Skip navigation

Fitting roof probs! (And hello!)

Back to the top

Fitting roof probs! (And hello!)

Yeah done the rubber foam gaskets. Only the drivers seat and the very front of the bolster on the passenger seat are marked, and it's only very pale so it will come out. I'm fortunate enough to own a Vax so it's sorted there!

Thanks for the swarfega tip, that's genius! Probably the best thing to get the greasey muck off too.

I've never understood why someone would pull  a car apart and cut holes in the interior, especially on a mk1 golf!

1989 MK1 VW Golf GTi Cabriolet, 'All White Edition' - currently having a new blue roof fitted. Yes it's not white but it requires less Cif to clean :)

Back to the top
Just 'won' myself a nice condition 4-button GTi steering wheel off eBay. I've sent the mk2 sports wheel back as it wasn't leather and pretty naff. My chrome door handle inserts turned up yesterday - proper VW oem ones in great condition, so chuffed! I was a on a roll so I purchased some JBL 6x4 speakers to go in the front doors too; can't have a topless summer without some decent sounding tunes! Spend spend spend spend spend!! Hopefully it'll all turn up by the weekend and them I'm back on the road! *wee*

1989 MK1 VW Golf GTi Cabriolet, 'All White Edition' - currently having a new blue roof fitted. Yes it's not white but it requires less Cif to clean :)

Back to the top
all sounds good to me matey,
let me know how the 6x4s sound as i still got the originals in and they are not up the job, where from n how much for them, might be interested too. not sure why someone hacked the knee bar, but there was a hefty metal plate bolted down in the drivers footwell too? nuts!!! reckon it was some sort of mechanical device for anti theft?? the chunk missing was above this so pressume thats why the knee bar chopped to allow accesses to the bar itself. looks like someone had wrapped a chain around the bar too as its scratched… mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i replaced the rear speakers in the rear quarters so they are ok, they were missing. i am afraid my cabby has been mucked aboiut a bit. its taken some time to get her right, still got some way to go but getting there..Yay

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
I got the JBL's from Ebay, only ?25 inc P&P and the seller has loads of them. Go grab yourself a pair! The rear quarter speakers in my car have been disconnected so I'm thinking of getting rid of the perished 6x9's in the parcel shelf and just replacing the original rears, using the wiring for the 6x9 so I don't have to faff around. That would mean having to replace the parcel shelf though and they aint cheap  :banghead: What speakers did you use and are they any good?

That setup in your car sounds crazy. Sounds like something for a disabled driver perhaps? How long have you had it?

Back to the top
had my cabby coming up to 2 years.
Only done 1300 miles in her when I got her.
Why does someone put speakers in the parcel shelf? I had the same problem, with the hood down a waste of time. Got rears off my mate who had them lying around in his unit. he saw the state and took pity on me. They still had the price on the  box, not sure what make but they were ?49.99. Knowing my mate he didn't pay that, always haggling that one.
Generous too. I am Godfather to his kids and I helped rebuild his house when the builders  messed it up.So fairs, fair.

yep the anti theft was mental. not sure how it worked as all I had was the metal plate bolted to the floor and the chunk missing out of the knee bar.

Re done my seats inc foam bases, new outer scraper seals all round, replacement B pillar Seals, new knee bar cover, repaired the blown L.C.D. display in the clocks, new eye brow spoiler, new chrome insert in the windscreen, re fitted the carpets, no gaps, aqua vacced the complete interior, replacement door cards (although these are Black from a GTI)  so would replace these with grey ones at some point. done more but cannot remember all of it, If I am not driving it i am restoring it in some shape or form.
Phew!!!

Back to the top
Got the speakers today, they don't sodding fit!! The magnet/driver is too large in diameter to fit into the door through the plastic surround….luckily there's a bit of a lip that I can grind away with a dremel, I'll have a go tomorrow and it should be fine. They sound so much clearer than the originals and the bass is much 'tighter', if not exactly pounding. You're right about parcel shelf speakers being a stupid idea. Not only can't you hear them when the roof is down, but as they stick up higher than the shelf they get pushed on and warp the damn thing.

Not been a succesful day all round….finally got the back window in but it doesn't quite sit on the frame at the bottom. I must have bent the damn thing when I was stapling so tomorrow I've go to take all that apart too and bend it back up. What a clumsy idiot, luckily it's only a minor mishap. Apart from that it's looking ace, the chrome handle inserts look brilliant.

Back to the top
Shame about the JBL'S mate, my rear shelf is bent too, so that's another thing to get. Think I will have a good look round the different dealers for the speakers and as I have a spare speaker pod, take that with me. If I see something that seems right, may look for it on the Web, unless I take my mate and he can haggle me a deal  :lol:  There is always something to sort out on these cars, my fan/heater blower motor has stopped again. It initially blew the fuse and had been noisy before, so checked the rotation and it was really stiff so gave it a load of WD40 and it became free, was blowing a gale once I replaced the fuse. so it's back to the drawing board on sunday. probably gonna replace the motor provided it isn't the switch this time. So start with the fuse, check rotation if stiff or siezd replace. I already got a spare switch in case I need it.

Sounds like you getting on with the roof ok, except the frame bit, but i am sure you will sort it out. put some piccies up too. got to do mine really at some point, but need to really do it under cover in case it rains, so my mate has said I can use his unit as soon as the land rover he is doing goes off to Oman, Fire engine conversion on a long wheelbase.
How long did it take you to do your roof?

Back to the top
The speakers fit in the pods perfectly, they just wont go into the hole in the door through the black plastic surround (the door pocket moulding). To be honest if I took the door panel off I'd be able to remove this and just bend it around the speaker and all would be fine, but I'm too lazy and a dremel is much more fun :D

I've been doing the roof since….well….December! I haven't had much time and the car is stored away from my house so it has been a very slow process. Now I've done it though I know I made some small mistakes that cost me nothing but a lot of time. I reckon if I had to do it again I could do it in a weekend. The guide on here is priceless, stick to it and you won't go wrong. I recommend anyone with common sense and good dexterity to do it!

Back to the top
Ok update time!

The JBL's are NOT, I repeat NOT a straight fit! I had to cut away part of the metal hole in the door to make it larger as the driver magnets were too wide to fit in. I sorted the problem of the speakers being too deep by pulling off the plastic mounting ring around the top. This was only loosely glued in. Anyway they're now in and sounding much much clearer than the original pioneers. They can handle much more volume which will be great when the roof is down, but the bass reproduction is pretty poor, if not non existent. Oh well, better than nothing!

My four-button GTi steering wheel turned up today (in great nick too!) and I purchased a new dash surround with the chrome trim. Almost there! Just need to sort that b#stard window frame. AAAARGH.

Back to the top
Thats why i had alpines fitted in mine, i wanted JBL but was told they was too deep, but you got round it mate well done:)

Back to the top
Yeah louby they had a weird 1cm deep, thin plastic rim right around the speaker which meant they wouldn't go down into the pod far enough. I didn't realise it would come off until I yanked at it in a tizzy and it just pulled apart! I'm a little dissapointed with the lack of bass but I'll just have to live with it. It's being able to hear it above the wind, engine, bird and 'oooooh!' noises that counts  :P

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.