Skip navigation

What indicators do you use without a bumper

Back to the top

What indicators do you use without a bumper

I dont know if this comes under mods or electrics but here goes………………

I dont want (need) a front bumper as it will primarily be a track car however I have some side repeaters that were fitted by my son before I inherited the car. However the load is insufficient and the flasher unit makes them go too fast.

Is there an alternative flasher relay that cures this? If not then what have you all done when not using a front bumper. I`ve seen people using the Landrover type lights but wondered if there was an alternative that is less bulky in appearance.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jon`s Dad

Back to the top
I run my mk1 without bumpers at both ends,i used Ring clear reversing lamps which sit nicely in the chassis appetures for the bumper brackets,i painted the inside of the clear lens amber with tamiya model paint but you can also fit an amber bulb instead.

1989 caddy
1981 gti
1993 cabby

Back to the top
OOHH im liking that! it fills the hole too!! how are they held in?

Daily - 05 plate B6 A4 Avant S Line, with 19s for the summer.. wifes car - Rare Seat Exeo ST Sport 170 Tech
Weekend - MK2 20vt monster - Plus a mk1 caddy I am fixing for my bro

Back to the top
I don't think its possible to get an indicator small enough to look cute, without it being lower powered (ie 5W of the side repeater, rather than 21W a normal indicator is). It is possible to make them flash slower - wire a resistor in parallel with the bulb. I made a little 'thing' which does this, and is wrapped in insulation tape, and simply plugs into the indicator circuit. Whether I'll get through the MoT with 5W front indicators, or if they're legal at all,  :dontknow:  They aren't particularly bright and I do sometimes worry that other motorists don't see my signals, but then its not used on the road that much.

Back to the top
it shouldnt pass the mot, its not bright enough…I have a side repeater on the front of mine  but with a 21w bulb fitted  froma  12v house lamp  :lol:  pikey but it works… the down side it gets a bit hot  :oops: not ideal.

Daily - 05 plate B6 A4 Avant S Line, with 19s for the summer.. wifes car - Rare Seat Exeo ST Sport 170 Tech

Back to the top

Ooooooh thats nice, really looks good…………..

I thought of making a blanking plate and installing the lights in that but yours does look good.

Where did you get the lights from, is `Ring` a make or manufacturer?

Jon`s Dad

Back to the top
Mine with dinky little lights that keep coming unstuck.

The car was my sons………..but I seem to have inherited it :wink:

He`s kept the wheels and given me a minging set of P slots  :?

Jon`s Dad

Back to the top

Hilux said

Ooooooh thats nice, really looks good…………..

I thought of making a blanking plate and installing the lights in that but yours does look good.

Where did you get the lights from, is `Ring` a make or manufacturer?

Ring is the make and you can get them on ebay or halfords etc.

rustmuncher - They are best looking indicators for a bumperless mk1 Iv seen :y:

Hilux - Hows the mk1 coming on? I was watching it on dub-life when your son had it

Back to the top
My old one with Mini Bullet indicators:

But have to say…I'm loving the the square reverse lights!  May have to nick that idea…

Hilux said

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
Hilux - Hows the mk1 coming on? I was watching it on dub-life when your son had it

Hi Ross

Its slow at the mo but to summarise…………………….

Its basically all back together (it was stripped down when he bought it)

All glass in

Wiper arms sourced and blades fitted

A trip to Stevens VW dismantlers in Chelmsford (lovely people) sorted out odd clips and bits and pieces.

All the brakes are freed off, dismantled and re-assembled (I recommended to my son he bag them up when it stood for ages on axle stands with no wheels) but he didnt :banghead: as its got rear discs

Its been rust proofed.

New exhaust from CAS Central Auto Supplies (try them y`all, they are as cheap as chips and supply the trade :wink:)

Its stripped out completely inside (no rust found anywhere of any significance - amazing   8)

The starter motor issues are cured  :P

Got the engine running and water filled and has now shown up a couple of leaks requiring a new `stat and heater valve (being fitted tomorrow).

Sorting the indicators also (hence this thread) ordered some in line resistors that allow repeaters to be used as front indicators (dunno how legal that is)

Got some electrical glitches (as usual) it seems, alternator warning light, horn etc.

Once sorted its of to the MOT man, run it around, bit of paint work needed, visit some shows (hope to meet all on here) then stockpile sporty bits (bigger engine etc) and take it apart next autumn to do it properly.

You might be interested to look at my web site http://www.asgb29.dsl.pipex.com/Contents.htm as I`ve messed about with a few cars in the past so am looking forward to the Mk1.

Jon`s Dad

Back to the top
sounds good! You should put some pics up etc

The westfield looked like it would be fun with the red top in it 8).

Back to the top

These were mini motorcycle indis, in the bumper holes. Motrax I think.

Back to the top
The westfield looked like it would be fun with the red top in it .

It was pretty spectacular (and noisy  8) ) about 180 bhp in 700 kg and quick up to a point when the aerodynamics (or lack of them) meant that to go really quick over 100 you needed lots more power, a real hoot however the Ginetta was truly mental, a great car.

When I wrote it off (I obviously build them better than I drive them) I bought the Porsche 951 (944 Turbo) and that is a truly brilliant car. Will bring either one to some of the meets this year.

The photos on the web site are a bit old but the 951 has been lowered and upgraded with KWV3 and Weltmeister ARB`s and Cup 1 wheels

Will post pics of the Golf build later this year when I really get down to it but at the moment it is a rolling (running) shell with engine and wheels and not very interesting but if anyone is interested I`ll post some piccies.

Jon`s Dad

Back to the top
Id probably have a  ginetta if i had a choice of kit cars. I love the shape of them and they look so nimble.

Is the golf still blue then? I liked that colour

Back to the top
Yup, still blue and will stay blue as the previous owner did the engine bay etc as well.

For now the aim is to get an MOT, touch in the paintwork as needed, install the bucket seats, spray up the interior (probably matt black) and this year rag it around a track a few times and go to a few shows (thats if all you youngsters dont mind an old fart turning up now and again) and see how Mk1 ownership grows on me.

Jon`s Dad

Back to the top

Back to the top
i have mounted them behind the grille with cable ties. :scrooge:

'83 1.5 LHD Golf LX

Back to the top
thats quite a cool idea milk, i do like tht :)

Back to the top
Rustmuncher:

how did you mount these to the inside of the front panel? was any welding involved?!

Weber,ATS,Apex,Ripspeed,Supersprint,K&N MOMO..tbc

Back to the top
I went the same route as rustmuncher on mine but I left the lenses clear and used an orange bulb.

the ones hidden in the grill are a very poor idea, they are too hidden, so wont pass an MOT and the fuzz wont like them either, plus if you get hit at a junction expect the insurance to tell you to jog on as the other person can easily claim they didnt see your signal.

if you mount them in the chassis legs make sure the lens is proud of the body work that way it can be seen from the side,

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.