Skip navigation

Topic #106943 (no title)

Back to the top

shows- members only vs non members

whatalotafun said

so whats all te fuss about?

The usual.  :roll:

Back to the top
getting used to it now, what would someone need to do to get banned around here. but i suppose that doesn't  really work

Back to the top

Dano said

whatalotafun said

The usual.  :roll:

The 2nd or so post from bens_cab explains "the fuss" - ie why decrease the size of club stands to ensure a statistically 'fuller' stand, than allow a larger stand and non-member attendance. Its a reasonable question, albeit one brought up by a non-member. Its reasonable enough to be debated by the committee.

whatalotafun said

getting used to it now, what would someone need to do to get banned around here. but i suppose that doesn't  really work

Banning someone for asking questions why things are done in a particular way wouldn't work, if it leaves the underlying issue/question unanswered.

My opinion is that we need to know the stats, ie compare 2007 club stand show attendance with 2008. This is also important from the viewpoint of whether the club is achieving its aims. Until these are available, all anyone can do is offer an opinion based on the shows they've been to. It was brought in as a rule in 2008 but we didn't know how it would pan out. It ran its course thru 2008 with a couple of exceptions (small shows, one or two non-members). A year on, its a good time to review it.

So……drumroll for stats!!!!

Back to the top
PS Forgot to add, I'm fairly neutral on the idea. I'll await the stats and help out by offering suggestions, or explain the background on some shows, since I was at a lot of them last year.

Back to the top
not meaning banning for asking questions.

but generally causing lots of arguments where they are just not needed as there wasn't a problemto start off with.

just my own opinion

Back to the top

whatalotafun said

Lawsy said

whatalotafun said

i can see how it would be nice to have this insurance (any insurance is good) but if it's not possible then i know i would still rather my car be on a stand than in the car park. for starters i can keep an eye on it and i think it lot safer on the stand too.

The insurance is in place already and I'll be upping the level of cover this year too when its due for renewal

andy, understand mate, thanks for joining up, will update your details ASAP

having to be a member to be on the stand

Members pay membership, so in turn contribute towards the cost of the insurance

Back to the top
I'm no longer a member sadly (Golfy sold on) but still visit and read the forum often.

It does seem to me (and I apologise if this is read the wrong way and anyone takes offence) that some of the older and long founded members that are no longer members are overly critical of the current club.

It seems that many opportunities to take a dig are taken and it just seems a real shame. It doesn't reflect well on the club, and that's not the fault of the club, more the individuals concerned.

We're all entitled to our opinion and I expect many will think I can shove this post/comment back up somewhere dark, but it's just my opinion. What it's worth to you is up to you - not me.

Cheers all

Michael

1990 MX5 Mazda
2003 VW Passat 130 Sport
Sylva Fury 'blade powered…

Back to the top

whatalotafun said

not meaning banning for asking questions.

but generally causing lots of arguments where they are just not needed as there wasn't a problemto start off with.

just my own opinion

There's always going to be a bit of forum banter, its human nature. Its good these days that things tend to get discussed to a conclusion. Of course we all need to be considerate enough in doing so. Its up to the mods to decide where the line is, and when its crossed etc. and take appropriate action. I'm quite happy to let them do their job!

A 'non-needed argument' (I'd call it a reasonable debate) wouldn't have gone on for 5 pages? Never said there was a problem, problem is a negative word. How about saying "It would be a good time to review this particular aspect of the club benefits; and there is an opportunity to enhance the club's presence at a show"?

Back to the top

paul_c said

PS Forgot to add, I'm fairly neutral on the idea. I'll await the stats and help out by offering suggestions, or explain the background on some shows, since I was at a lot of them last year.

why the big thing about stats paul

you know as well as me that there werent any taken.. I presume at the start of 2008 when the rule was introduced was there a decision made to record it, if so i cant see it????

Hence why its now suggested that all places on stands have priority to paid up members, simple as that

If there is 10 booked spaces and only 8 members go, then the other 2 could be made avilable to non members and or partners of the club

I presume that once a new events manager is appointed then gaining stats would be on their priority list

but yes it already up for discussion in the commitee section and receiving votes

Back to the top
Stats - it will give insight on whether the rule was a good or bad one to introduce!

It should be easy enough to trawl through the National Meets and Shows forum and list the shows the club attended, and look at the pics to see how many cars attended; also the threads will show how many were planning to. I read through 5-6 of them last time it was raised, to gain a quick "gut feeling".

Back to the top

paul_c said

Stats - it will give insight on whether the rule was a good or bad one to introduce!

