Skip navigation

HELP - Please watch my YouTube video

Back to the top

Poor running

HELP - Please watch my YouTube video

One problem I had with my gti was,It would be running fine then it would just cut out and would not start,eventually finding that the internals of the distributer was breaking up /shorting inside,replaced the disi and no more problems.
Your fault doesn't sound like the problem Ihad but it might be worth a shot
Yours still seems like fuel/carburettor to me but it is difficult to tell unless you are stood over it,did see the utube vid by the way,hope you get it sorted :D

Back to the top
Thanks for the continued input guys. I'm going to have another look at it tomorrow with fresh eyes and see if i can sort it out. Just out of interest, what is everyone's experience of their local vw dealership with servicing/repair of mark 1s? Do you think i'm better off getting an old time garage with guys who actually worked when cars like this were common place? Finding a good one is another issue mind!

Back to the top
have a google for VW repairs in your area. there are normally a few that tend to be run by time served guys who know what they are doing.

Back to the top
Just thought I'd update you on this. Last weekend, I bravely gave up on this problem and phoned my VW dealership. They took the car in and have had it all week. I was hoping to pick it up Saturday, but have just taken a call to say that they are still not satisfied that it is right.

They say that the carb is functioning exactly as it should but cannot put their finger on why the revs are dropping off. So far they have:

1. Checked the vaccuum system - correct after I did it last weekend following Pete's guidance ;-)

2. Checked the auto choke….spot on

3. Cleaned the carb…..fine

4. Re-wired the carb solenoid (on the back left of the carb as you look at it in the engine bay) - what exactly does this do, and how does it work? They seem to think that it controls the idle? Is it related in someway to the function of the idle jet?

Anyway, problem persists……they are calling me back in a bit.

Thoughts

Back to the top
Bumb!   :lol:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.