Skip navigation

Golf beginner - where to start and what do I need?

Back to the top

I've been thinking about taking up golf over the last couple of years. Other than going to the driving range and making an ass of myself with my friends or playing mini golf, I am new to the game. I know the rules, terminology, just need to learn how to develop and refine my swing.

And I also need to know what kind of equipment I need.

Also, what is the best way to get decent discounts on green fees?

Back to the top

Re: Golf beginner - where to start and what do I need?

MICHAEL55 said

I've been thinking about taking up golf over the last couple of years. Other than going to the driving range and making an ass of myself with my friends or playing mini golf, I am new to the game. I know the rules, terminology, just need to learn how to develop and refine my swing.

you just made my day  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top
:roll:

Back to the top
is it a full moon tonight?

Back to the top
:)  lol, i need to improve my swing,  any swingers in the house???? !!!!!

Mk1 2l TSR G60.  .getting. There twice as fast

Mk1 lhd diesel…….getting. There for half the cost

Back to the top
think paul is into swinging sheep :mrgreen:

Back to the top
eye on the ball. legs shoulder width apart. bend the knees and square to the ball. keep you head down and swing though. as you make contact with the ball follow the club though with your head and be ready to go get it out of the water.

haha thanks for that.

Back to the top
we can help any performance upgrades to your golf cart voltage increases ect wide wheels you name it :lol:

Back to the top

MICHAEL55 said

Pure CLASS!!  :lol:   :lol:

Back to the top

novocaine said

eye on the ball. legs shoulder width apart. bend the knees and square to the ball. keep you head down and swing though. as you make contact with the ball follow the club though with your head and be ready to go get it out of the water.

haha thanks for that.
is that advice for paul ?

Mk1 2l TSR G60.  .getting. There twice as fast

Mk1 lhd diesel…….getting. There for half the cost

Back to the top

bens_cab said

I make ONE comment about enjoying the company of animals, and then there's all this hassle! RSPCA visits, animal welfare charities suddenly taking an interest, articles in the local paper, etc!

Life is so unfair!!!!!!

PS The above suggestion is disgusting - I'd never share, I'm faithful to Dolly.

Back to the top

paul_c said

bens_cab said

I make ONE comment about enjoying the company of animals, and then there's all this hassle! RSPCA visits, animal welfare charities suddenly taking an interest, articles in the local paper, etc!

Life is so unfair!!!!!!

:lmao:

Back to the top

MICHAEL55 said

well, first you need the right gear.

so pop over to the "cars for sale"

anything in there should see you to a good start.

let us know how you get on!

Back to the top
This is worse than when i suggested meets.   :oops:

Back to the top
Hmm I dunno about that  :mrgreen:  :wink:

Back to the top
Suppose someone better give a 'serious' answer just in case you weren't attempting to extract the urine, so here goes.  :roll:

Get yourself a copy of Ben Hogan's - Five Fundementals of Golf, it will teach you all you need to know  :wink:
Get on ebay & pick up a cheap set, cavity back irons are easier to hit than blades & large headed 'metal' woods are the norm these days. Putters are more about personal preference & what 'feels' right to you.
Most of all, try & enjoy it & don't get too annoyed if you can't hit it correctly straight away, that may take years. Its not as easy as it looks….

Back to the top

paul_c said

bens_cab said

Life is so unfair!!!!!!

Thats Ab-EWE-se surely?

~Madferret

Mk1 1457cc 5door GX '83

Back to the top
The similarities are endless, What tree did you fall off  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top

Peddersgolf said

it's amazing what they make you do for community service now days!

Back to the top

The first time you go out golfing, asked an experienced golfer with you to be brutal about your etiquette:

Fixing ballmarks
Talking/moving
Ready golf vs whose turn is it
Picking up tees
Taking extra shots
Slowing down the group
Line of sight distraction
Searching for lost balls
Walking across putting line
etc etc…….

Take a few golf lessons to get the fundamentals down pat for starters.

It's much easier to learn the right way than to uncorrect your wrong doings once they are habit from prematurely playing on courses and going to driving ranges without the proper instruction first.

Check out
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.