1.5 1983

Back to the top
To get your pictures straight up just click in the bottom one of the four little white boxes below the pictures (when you're in the album view) and that should copy automatically and then you just paste it into your post.

Yradave says relax.

Back to the top
That's a decent looking GX you've got, there's a few of us with them here but that looks like a nice solid car.

Oh and as for my other post I've just read my explanation back to myself and it's a bit poor but I hope you can get your head round it, it's been a long day. :?

Yradave says relax.

Back to the top
Nice looking first car  :D

Should be cheapish to insure as well :dontknow:

Back to the top

haaaaa insurance

haaa yer fairly cheap if you compare it with say a 1.8 gti lol

i hope to get all the mechanics sorted before doing the asthetics. i know exactly what i want my car to look like but im going to have to wait. lol :banghead:

vw golf mk1 GX 1.5 1983

Back to the top
cheers yradave it took me a while but i found it thanks.

:D

vw golf mk1 GX 1.5 1983

Back to the top
yey to another GX.
best car out there haha.
nice colour too. :wink:

Back to the top
nice 1 mate. :wink:

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
oh yer. lose the gti arches.

Back to the top

Water leak

Areet matey, welcome to mk1 ownership, it's mint! Looks like a canny solid little motor you've got there, have fun tinkering with it as it is inevitable that you will start to! :lol:

Anyways, the answer behind the water leaking into the foot wells COULD be the drain bungs in the scuttle tray. In each corner you will find a rubber tube that looks like a bung from the top but will stick out at the bottom to kind of a 'cross' shape. If you pop these out it could be that they are full of gunk and leaves and that. Give them a clean out, re-fit them and it should sort the problem. This is what was wrong with mine, but it could be something else so i'd take the scuttle cover off and check for any signs of rot in the metal as this could let water in too.

Also the cutting out could be the fact that the carburettor just needs a good cleaning out! Get some carb cleaner and follow the tin instructions! Make sure that there is no build up of crap on the butterfly flap, as this will prevent it from closing properly. If the problem is still present then it could be the points in the distributor, if it is a carburettor model that is, not injection, but as it's a 1.5 then i'm presuming it is. My mates 1.3 used to play up sometimes with cutting out and running poorly and 9 times out of 10 it was the points! They are fairly easy to replace and don't take much of setting up. Your haynes manual will tell you how!

Hope this sorts some of your troubles dude!

'78 Golf LS 20vt

‘08 Mk5 Edition 30 DSG

Back to the top
wats wrong with the gti arches. lol

cheers for the help will be doing the points some time this weekend. will also be buying some new vacume pipe. anyone know where i could get some?

cheers

vw golf mk1 GX 1.5 1983

Back to the top
Try GSF as they keep a lot of parts in stock mate.

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
gsf. or any motorfactors including hell frauds.
dont like gti archs on a gx they arn't ment to be there and dont look right.

new points, condenser, rotor arm, distributor cap, plugs, leads and a check of the timing should have her running like a different car.
a quick tune up on the carb and maybe a clean wont go a miss either.

water ingress
as stated above but also to include the holes in the bulk head that are taped up but the tape comes off. have a search on here.

have a look at the speaker wires (if fitted) between the doors and body. if they arn't kinked downwards water can run in though the grommet.

pull the carpets out to dry and while they are out sprinkly some chalk or talc in the foot well and spray the car with a hose. that should help you find where the water is coming from.

dont forget to vacuum it out afterwards though. :wink:

Back to the top
cool first car mate, better than all that chav crap you see around.  :)

Back to the top
yer my family i.e dad wanted me to get one of those crappy saxo things. i just cudnt drive one. it wouldnt feel right. lol

cheers NOVO will try and make end meat of what you said. will be making sure the points are correct this week.

does anyone know a good body work/paint shop around places?

cheers

vw golf mk1 GX 1.5 1983

Back to the top
lol i kno the feeling, i stopped going in my mates corsa after he went to one of those silly max power meets. :oops:

Back to the top
Nice GX you have there.  :wink: It looks tidy enough to me. Has the suspension been lowered? You've got the same steel wheels as me  :mrgreen: What are your plans for it, other than sorting out the running issues?

Back to the top

take of the wheel arches

first take of the wheel arch cover things, full respray in green. but some porche teledials and some new set of tyres including two wide, low profile tyres for the rear. finish T-cutting the black pait of the trin (some idiot painted it all black) if i have some money buy the set of chrome bumpers if i can find them. mabey sell it afterwards. i really want a 3 door but i really like this one so do all the above to this one.

vw golf mk1 GX 1.5 1983
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.