Skip navigation

HELP - Please watch my YouTube video

Back to the top

HELP - Please watch my YouTube video

Hi guys,

Is anybody else able to help with the correct set up for my 2e2 carb? I have no idea why the hoses are in the mess it is and I have no idea where they should all connect to?????

Since the car has been running relatively ok until recently, I'm half exoecting that if I reconnct everything up with new vacuum hoses it will make a world of difference…..

Help gratefully received in return for admiration!

Thanks

DB

Back to the top
sorry bud i'm on a 1b3.

i think it might be similer though.

the pipe with the dowel in it looks to be going to the t peice.
that should run to the green sphere.
the one that is running round to the air selector (the bit at the end of the air intake) it's got a join in it. where the join is.
that should run to the fitting you can see in your first picture on the intake that has 2 pipe fittings on it.
the other side of the join should go on the other pipe fitting on there.

there should also be short peice of pipe on the back of the carb that goes to the fitting underneath the pipe with the tpeice.
hope that helps.

pics of mine wont help to much as they are slightly different in design.

Back to the top
Cheers Novo,

I've just oreder a Golf MK2 Haynes manual because apparently the 2e2 is covered better in there….

All advice is very much appreciated though.

Cheers

DB

Back to the top
Anybody got any other advice??????

Cheers

DB

Back to the top
I did ask on a mk2 forum, but nothing considering half of members on there have a 1.6 with pierburg carb :roll:

Back to the top
Cheers Pete,

I've had to have a weekend of inactivity with the car because I could not track down enough information about the 2e2. I do not have the confidence to take it apart and mess about with the vacuum pipes until i do!

I should have a MK2 Haynes manual turn up in the post any day now and hopefully that will shed more light on my problems!

Thanks

DB

Back to the top
You didn't know about downloadable one for time being, i forgot bout it myself until you gave me idea to look at my haynes.
I looked in my mk1 hanyes, i have one for the citi and mk1 golf, amazing how the mk1 manual only shows the 2B2 which is the one before the 2E2, they should update it as the cabby's have the later 2E2.
Anyway here is link for you to wait no-more bud
Pete :wink:
NOT FULL BOOK, OTHER LINK IS

Back to the top
Ta Pete, but just tried to download that and it only includes the first 18 pages which deals with general maintenance.......?

Back to the top
Oh poo, nevermind, found mine on my pendrive, all full book for you
See won't let you down
http://rapidshare.com/files/209630581/GolfJetta_MKII_ServiceManual.pdf

Back to the top
Cheers Pete, I've just got it now. Will study it carefully this week and see what parts I need. Hopefully can make a goot stab at it next weekend.

Top man, I'll keep you informed!!

DB

Back to the top
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the slow response on this but I was away last weekend and was not able to work on the car. I'm hoping to get to work on the 2E2 this weekend and give it a complete overhaul and clean to see if it sorts out any of my problems!

Having now studied the Haynes manual in great detail it looks that my whole vacuum system needs to be replaced and I'm also expecting that the flange will need replacing too as Pete said. It's now Tuesday so I need to source these parts so that I have them ready for the weekend. So where is the best place for me to get the following parts for the 2E2???

1. Suitable vacuum pipes;
2. Replacement flange,
3. Replacement gaskets.

Cheers guys

DB

Back to the top
Anyone...?

Back to the top
give us a chance mate. :wink:
vacuum hose you can get from GSF.
you can try them for a flange but if not Crazy quiff is a good place to start.
same with gaskets.

Back to the top
Carb flange is cheapest from Crazyquiff, i can't see why he won't have other parts you require has his shop has grown
Also remove the fuel sender underneath the rear seat and look for rust clogging the filter
look here:-
The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Back to the top
Cheers guys, and sorry for being impatient, I wanted to order these parts sharpish so I could get to work on the car over the weekend! I've just had a chat with CQ and he's sending me some new vacuum pipes and a new mounting bracket which I believe is also the mystical flange????

I'm going to give the carb a go with these parts over the weekend and see how it reacts and if it's still a problem Rich tells me that I can buy a complete repair kit from him for the 2E2 for around ?35!!!

We'll see how it goes this weekend first but having looked at the exploded diagrams of the carb, I am wondering if the gaskets need replacing also - does anyone have any experience with these deteriorating? Rich suggested if they have, the easiest thing to do would be to make my own???

I'm hoping that a new set of vacuum pipes and flange will do the job though. Now all I need is a good diagram/picture of where the vacuum pipes should go - very confusing from Haynes!!!!

Back to the top
I have these for now, got someone to take some pics, just awaiting them to be took and sent to me

Back to the top
Pete, you are an absolute legend!

Cheers fella

Back to the top
Here are shot of pierburg from another member from another site, if you need more let me know
Pete

This one shows the tee from the green vacuum bottle to the choke pull down and into the base of the carb

In this one, the vac hose that leads off from the thermo-pneumatic valve (next to blue silicone stub hose) goes off to a tee. One branch then goes in to the stage 2 unit and the other goes to the carb. I put the screwdriver on that branch to try and show where it goes

In this pic you can see that a hose (next to the blue silicone one that goes to the airbox) comes in from the left. This hose comes from the ttv, it tees off and the two branches can be seen in the photo. I couldn't get a pic of where they go exactly without taking the carb off, but in my green haynes Fig 3.26 shows where they connect to the carb.

In this photo, the blue silicone pipe goes to the dizzy advance and connects to a one way valve that has two side outlets (the blue pipe bing attached to one of them). The other outlet has the clear pipe that leads in to another one way valve and then on to the green vacuum bottle via the tee that i showed in one of the earlier photos. (it's actually more of a Y than a tee as you can see in the earlier photo).
If we go back to look at the first one way valve (with the two side outlets); The pipe leading from the yellow end goes off to your brake servo. The pipe at the other end goes off to the inlet manifold (where the system gets it's vacuum from).
On the bulkhead you can see another valve sitting at about 45 degrees. Sadly as yet i don't have a clue what this is!
With regard to the air box; the forward outlet on the thermoswitch connects to the vaccum controlled flap on the air intake and the rear one connects to the carb at the back.

Back to the top
Pete, thanks a lot mate, these are great. I've studied this carb a lot now and I'm pretty confident that I can get this sorted over the weekend. CQ's parts should arrive tomorrow or Friday so hopefully by lunchtime on Sat my carb should be in a much better degree of health!

I'll have a bash at it and get back on here….

Thanks again!

DB

Back to the top
Pete,

Just noticed you've updated some pictures - thanks again mate! Just about to go and start on the Wagon, will let you know how it all goes. May well be tomorrow evening by the time I respond, I'm not a natural mechanic by armed with your info, my haynes manual and some new parts I'm quietly confident!

Cheers

DB
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.