watch your driveshafts tho

Back to the top
cheers.

definately gonna go lower on the rear.
i've already got a knocking sound from the front, prolly the drive shafts. lol

:D

Back to the top
just out of curiosity.. how low is it.?
thinking of getting mine done eventually and i like how yours sits plus i dont really know how far you can go..

Back to the top

dope_as said

cheers.

definately gonna go lower on the rear.
i've already got a knocking sound from the front, prolly the drive shafts. lol

:D

probs is hahaha
turn your wheels an dsget on your knees and find out how far there is
mine are neally at bottom and there like 1 cm left to go and there like 5mm clearence from the chassis to the driveshaft

Back to the top

walkerfromwolves said

just out of curiosity.. how low is it.?
thinking of getting mine done eventually and i like how yours sits plus i dont really know how far you can go..

eh up mate. the thing with coil overs is you never really know how low you've gone from stock, its just lower, and then you adjust to suit.

as to how low you can go, it all depends on things like:

• tyre size
    wheel size and offset
    how bumpy are your local roads
    how steep is your drive
    are your arches rolled for more clearance
    do you like your tyres to last[/list:u]

my mate has the same coilies as me, with gti nine spokes and 185/60 13 tyres and he can't go as low as me without rubbing.
    so i figure it must be his tyres.?!?

ash

Back to the top
Its coming on well ash.. looking great mate - good job on the sunroof too..

I'm loving the dail driver-tatty-work in progress look - glad to see the ATS back on they really suit it!!!

Back to the top

Lawsy said

Its coming on well ash.. looking great mate - good job on the sunroof too..

I'm loving the dail driver-tatty-work in progress look - glad to see the ATS back on they really suit it!!!

cheers big ears
this is only the beginning of the daily wip look. the sills need abit of work, no holes tho, then tailgate and a little bit of gutter. i just need to sort out some colour code paint before it all goes black….

:)

ash

Back to the top
taking some inspiration from a good friend, i'm doing an update with no pics.
:)

finshed off fitting my number plate lights yesterday in the glorious sunshine. a little bit more sanding was needed so they sat flush with a water tight seal.
ok fair enough, one of them isn't quite flush but there good enough for me.

thought i'd get my D banded pressed tin number plate on the back too. i love it.

refitted my wind deflector to my sunroof after a lick of paint.

and whilst i was pottering i sanded down my bonnet strut and gave it a quick polish. hmmmm, shiney.

thats all.

:mrgreen:

ash x

Back to the top

dope_as said

i must add that i did follow the haynes book of lies

so true!  :lol:

Back to the top
shiney shiney, shiney boots of leather… well alloy but thats not in the song…

so, being a complete numpty, when i refurbed my classics last year (i got quite a nice polished finish) i got scared about leaving them exposed. not knowing what to do i gave them a coat of clear lacquer (school boy error i know) this took away the nice shiney polished look, but i thought if it protects them abit it'll do for the summer til it starts to chip.

well, it lasted about 2 weeks with the wheels on the car. so having a potter on the car yesterday i started to fetch the lacquer off with some wire wool.

before

after

before

after

how happy am i!!! :D

i figure i'll have to polish them regularly to keep them nice, but i reckon it'll be worth it.
though i've since found out about this stuff called rimwax
http://www.speeding.co…tml%23a1_211244#a1_211244
so i'm gonna give that a go.

edit - got, trying it, here: http://www.vwgolfmk1.o…wtopic&t=64767&highlight=

here a shot of them on the car

and my new rear number plate

i like sunny days.

ash x

Back to the top
Yes, you will have fun keeping them shiny.  Look great though.

Back to the top
love it mate.

Back to the top
i got abit more done on the golf this week. started to clean up the o/s sill as there have been some rust spots down there for ages.
as always, they got bigger!!!

i do like the grinder. :)

after a bit of filler and abit of sanding

i didn't take a shot of it painted up ,cos its only black for now, and tbh it could do with another sand. i get impatient when sanding filler.  :banghead:

cos i like the grinder so much i thought i tickle the little rust spot on the front piller…

…which turned into a massive hole!!! now most folk might think cut and weld, well i'm no welder, so filler it will have to be!

it all need another fill and sand really, tomorrows job. ;)

todays job however, much more exciting. :)
i've fitted a 16v master cylinder and servo. i've had them lying around for ages, but not had the confidence to fit them until now.

after checking all the bolts & bleed nipples would loosen, i marked up the brake lines and removed the old master cylinder:

fortunately for me the servo was aleady fitted to a mk1 bracket, so only had to unclip the clevis pin from the drivers side, unbolt the servo and out she came. no fiddling at all. :)
new servo went in pretty easily, after a lick of paint that is. ;)

the four port master cylinder worked well, as i only needed one t-piece for the brake light switch and one short section of brake line making up (which i had done over at my friendly mechanics)
it was a bit scary bending the old brake lines in case i snapped em, but they seemed fairly compliant. :)

all connected back up:

though i'd treat myself to some new bleed nipples seeing as i was bleeding the system.
here's the old and new:
(rear)

(front)

took about three hours for the brake upgrade. a leisurely 3 hours at that. :)

Mmmmmmm, now my brakes are done, i can fit my webber carb…  :angel:

bye

ash x

Back to the top
nice work ash, now get that bloody carb fitted- not that you have had it long………  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

good work though mate lovin the use of the grinder……. 8O

Back to the top
i've been out finishing off the other sill today, got abit carried away (as usual) and started smoothing off some filler on the wing, that went abit wrong, then the hammer came out…

i finished up with this:

lol :D

i knew i needed a new wing at some point… ha ha

then feeling like i was 8 years old, and knowing its gonna get painted at some point (soon i hope) decided to race it up abit

i don't know if i'm gonna drive it around with the numbers on, well, maybe just abit. ha ha ha

ash x

;)

Back to the top
Looking good but am I too late to say please dont use filler on the a-pilar!?

Back to the top
i was going to say the same ross.

as you are not a welder,

sure HYPOTHETICALLY …..

if some such as yourself
cuts out old metal
Preps for welding
Cuts a patch to fit snuggly in the hole
then so happens to find out if a club member is welding one Hypothetical saturday afternoon near you.
Drives down, and lets then spend 20 mins welding it up for you…..

Isnt that is what a club is about? Helping each other…..

where do you live. ont sa leicester or i'll have to do it  :wink:

Back to the top
ahh, errr… i guess the a-pillar is structural then?

oops. well, you live and learn. i guess i'll have to talk nicely to my mechanic, see if i can get if done for nowt. having no job is great til you need to spend money!!!

thanks for the heads up guys.

oh, i'm not a million miles away from leicester. ;)

thanks, ash x

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.