Skip navigation

The Rat Look Debate

Back to the top

The Rat Look Debate

that car has had all the running gear raised, as well as the engine mounts.

1983 Polo CL - daily

1984 Golf G60 Syncro - sold

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1992 Corrado G60 - crushed

1989 Polo C - chopped and crushed

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
..and turrets raised. I thought he was going to scrap it soon. Sure I read that somewhere

Back to the top
it's also running air so most of the time he doesn't run it that low.

Back to the top
That car is the dog's doodahs.

And the interior rocks my world.

Cars that have weathered and show their age can be sweet as, IMO.

But I don't like the whole sanded down/made to rust stuff.

Yradave says relax.

Back to the top

whatalotafun said

can anyone tell me how low that is?

i wanna go that low.

may even go rat too.

concentrate on your project :wink:

CAMPAIGN-HELIOS BLUE-POSSIBLY SEEN IT ON CHRIS BARRIES(RIMMER IN RED DWARF) MASSIVE SPEED PROGRAMME?!!!

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top
I personally like the rat look, as long as some thought has gone into it

It's the car's that someone just can't be bothered with and then they call them rat that I don't have any time for

Back to the top

SEAN1151 said

whatalotafun said

can anyone tell me how low that is?

i wanna go that low.

may even go rat too.

concentrate on your project :wink:

you're right, back on track.

Back to the top
Aslong as they don't purposely sand it down to rust or smack it with a hammer to get dents i like it.  Seems a bit of a waste sometimes when it has a small dent/rust bubble so people think lets rat it out.

Back to the top
i agree with welshy ^^ if its naturally ratty then obv keep it that way.

but i dont always like it when such a beautiful car is somewhat destroyed, jst becos its cheaper!

Re-store FTW :)

www.keyneondubs.tk --- www.bucksvag.net

Back to the top
i like em!!  

just food for thought my car i havn't got the space to fully restore her till work picks up and we move so i painted her one colour as cheap as poss, everything is new underneath she leaves our gti for dust and a lot off newer 'sports' cars too.  whats your opinion on it?

hello!

Back to the top

rov716y said

i like em!!  

just food for thought my car i havn't got the space to fully restore her till work picks up and we move so i painted her one colour as cheap as poss, everything is new underneath she leaves our gti for dust and a lot off newer 'sports' cars too.  whats your opinion on it?

o

I don't like the manufactured rat at all, usually looks daft but there are one or two examples around that are well done and look okay!

Mark mate, yours is the real thing, no fake rusting which is good, the kit looks brilliant now too. One thing though, you need some G60 steelies on there.

T

Back to the top
Just lifted this from another site

pretty much sums it up..

Not trying to be rude but a pro paint job for a grand is gonna be a cheapie *unless* the car is tiny and all the prep has already been done so all the painter has to do is finishing prep and shoot the paint..

And as such it wouldn't surprise me one bit if prep has been skimped on and rust is coming through, most of the time you get what you pay for..

That said 6 months is a p1ss poor showing as even a quick blow over I'd expect to look reasonable for a couple of years…

Personally imho rust is like cancer it spreads everywhere where you cant see and destroys your car, at the first signs of a bubble or a blister on any of my toys cars it's straight out with the grinder and the welder to get shot of it, I'd rather run a 100% solid and rust free car with a couple of blown in bits of paintwork than a shiny old nail that's falling apart under the paint..

Back to the top

rov716y said

whats your opinion on it?

It ain't worth ?2k! :lol:
http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=206314

Banner

Back to the top
http://www.edition38.c…ndex.php?showtopic=206314

Oh dear!

See, that's the difference between tatty and ratty. IIRC that car started out as a not-too-bad Series 1 petrol auto, too….

Back to the top

Back to the top

paul_c said

IIRC that car started out as a not-too-bad Series 1 petrol auto, too….

no it started out as a s1 shell with missing panels and half a 1.5 engine and a auto box.  too much missing to make it work and i had a 1.6d working with a good manual box.

ingnore those for sale thread as i'v decided to keep her.

hello!

Back to the top
I'm all in favour of artistic freedom and all that, but I think going to the point of destroying a salvageable mk1 is a bit on the selfish side.

The original will be a classic indefinitely. The rat look is just a fad (i'll admit though, some of them do look quite good!).

I'm now mk1less, ahhhhhhh!
Gone but not forgotten;
'83 Schwarze black GTi
'83 Lhasa green GTi
'80 Indiana Red Met. GLS

Back to the top

rov716y said

paul_c said

no it started out as a s1 shell with missing panels and half a 1.5 engine and a auto box.  too much missing to make it work and i had a 1.6d working with a good manual box.

Apologies, the point being that the series 1 wasn't completely rotten, and the money/time/effort required to restore it to its original condition wouldn't have been that much? How much is a secondhand 1.5 engine? What else was missing too?

Back to the top

rov716y said

paul_c said

You got a bit of stick on edition 38 :wink:

CAMPAIGN-HELIOS BLUE-POSSIBLY SEEN IT ON CHRIS BARRIES(RIMMER IN RED DWARF) MASSIVE SPEED PROGRAMME?!!!

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

paul_c said

Apologies, the point being that the series 1 wasn't completely rotten, and the money/time/effort required to restore it to its original condition wouldn't have been that much? How much is a secondhand 1.5 engine? What else was missing too?

doors glass bonnet most off the interior trim dash.  when i have the space/money to restore her she will be going back to her original colour inari silver with the 1.9td engine still their!  (i feel we're going a little off topic)

she is ratty for now untill i can fully restore her!

hello!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.