Skip navigation

HELP - Please watch my YouTube video

Back to the top

HELP - Please watch my YouTube video

Hi everyone,

My 1.8 Carb Clipper doesn?t seem to be running well, so after much bull  from various incompetent mechanics, I thought I?d make a couple of videos and see what you guys thought.

Please watch them and reply with your thoughts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl1TrKmvPDE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn9UNrOf9-0

My problems are:

1.   Very poor idle and intermittent stalling for no reason.

Stalling happens usually when in neutral approaching a junction or roundabout. The car seems to run ok until this happens, with no obvious indication that it is going to stall. Also if the car is left on the driveway idleing long enough (about 10-15 minutes) it will stall?. Initially, when started, the car will idle at 1500rpm, then do the normal drop to around 900 ? 1000 rpm but will unfortunately then continue to drop until it stalls???

The car has had new fuel filler and fuel lines and the tank has been properly cleaned since I initially thought it may have been a fuelling problem. After this work, there is now no debris in the fuel filter at all but the stalling still continues. The carb (Pierberg 2E2) and the jets have also been serviced and cleaned. I?ve had a new wax stat installed and a new automatic choke. Any bright ideas?

2.   The engine is generally very lumpy.

The engine seems to run very lumpy and sometimes under strain (up steep hills) shakes like crazy. Sometimes think it?s going to come loose from its mountings. What is causing this? Is it a fuelling issue?

3.   White smoke comes out of the exhaust.

This usually happens until the car has been run and the engine warmed for about 10 minutes. Also, if stationary at the lights for more than a couple of minutes, there is white smoke when I initially pull away?

The oil has been replaced about 3 months ago and is still at perfect level. There is no loss of coolant anywhere and no mayonnaise on the oil filler cap, dip stick or in the sump. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance guys?this car is driving me crazy!  :banghead:  :dontknow:

Regards

DB

Back to the top
1 is most likely vacuum lines and choke assuming your still on the 2e2 carb and not the weber.

2 timing?

3 is winter

Back to the top
1 is most likely vacuum lines and choke assuming your still on the 2e2 carb and not the weber.

2 timing?

3 is winter

Thanks for the reply,

I'm still on the 2e2,

1. What could be up with my vacuum lines? I've had a new auto choke fitted?

2. I had a mechanic look at the timing and he seemed to think it was fine?

Back to the top
over the years the rubber parts perish.
the choke system is heavily dependant on the vacuum system any leaks and it stops working.
easy thing to change em all for a start to rule that out.

Back to the top
Would the vacuum hose problem affecting the choke cause the car to stall at idle even when it's been running for say an hour?

Back to the top
it will effect the the carb and the fueling mate.

it's the first thing i'd check but lets see what others will come up.

Back to the top
Suppose it will, I'll definitely take another look at them but they seem quite robust and hard wearing….

Cheers mate

Back to the top

DB1000 said

Suppose it will, I'll definitely take another look at them but they seem quite robust and hard wearing….

Cheers mate
the rubber bits tend to look ok but the perish results in small leaks. lots of these reslut in enough to effect the running.
for the price of the new rubber hose you might aswell change them. :dontknow:

Back to the top
I hear you…you're right, definitely worth changing them to rule that out!

Back to the top
Your vac pipes are not connected on airfilter box on the left, defo looks like a change of vac piping is in order, i cannot see other side of the block, is it possible you can do another vid of right side carb area servo pipe area inlet manifold, also closeups on the left side.
Your timing is spot on, you need the Co's doing bud that why she is pinking and spluttering, and i'd say if you removed the carb, look at the black part it bolts too, i have a feeling yours will have a split somewhere, if you can not see any, easy way to tell is on the inner part of flange where you see the spikes in inlet manifold, press around the rubber in this are, you should feel at least one bubble, this indicates air leak bud.
I say, change carb flange, clean carb with carb cleaner, remember keep it upside down as you do so, also could be not helping that possibly you have rust in tank, very common, remove the fuel sender and get the craps out of it.
You might aswell do the lot fella, just a few hours of your time.
there is more, but basically we are looking are making sure both your fuelling and vacuum is spot on so we know that is covered.
Don't go getting emissions done til you know all areas are sorted fuel and air vac wise
?15 in parts and rest just get hands dirty for a bit
Pete  :wink:

Back to the top
might have helped if i'd watched the vids i guess. haha

now give it 5 minutes and someone will be along to give the same view. :wink:

Back to the top
Your vac pipes are not connected on airfilter box on the left, defo looks like a change of vac piping is in order, i cannot see other side of the block, is it possible you can do another vid of right side carb area servo pipe area inlet manifold, also closeups on the left side.

Cheers Pete, this is really helpful, looks like i'm going to need a close inspection of the Haynes manual over the weekend. I'll try and get a more detailed vid and some stills on tomorrow night. If you could take a look then it would be even more helpful!!!

Your timing is spot on, you need the Co's doing bud that why she is pinking and spluttering

Sorry, I'm being dull here now but what are the Co's?

Cheers

DB

Back to the top
Take to garage, they put a strobe up the rear end lol, exhaust pipe, i.e your car is either running rich or too lean aka alot of your money for petrol disappearing quickly and bad performance from engine, when on an emissions machine they can get it spot on.
Dont worry not exspensive, if you know a good garage well ask hthem if they would do it for you, will take approx 3-5 mins and jobdone, throw em a couple of quid for their time
P.s. your not dull, just new to these type of cars, we are here to help fella
Pete :wink:

Back to the top
Cheers Pete and Novo….Looks like I've got a bit of work ahead of me! I'll get some more pics and vids up tomorrow in case there is something else you can shed some light on….

I'll be back!

Cheers

DB

Back to the top
To include everything 6-7 hours tops
Pete :wink:

Back to the top
Any more pics bud?

Back to the top
Hi Pete,

No pics yet, but i'll def get some on tomorrow morning. I've had a hell of a job getting the car home today. She really started to misbehave!

I was experiencing kangaroo petrol (even when not under strain) and then almost complete loss of power followed by cutting out. It was doing this every mile or so. The car re-started straight away every time but then after a mile would do the same again. Looks like I've got a busy weekend coming up.

I'll update with pics first thing tomorrow morning (had enough for one day!) and would appreciate any advice!

Cheers

Dave

Back to the top
Hi Pete/Guys,

Here is another quick video and some stills of my carb system. I?ve had a good look around it and I am getting worried! It?s actually quite amazing the car has been ok until now? (I?ve had it since November)

There are vacuum hoses missing, vacuum hoses blocked (see the picture with the Y shaped hose with a dowel in it, and also the one on the right with a screw in it!).

Don?t know where to start really and cannot find a good diagram of how it should be?.this may be beyond me if I cannot find the correct guidance?.my own knowledge is very limited!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1s5YnRNAZs

Back to the top
Damn,  have forgotten where they go on pierburg :banghead:, i dont ususally bother with them.
I have left a message on another forum for pics to be supplied, unless someone on here of whom as either 1.6 or 1.8 with pierburg 2e2 carb can post pics up for you.
Did you say you have replaced carb flange? i really think this is going to be part of problem, disconnect Neg off battery, remove carb off via 2 bolts and checks for the bubbles i have mentioned and splits in the side of flange.
Pete

Back to the top
No I don't have a replacement flange…..when I pluck up the courage and get some more info, it will be one of the first things I check….

Some similar photos from a correctly set up 2e2 would be a real help!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.