Skip navigation

Oil pressure gauge wiring

Back to the top

Oil pressure gauge wiring

Have been looking for the t-peice part I need which goes on the front of the engine, which allows me to connect a gauge up, has anyone bought one or know where I can get one from?

Have a Smiths gauge with 0-100 LB/O",  plastic tube which goes from the gauge to the t-peice I need..

cheers!

Back to the top
I seem to recall seeing the T-piece in the mags being sold by Volkspares or maybe even Big Boys Toys

DubPartz

Back to the top
Why do you need a t-piece? Do you have the correct sender? Replace the one on the side of the block with a twin pole.

Cheers,
Meenrod

1991 Mk1 Golf GTI Cabriolet Sportline

Back to the top

Meenrod said

Why do you need a t-piece? Do you have the correct sender? Replace the one on the side of the block with a twin pole.

hi
   the sender goes above the oil filter not the side of the block,you will find a t piece on ebay or a rally type website.is your senders 10mm x 1mm thread use these all in dollars but a uk site
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=ROAD&pcode=LMA050/M
                                              cheers paul

Back to the top
Get a VDO electrically guage, the ones with pipes leak and spray oil everywhere until theres none left in the sump. Old Smiths guages are for old minis....

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Okay cheers, want to keep the Smiths gauges as I really like them.

I will get a pic up of the cable and gauge just to confirm 100% the part for the block will be right!

What thread size for the engine do I need?

Is it just M10X1.0 ?

Back to the top
Try Demon Tweeks  :wink:

Jon`s Dad

Back to the top
Well found this handy site, will get the left one on the second row down, is someone can confirm its right?

https://www.holden.co.uk/displayproducts.asp?sg=2&pgCode=070&sgName=Hardware&pgName=Gauges&agCode=0611&agName=Smiths+Classic+Gauge+Fittings

Back to the top
ttt

Back to the top
The gauge has this sender out the rear, which has the same fitting on each end,

Does this go straight in to the t-peice on the block?

This picture below says I need an adaptor? I'm not 100% sure?!  :dontknow:

https://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?sg=2&pgCode=070&sgName=Hardware&pgName=Gauges&agCode=0611&agName=Smiths+Classic+Gauge+Fittings&pCode=070.252

Back to the top
You can get a sender from ebay.com or a place called e&c autoparts in california. It is made by VDO and is around $40.00 inc postage. Got one two weeks ago and its m10 x 1.0 thread. Good luck

Back to the top
The pic shows I need a sender, adaptor, and t-peice is that right?

Would I just need to screw the oil line in to the adaptor, then adaptor in to the t-peice?

Back to the top
You've got the old style oil pressure gauge, it doesn't need a "sender" at the engine but a capillary line which carries engine oil, to the gauge. Early-1800 has already pointed out the weaknesses of this.

T pieces and a single pole sender; or a double pole sender (the other one providing low oil pressure warning switch function, which is what the new sender would replace) is used with an electrical oil pressure gauge.

TBH I'd only recommend an electrical oil pressure gauge.

Back to the top
Makes interesting reading, thanks Paul.

Might look at an electrical one then, I guess from the gauge to the sender is a wire with a connection to the sender?

Must be a bit dangerous having hot oil travelling through the pipe?

Back to the top

Early-1800 said

the ones with pipes leak and spray oil everywhere until theres none left in the sump.

Sorry, but that's just not true. I have been using mechanical gauges for over 30 years in all types of cars from race to street to show. Never have I had one leak, spray or drop oil into the car. Its just like everything else in this world, if you do it right then it works right. Even with the very slim chance that the tube could rub a hole into it or come loose from the fittings, the size of the tube is such that only a small amount of oil will be forced out. Unless you install the gauge with it right up in your face and take no care to route the tube, you would never have any problem if something were to fail. They are approved be all racing bodies that I can think of and are more accurate, my opinion, and reliable, also my opinion then electric ones.

Back to the top
Thanks for your comments, I felt the same but had no knowledge to back it up, can you advise if I need just the adaptr and t-peice to wire my gauge in?

Thanks

Back to the top
You'll need the adaptor Dom, your connection is 'female' and the connection in the t-peice is also 'female' so the adaptor has two 'male' terminals to allow them to join up. That's all you'll need, and then just do the wiring for the illumination.

Nice gauges btw - old skool cool  8)

I used to run mini's with smiths mechanical gauges and never had any problems at all.

Mk1 Golf floor mats - for tin top and cabriolet - Zero7796 17298Five

Back to the top
Cheers Gav, just ordered the relevant parts  8)

Any idea on the pressure it should be at roughly?

Back to the top
Parts are here, read a few threads and most say to use the thread on the side of the cylinder head, so will have a look at that soon..

Anyone got any ideas of ideal pressure?

Back to the top
Don't know where you found that drawing, but I'm going to save it for future use if you don't mind. Hope a lot of people take note of the switch locations as they seem to get them mixed up often.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.