Back to the top

shows- members only vs non members

Dano said

paul_c said

Dano said

paul_c said

I aint moaning!

Sound like it Paul !!!  :lol:

All I'm saying is that its a good rule with the benefits going FOR the members and encouraging owners to join up.

Dan

Agree, so long as there's 100% clarity on what a "member" is, as in, the paid/unpaid issue is resolved swiftly.

Its being done - along with a host of other things that you don't see.

As and when the shows start, its a easy enough job to ask Tian to check the list of 'member' wishing to go on the stand against his paid list prior to the passes being posted out. No big deal or upset there. If someone is found NOT to be a paid member they can be asked to pay up OR their pass goes to the next member wishing to go on the stand. seems quite straight forward to me.

you dont need passes for santapod turn up sign in for the rwyb park on pretty much any club stand you like :wink:

Back to the top

bens_cab said

sorry dano but comments like that encourage people to leave and to be honest if i was at spring festival and parked my car on the club stand after doing a run up the strip im pretty sure no one would say anything

membership this mebership that pretty annoying its like being in a car showroom and having little gimp trying to flog you a car

i know its about gaining the numbers but jesus change the record

You brought it up mate  :banghead:

I've said it before, harsh as it is, if you don't like it join up or use a site that DOES things that you actually agree with. No one is FORCING you to come on, post things that are negative or you don't like.

As for Spring Festival, if it was full then there's no room. What 'going up the strip' has to do with it I don't know, it doesn't change the fact that you have to be a member to go on the stand.

It is about gaining membership because it funds the events that other members enjoy.

Dan

Back to the top
the club stand is normally along side the strip where the 1/4 mile cars park so weather im a member or not i can still park there as i have paid my fees on the day ill just make sure i dont get to close

and from previous experience of santa pod no one actaully checks how many cars are on the stand  :wink:

just seems a shame to limit it when you could have a good show of numbers but hey ho your the boss

plus if i didnt come on here youd have no one to moan about :mrgreen:

Back to the top

Dano said

What 'going up the strip' has to do with it I don't know, it doesn't change the fact that you have to be a member to go on the stand.

It does make a difference…..because if you're going up the strip, you can gain access to the grandstand side of the show area. In any case, if you're sprinting, then you'll be in the fire up road or on the strip for most of the day anyway, so the 'place' on the stand is not so valuable. To another car who isn't going to use the strip, sure its very valuable, it places you right in the middle of all the action and if nothing else, is a better car parking position. (Indeed on other shows, being on a club stand has saved ?4 parking costs!)

Spring GTI Festival is not a static show, there's a lot of action, and a lot of traffic moving around the pit area, not just strip cars but there's other stuff which goes on too. So pragmatically, its impossible to control who comes and goes and where they'd park, etc. By all means you could try to 'police' it, though.

In any case there's plenty of other places a car can park when not participating in the strip action.

This is the reason why I've kindly allowed my 'place' to go to the next available member (and the non-renewal is linked to this) because, for me or anyone taking part in the activities, the value of having it on the club stand is not the same as, perhaps a new member who wants to be a part of the club but isn't going on the strip and would otherwise have to park in the day car park and walk over.

Back to the top
Just catching up with this I have always understood is places on Club Stands go to Paid members 1st if we don't or cant fill the stand with paid members then i goes to the none paid members to fill the stand so Ben when you say the stands are not filled because they go to JUST paid members is wrong.

Stands only get poor attendance if folk whether members or not don't bother to turn up.
surly you can understand this?

Dont ask what your club can do for you, but what can you do for your club?

Back to the top

A5OPY said

Just catching up with this I have always understood is places on Club Stands go to Paid members 1st if we don't or cant fill the stand with paid members then i goes to the none paid members to fill the stand so Ben when you say the stands are not filled because they go to JUST paid members is wrong.

Stands only get poor attendance if folk whether members or not don't bother to turn up.

what im saying is why limit it to 10 or 15 when non members will be there parked in the car park becasue of this rule you could have a larger stand ,area ???

surely thats in the clubs best interests to have many mk1s as possible there even if they are non members

am i wrong :dontknow:

Back to the top

A5OPY said

Aha just the man! Do you have the stats on club stand attendance, predicted vs actual?

I think there's 3 things which happen:

1. It clashes with another show - resulting in both shows poorly attended
2. The show is wrongly perceived, so people dont attend. Example: retro show 2008
3. People are badgered into being on the club stand, maybe these are 'new' members who have not previously attended, so they say they'll come but all told, their motivation isn't the same and they don't attend. You need some kind of core membership who are proven to be reliable attendees.

Has to also be said, there's far too many VW shows thru the year, so we (or they, the organisers) can't expect full attendance at every show. I got the impression last year that some of this was driven by the downturn in the economy, I reckon it will be worse this year…..fact of life I'm afraid.

Back to the top
also worth saying this is the first pod show of the year so should be the one people are aiming for :wink:

Back to the top
Apparently although it is newer, Spring Festival achieved higher attendance than Summer! If you go onto the santa pod website and download the trader's pack, it has estimated attendance of various shows thru the year (not looked at 2009 yet tho).

