Skip navigation

What indicators do you use without a bumper

Back to the top

What indicators do you use without a bumper

Mmm good point m7r, looks cool having them hidden but not exactly the smartest idea, practicality wise haha

Back to the top
hi

ive put the indicators in my sidelight holes in my lights!
work quite well!

Back to the top
I secured them with a self taping bolt similar to the ones that hold the wing on,through the frontmost bumper bracket hole that's no longer holding the bumper on.The wires go through the other bumper bracket hole.
Mk1's didnt need side repeaters unles its a post 87 cab or caddy so why have the lamp sticking out of the hole? You wouldnt be able to see the stock indicator in the bumper from the side anyway.
Dont have any pics but the rear indicators are hidden about 2 inches up the rear chassis so you cant see them until they flash.

1989 caddy
1981 gti
1993 cabby

Back to the top
i went the same as others. had a set of kwak indicators. so made them fit in the chassis rail. used the original bolt on the indicator though 1 bumper mount hole and the wire went though the other.

Back to the top

ianpettifer said

hi

work quite well!

oh lord! thats just as bad as hiding them in the grill! when the head light is on they wont meet the light out put needed - if you really want im sure in my lunch break I can find the reg / directive for you. - also when the lights not on it wont be the correct brightness anyways.

Rustmuncher - you are correct side repeters are not needed BUT you are already on dodgy ground as you are using a lamp that has not been approved as a indictor, plus you will still have angles of visability to meet so if you burry them in the chassis leg you might be marginal on them anyway.

I still dont see why hiding an indictor is a good idea?! its there for your safety and if you get hit pulling out of a junction or what ever expect the insurance company to come down on you like a ton of bricks, plus if its bad maybe vosa and the police too as you will be breaking "construction and use" (which we all do to come extent when we fit new exhausts etc etc..)

Daily - 05 plate B6 A4 Avant S Line, with 19s for the summer.. wifes car - Rare Seat Exeo ST Sport 170 Tech
Weekend - MK2 20vt monster - Plus a mk1 caddy I am fixing for my bro

Back to the top
But on mk1's the indicator is buried in the bumper anyway? you cant see it from the side at all during the day. so putting them in the bumer mount holes will be as good as before. if the bulb is lens is bigger it can only be better!!!

Jon.

Back to the top
I agree bumper mount holes is good, provided they arent burried (even though the oe are set back in the bumper they are a long lens so the angle of vis will be quite good) but hiding them behind the grill is what i have the problem with

Daily - 05 plate B6 A4 Avant S Line, with 19s for the summer.. wifes car - Rare Seat Exeo ST Sport 170 Tech

Back to the top
I ended up using Landrover ones as I couldnt find the 'Ring' ones but the square ones are better looking.

Jon`s Dad

Back to the top
halfords, in the camping and trailer section, or pretty much any motor factors should have them, they are clear reverse lamps, either paint the lens amber with proper paint, or fit straight pin amber bulbs as used when converting from amber lenses to clear ones.

Back to the top
Ahaaaaaa

Wondered why I couldnt find amber ones, thanks  :D

Jon`s Dad

Back to the top

ianpettifer said

hi

work quite well!

What did you do to sort out sidelights? Just ditch them and use dipped beam and main beam only?

Back to the top
yep for the moment!

the wiring for my sidelights is nackered anyway! think there burn out so need to sort

Back to the top

M7R said

I went the same route as rustmuncher on mine but I left the lenses clear and used an orange bulb.

the ones hidden in the grill are a very poor idea, they are too hidden, so wont pass an MOT and the fuzz wont like them either, plus if you get hit at a junction expect the insurance to tell you to jog on as the other person can easily claim they didnt see your signal.

if you mount them in the chassis legs make sure the lens is proud of the body work that way it can be seen from the side,

lol, the original ones i had in the bumper were recessed and didn't stand proud so would not be seen from the side -the ones behind the grille are very visible to oncoming traffic when flashing. passed the mot as is so no probs there either  :lol:

'83 1.5 LHD Golf LX
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.