Skip navigation

help on turbo converstion

Back to the top

help on turbo converstion

I'm currently carrying out a turbo conversion on an 8v DX engine and planning to keep it CIS as I'm looking to build and old skool street motor with parts that were available in the 80's

Current parts I have acquired are:

Volvo 240T CIS fuel distributor (flows for 200BHP max)
Boost sensitive WUR from an Audi 5000
8V t3 exhaust manifold
Thick copper head gasket (Home made to drop CR)
Volvo 240T distributor with retard canister

These parts are still relatively easy to get hold of and are common place on force induced Golf in the states.

I'm currently converting the dissy to fit and sorting out the plumbing but hope to be able to test run soon, will post a build thread once I've got some more info together.

I know it's more work than doing the 20VT swap but it's a great way to learn more about the car and at least I can say I built it once it's done.

Good luck with your build.

'84 Cab Gti

Back to the top
mickeywagone

theres no point
just get a engine that is already turbod
itll be cheaper and stuff

Back to the top
Cost of parts for the engine rebuild and the turbo kit has come to ?410, far cheaper than 20VT route:

8v turbo = ?500 complete with refreshed engine.

20V Turbo = ?1100+.  ?600+ donor engine (unknown condition), ?300 for custom ecu or mod to VAG one, ?75 Intercooler, ?150 engine mount adaptor

It all depends how much tool time you want to put in.

I appreciated the 20VT route gives you a more modern power plant but as this (mickeyone's) original post started the whole idea here is for advice on fitting a turbo to the original 8v Gti motor.

It's all a question of how much you're willing to do.

'84 Cab Gti

Back to the top
Hi could you give me some details of that copper head gasket you've made please, thickness and how you did it?
cheers, love home made engineering :D

Back to the top
8v turbo for ?500 is cheap but not going to be to the same spec or even close as a 20vt

theres no comparison really the 20vt was designed to be turbo hence the reason they last and make huge power

8v turbo sounds fun but i just have this feeling its going to go bang  :dontknow:

Back to the top
im growing to this idea...as much as id love a 20vt I have a very good 8v engine in my car thats only a few 1000 miles old....so it seems a shame not to use it

Daily - 05 plate B6 A4 Avant S Line, with 19s for the summer.. wifes car - Rare Seat Exeo ST Sport 170 Tech
Weekend - MK2 20vt monster - Plus a mk1 caddy I am fixing for my bro

Back to the top
Am curious here, i have most parts to turbo my 1.6 8v Golf Cabrio, is there any one that does a decompression plate, which goes between the head and block to lower compression ratio???  Also is there anyone that does a turbo exhaust manifold???

Back to the top

turbo

some great info here might be of interest thinking of doing this myself just for fun http://forums.vwvortex.com/zero thread?id=544667
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.