It should be easy enough to trawl through the National Meets and Shows forum and list the shows the club attended, and look at the pics to see how many cars attended; also the threads will show how many were planning to. I read through 5-6 of them last time it was raised, to gain a quick "gut feeling".

was that an offer of help then Paul

If its easy enough????

Back to the top

Lawsy said

paul_c said

If its easy enough????

Its easy but time consuming. I'll have a look after "Victorian Farm".

Back to the top

paul_c said

Lawsy said

If its easy enough????

Its easy but time consuming. I'll have a look after "Victorian Farm".

That would be a good help mate

cheers..

Back to the top
Right it is quite clear to me that this issue, is not one that will go away overnight.

However, If I am elected as events manager, I will endeavour to compile a list, of numbers at events and feedback from attendees to wether they thought the event was a sucess, or any areas where they feel it could have been improved or not, this will be divulged as applicable.

I see things in black and white.

It appears that we at this point (sorry if not the case) have no figures so this cannot be discussed, or commented upon.

All i can and will say is that if im voted in, I will keep a record of events and numbers, to see if there is any pattern etc, but we have to remeber also that people may say they will go, but maybe the weather may go bad, or someones not well etc. So at this point lets just leave the bickering over something that doesnt exist and concentrate on keeping this club the way it is, well run, and a good source of info from our more meochanically minded members who offer assistance to others, and help out at events and make the tea.

End of. This club is a good club, made some good friends, lets keep it that way.

Back to the top
I don't see why you just let any forum user be on a club stand but just have a disclamier saying that any non members cars will not be covered under the insurance & if you have a fix number of cars then it will be done at 80% of spaces will go to members.

James

Click for Berkshire Mk1's>>> Facebook

Back to the top

James_W said

I don't see why you just let any forum user be on a club stand but just have a disclamier saying that any non members cars will not be covered under the insurance & if you have a fix number of cars then it will be done at 80% of spaces will go to members.

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

good idea :wink:

1983(Y) VW GOLF GTi

Banner

Back to the top

James_W said

good solution there mate, well its all sorted now

NathBlack said

Right it is quite clear to me that this issue, is not one that will go away overnight.

However, If I am elected as events manager, I will endeavour to compile a list, of numbers at events and feedback from attendees to wether they thought the event was a sucess, or any areas where they feel it could have been improved or not, this will be divulged as applicable.

I see things in black and white.

It appears that we at this point (sorry if not the case) have no figures so this cannot be discussed, or commented upon.

All i can and will say is that if im voted in, I will keep a record of events and numbers, to see if there is any pattern etc, but we have to remeber also that people may say they will go, but maybe the weather may go bad, or someones not well etc. So at this point lets just leave the bickering over something that doesnt exist and concentrate on keeping this club the way it is, well run, and a good source of info from our more meochanically minded members who offer assistance to others, and help out at events and make the tea.

End of. This club is a good club, made some good friends, lets keep it that way.

well said (insert your name here),

you for event manager :mrgreen:

you seem perfect for the job!

Back to the top

Dano said

The point is, as I've said before if you don't like it for example Paul and Ben, you are free to vote with your feet OR your wallet. Either way I personally don't mind but it would be good if you'd chose one or the other and stop moaning about the situation. May be harsh but there you go.

Dan

:clap:  :clap:

Dano said

I've said it before, harsh as it is, if you don't like it join up or use a site that DOES things that you actually agree with. No one is FORCING you to come on, post things that are negative or you don't like.

It is about gaining membership because it funds the events that other members enjoy.

Dan

:clap:  :clap:

Back to the top
2007 in the main was a wet summer, but the weather was scorching during Gti Spring and Summer Fest and had good attendance for both

2008 in the main was also a wet summer, luckily it was good weather for Spring Fest (except for rain late in the afternoon) and had a full display, but come the Summer Fest it rained first thing in the morning and kept raning sporadically, so no strip action happened till nearly 2pm, you could count the cars on the stand on one hand  and still have a finger or two left to pick your nose  :cry:

On the issue of wanting to know the numbers on people wishing to attend meets and actual members that do turn up, Santa Pod will show that it is by far the worst venue for members not turning up.  It's too expensive to go to when you know there is a good chance the strip will be closed if it's wet.

Back to the top
For info, I've spent a solid hour on it and I'm 1/4 way though compiling the stats. I'll see if I can get more of it done tomorrow. Its a little tricky because some shows threads they never mentioned final numbers and the pics aren't clear, so if/when I've completed it some of the data will have ??? next to it and if anyone who attended can remember….can fill in the gaps.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.