Skip navigation

The Rat Look Debate

Back to the top

The Rat Look Debate

paul_c said

rov716y said

paul_c said

IIRC that car started out as a not-too-bad Series 1 petrol auto, too….

no it started out as a s1 shell with missing panels and half a 1.5 engine and a auto box.  too much missing to make it work and i had a 1.6d working with a good manual box.

ingnore those for sale thread as i'v decided to keep her.

Apologies, the point being that the series 1 wasn't completely rotten, and the money/time/effort required to restore it to its original condition wouldn't have been that much? How much is a secondhand 1.5 engine? What else was missing too?

surely something you have is cheaper than BUYING another engine?

Back to the top

whatalotafun said

paul_c said

rov716y said

paul_c said

IIRC that car started out as a not-too-bad Series 1 petrol auto, too….

no it started out as a s1 shell with missing panels and half a 1.5 engine and a auto box.  too much missing to make it work and i had a 1.6d working with a good manual box.

ingnore those for sale thread as i'v decided to keep her.

Apologies, the point being that the series 1 wasn't completely rotten, and the money/time/effort required to restore it to its original condition wouldn't have been that much? How much is a secondhand 1.5 engine? What else was missing too?

surely something you have is cheaper than BUYING another engine?

It depends how much you 'value' your time/effort. Rov had to convert the car from auto to manual to use the diesel, this is as I understand it, quite a lot of work. So its this vs the cost of a new engine/missing parts. I don't know the details, or how much he values his own time (no doubt will say its free!) so I can't say for sure.

Anyway, its going off topic, didn't want to discuss a member's car.

There is a whole other debate betweeen what's ratty and whats tatty, probably not worth going into because its just labels and descriptions anyway.

Back to the top
the way i see it is if it aint work it is free.

time only costs if you Would be making money from that time.

Back to the top
it doesn't cost me ?8.50 to spend an hour cleaning the car.

Back to the top
not a fan of the forced rat look tbh i much prefer a rusty mk1 to be restored to its former glory lets face it thats what the purpose of this site was for at the begining saving mk1's

if you want an old rusty piece of poo buy a ford :mrgreen:

Back to the top
my tintop is currently matte black, but i bought it that way and i cant complain about that when i paid ?250 for a straight 3 door shell, 1.8 weber carb'd engine, with mot. looks fairly ratty at the moment but will probably get it resprayed when funds allow

Back to the top
Forced rat = Forced crap!

My idea of mk1 "modding" (if you want to), is just modernizing, and fixing all the bits that don't really work too well, basicly all the things that you wished worked propely. Style wise, wheels and a drop.

It's so simple, but so many get it wrong in my view.

Pete.

Back to the top

redpetemk1 said

My idea of mk1 "modding" (if you want to), is just modernizing, and fixing all the bits that don't really work too well, basicly all the things that you wished worked propely. Style wise, wheels and a drop.

Pete.

I'm with you on this one mate. Too many people go too far trying too hard and end up with a dogs dinner.

T

Back to the top

Tian said

redpetemk1 said

Pete.

I'm with you on this one mate. Too many people go too far trying too hard and end up with a dogs dinner.

T

True,

Im building my car for me, no one else, not for forums and to make a name for myself, ("cough, ed38"), not to enter shows, just for me. To cruise about in, drive it hard (ish) :oops: and enjoy. I used to keep a updated build thread on here and ed 38 in the mk1 section, but have stopped now, its for me, and it won't have already been seen anywhere, apart from if im out driving it.

Pete.

Back to the top

redpetemk1 said

True,

Im building my car for me, no one else, not for forums and to make a name for myself, ("cough, ed38"), not to enter shows, just for me. To cruise about in, drive it hard (ish) :oops: and enjoy. I used to keep a updated build thread on here and ed 38 in the mk1 section, but have stopped now, its for me, and it won't have already been seen anywhere, apart from if im out driving it.

Pete.

Pretty much the perfect attitude I reckon. Too often people stress over what other people will think of their car.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.