Skip navigation

Cabriolet?

Back to the top

Cabriolet?

I looking into buying a cabriolet but not sure which one to go for and would like some pros and cons into buying one.

I really like the Clipper purely for looks, but i understand the GTI also came with the clipper bodykit. Which one is the best to look for?

Also can people give me some pros and cons to a cabriolet? I'm interested in converting the engine to either g60,1.8t or a vr6 is this a good idea or do you recomenned going for normal GTI??

also what is the hood like? is it noisy when driving and when it rains?

any help will be great…

Back to the top
Hi Satch, welcome to the site  8)

Can't help with the engine/technical side of things, but I've driven my cabbie as my daily driver all year for years now. It's my second one.

As long as the roof is well fitted you shouldn't get too much in the way of noise, there obviously is a bit more noise than in a tintop, but you get used to it. I find it weird being in a car where it's too quiet!

I don't think it's any more noisy when it rains, but TBH I've never thought about it! Again, if the roof is well fitted you shouldn't get any leaks. Hubby replaced my hood nearly three years ago and it hasn't leaked at all, even in the fiercest rain.

I've only ever had GTIs, so I can't compare them to the clipper, but I can tell you that they are fun and fast!! And having the roof down is the best!

Here's the link to the cabriolet buying guide, which should be of help in what to look out for.

http://www.vwgolfmk1.info/main/Buyingacab.pdf

I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you some help with the engine conversion info

Good luck!!  8)

Back to the top
hi it really depends what your after if its cheap fun in the sun with the roof down just a bog standard 1.6 will do but if you want all that and power go for the gti as you said you might swap the engine go for the gti as its all ready got front and rear anti roll bars bigger brakes and uprated suspension and its got a fuel pump for the injectors and all the wiring to go with it. i recently put a mk2 1.8 16v kr into mine and i didn't have to change any thing really just extend some wires. and as for the cliper body kit yea some gtis have them more the later ones but is down to the owner small bumpers chrome bumpers or cliper. and try and get one with an electric roof

he who dares rodders

Back to the top
thats great guys!

Well i want it for both really bit of hood down action and be able to go on track days etc.

So i think it is down to the gti and clipper really. Looks like it will be a GTI and i could always get the clipper bodykit if it doesn't come with it?

Are there originals still available or would you have to look really hard?

Back to the top
All GTI cabbys from about 1987 or something, came with the Clipper kit anyway, so its not difficult to find one. GTI is obviously better than the Clipper, due to the +22bhp is has. Just find a good one, not a rough one…..

Back to the top
+22?? I make it +20

90bhp carb to 115bhp Gti

If i was you id go for a later model less rust generally, with being newer. Maybe even go for a spotline or something like that, not any quicker but comes with nice buckety seats as standard.

Back to the top

ChrisRivage said

+22?? I make it +20

90bhp carb to 115bhp Gti

If i was you id go for a later model less rust generally, with being newer. Maybe even go for a spotline or something like that, not any quicker but comes with nice buckety seats as standard.

115-90 = 25!!!!

The GTI cabby is 112 bhp, 112-90 = 22.

Back to the top
I prefers the non injected models as they are so much easier to work on.

But as you plan to rip it's heart out it won't matter.

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top

paul_c said

ChrisRivage said

+22?? I make it +20

90bhp carb to 115bhp Gti

115-90 = 25!!!!

The GTI cabby is 112 bhp, 112-90 = 22.

HAHAHA oops my maths is fantastic! lol

Back to the top

funk-star said

I prefers the non injected models as they are so much easier to work on.

But as you plan to rip it's heart out it won't matter.

i get a feeling that converting the mk1 to a bigger engine isn't really liked on here?

Back to the top
u will all ways get people that say cars should stay the same as when they came out the factory but stuff them its your car your taste do what u wish and it doesn't matter what other people think

he who dares rodders

Back to the top

gundel said

u will all ways get people that say cars should stay the same as when they came out the factory but stuff them its your car your taste do what u wish and it doesn't matter what other people think

Aslong as you go for a big block (which in the mk1 means 1.5 and above) which you don't have much choice in a late cabby anyways, you'll be half way helping yourself with the future conversion! ;)

and Welcome!

1986 Cabriolet (long resto!)
1983 Cabriolet (daily pain in the bum)
1983 T25 (weekend pain in the bum)

Follow us on:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/
Twitter: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/
Instagram: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/

Banner

Back to the top
well i was thinking 1.8 turbo. possible the audi's 225bhp which can be tuned up to 265 ish quite easily. what do you think?

Back to the top
First question is, do you want to buy a Mk1 Golf convertible and then immediately do an engine conversion on it? Or do you simply want a high performance cabriolet?

Assuming the first answer, then let us know the amount of money you want to spend, performance level you want, and the intended use of the car (day-to-day car? weekends only? track days? something else?) because it all affects which is the best choice.

Have you read the engine conversions article?

Back to the top
damn it fells like like i have just been told off!

I would like to buy a convertible. I will have about 7K to spend. So basically if that can buy me the car and convert then i would be happy (probably not if i'm not going to do the work myself)

I have read the article about engine conversions and that is why i have say a 1.8 turbo would be a good choice for me. Purely because of the gains you can achieve. I would be looking to get 250-300bhp out of it.

i think with my budget though i need to keep dreaming?

Back to the top
Like's already been said, some prefer the cars to be left as standard, some prefer highly modded. Very few on here have completely standard.

Most are dropped at least a bit, and have different exhausts.

Each to their own. As long as it's done well and it's safe, it's your car!  8)

Back to the top
You might struggle to do it for that, a lot of places will charge between ?4k and ?5k to put a 1.8t in including the engine, perhaps about ?2k to ?3k without.

So that leaves you with ?2k (worst case) to actually buy the car, and upgrade it suitably for what you intend to use it for, as Coilovers, brake upgrades, ARB upgrades, wheels etc could easily cost you that much alone if you want high quality components.

Try looking at a few places like this for ideas on the conversion:

MV Developments

The Phirm

Strictly Dubs

Jabba Sport

Back to the top
I have no problems with engine swapps, in fact when I can get a cheap 1.4 tdi lump, that's replacing the 1.8!

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
Realistically when you're thinking about a swap based on a 1.8t engine, and I'm just going off what i've read on here and some researched for myself, not a 20vt but some similar..

Start off with A GOOD engine, which you know the history of cause lets be honest you pay all that money and then have to rebuild it you're not gonna be happy!

Expensive parts will always be wiring loom, suspension and brake upgrades, these engines need a custom exhaust making too.

Realistically if you can find someone to do it you'll be looking at around 7.5k for this and it's over budget before you start, which is a shame (i'm in the same boat at the minute)

I've been writing this on and off for 10 mins and can't seem to get time to do it, at work!!

It's a bit of an insight, I hope it helps anyways.

1986 Cabriolet (long resto!)
1983 Cabriolet (daily pain in the bum)
1983 T25 (weekend pain in the bum)

Follow us on:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/
Twitter: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/
Instagram: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/

Banner

Back to the top
Mv developements offer good rates on conversion.  Give them a ring or email to see if there in your price range.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.