Back to the top

paul_c said

A5OPY said

Aha just the man! Do you have the stats on club stand attendance, predicted vs actual?

2. The show is wrongly perceived, so people dont attend. Example: retro show 2008
3. People are badgered into being on the club stand, maybe these are 'new' members who have not previously attended, so they say they'll come but all told, their motivation isn't the same and they don't attend. You need some kind of core membership who are proven to be reliable attendees.

Has to also be said, there's far too many VW shows thru the year, so we (or they, the organisers) can't expect full attendance at every show. I got the impression last year that some of this was driven by the downturn in the economy, I reckon it will be worse this year…..fact of life I'm afraid.

Sorry Paul i haven't got the stats you are asking for at this time.

I agree with all you are saying about the attendances at the shows like you rightly say to many VW shows and there seems to be more every year as for the Pod i cant comment as I have never been one day I would like to go and see you 2 burn up the strip

when i get a min I will try and have a look at some sample shows and compare those that say they will come and those who actually make the effort as i feel like you the data could be interesting.

Back to the top

A5OPY said

paul_c said

A5OPY said

I agree with all you are saying about the attendances at the shows like you rightly say to many VW shows and there seems to be more every year as for the Pod i cant comment as I have never been one day I would like to go and see you 2 burn up the strip

when i get a min I will try and have a look at some sample shows and compare those that say they will come and those who actually make the effort as i feel like you the data could be interesting.

Needs doing cos it will provide useful feedback and help explain some 'mysteries' huh?

Back to the top

paul_c said

A5OPY said

paul_c said

A5OPY said

Needs doing cos it will provide useful feedback and help explain some 'mysteries' huh?
Agree, will give it 2 coats of looking at when i get a min or 2

Back to the top
Apparently I provide more "entertainment" in the club stand area than on the strip. At least that was the feedback received from Retro Show 2008.

Back to the top
moved to a seperate area so the GTI fest can stay on topic

Back to the top

paul_c said

Apparently I provide more "entertainment" in the club stand area than on the strip. At least that was the feedback received from Retro Show 2008.

is it cos you break gearbox's :lol:

Back to the top
ok, would it be easier if….for example.

we have 10 spaces and 8(?) were just for members and 2(?) were opens spaces (meaning anyone could fill them. member or not.

filled on a first come first serve basis.

would get people to join up too.

Back to the top
Just wanted to say a few words as i have been surprised how much has been said. I have been to loads of vw shows around the country since attending the last Inters at Crowthorne TRL (Such a great venue!!) and for the better part of the last two years have always been on a club stand of some sort, when Im able to attend (Always due to work getting in the way!) Up untill now I have never really given much thought to having insurance for cars on club stands, but since this thread has started I actually can see how important it is, I would be livid if something happened to my golf when on a stand, accident or not and had to claim on my own insurance !!!! I'm more than happy to show my support for the club as I have gained loads of technical info from day one and feel this is the friendliest/funniest vw club out there. I will be making full use of the discount, so will easilly make the money back.

Im not trying to have a go at people or score points ! Just letting you all know my feelings on this subject.

Thanks for reading !

Andy77

P.S if it rains at the GTI Fest I will be  :evil:  :evil:
Plus my grammer/spelling is poor I know !

G60

Back to the top

andy77 said

Just wanted to say a few words as i have been surprised how much has been said. I have been to loads of vw shows around the country since attending the last Inters at Crowthorne TRL (Such a great venue!!) and for the better part of the last two years have always been on a club stand of some sort, when Im able to attend (Always due to work getting in the way!) Up untill now I have never really given much thought to having insurance for cars on club stands, but since this thread has started I actually can see how important it is, I would be livid if something happened to my golf when on a stand, accident or not and had to claim on my own insurance !!!! I'm more than happy to show my support for the club as I have gained loads of technical info from day one and feel this is the friendliest/funniest vw club out there. I will be making full use of the discount, so will easilly make the money back.

Im not trying to have a go at people or score points ! Just letting you all know my feelings on this subject.

Thanks for reading !

Andy77

P.S if it rains at the GTI Fest I will be  :evil:  :evil:
Plus my grammer/spelling is poor I know !

i can see how it would be nice to have this insurance (any insurance is good) but if it's not possible then i know i would still rather my car be on a stand than in the car park. for starters i can keep an eye on it and i think it lot safer on the stand too.

Back to the top

whatalotafun said

i can see how it would be nice to have this insurance (any insurance is good) but if it's not possible then i know i would still rather my car be on a stand than in the car park. for starters i can keep an eye on it and i think it lot safer on the stand too.

The insurance is in place already and I'll be upping the level of cover this year too when its due for renewal

andy, understand mate, thanks for joining up, will update your details ASAP

Back to the top

Lawsy said

whatalotafun said

The insurance is in place already and I'll be upping the level of cover this year too when its due for renewal

andy, understand mate, thanks for joining up, will update your details ASAP

so whats all te fuss about?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.