Skip navigation

low 5dr GL 1.8 carb - NEW PICS - 23.09.09 - I IS Two-Tone

Back to the top

low 5dr GL 1.8 carb - NEW PICS - 23.09.09 - I IS Two-Tone

i'm not new to the site, just never started a thread on my mk1.

finally got some coilovers (thanks edwin) via this site and i'm lovin' it.

hottuning coilovers FTW

me and a mate fitted them in about two and a half hours yesterday.
the fronts are wound up about 75mm form the bottom of the thread, not sure what the rears are at.
no rubbing to report so far. :D

the ride was not as hard as i would have thought, which was nice, but then i do have big tyres, 175/70 r13, they're now my winter wheels as my ATS classics have undergone a refurb and are waiting for summer. :)

i'm gonna let it all settle in for a bit then go as lower on the rear f'sure, maybe squeeze abit more drop on the front too. ;)

here's some pics:

ash

Back to the top
Looking good!  :y: You can wind her up and down til your heart's content now…I think Paul C's gone about -80mm on 9-spokes and doesn't seem to have any bother.
Is it the original engine by the way…I thought GL's were 1.5?

Back to the top

Diesel-dubber said

Looking good!  :y: You can wind her up and down til your heart's content now…I think Paul C's gone about -80mm on 9-spokes and doesn't seem to have any bother.
Is it the original engine by the way…I thought GL's were 1.5?

thanks diesel.
yeah it was 1.5 originally, blew that up, now i have a 1.8 from a cabby.
weber carb is going on for summer…

can't wait.

:)

Back to the top
looks great, whats next?

Back to the top

welsh-mk1 said

looks great, whats next?

as i said, weber carb to go on when the roads are abit drier (its a cunning stay alive for longer plan)
and i've got a 16v master cylinder and servo waiting to go on which will helkp with the plan mentioned above. :D

you can see in the photos that i am missing the chrome trim from windscreen and rear window.
i purchased some nice new trim thinking it'll just slide in. hmm. after trying to craft a home made tool for the job, i've managed to borrow one form the mechanic at work, so that'll get done soon-ish. :)

then its time to start tickling up the body work in readiness for a lick of paint, aiming for end of summer for that job.

thanks.

ash

Back to the top
Looking good Ash, i will inspect your handy work over the weekend...

:cheer:  I've got my husband back :cheer:

Back to the top
looks wicked man

Back to the top
Looks good! Very similar to how mine used to look…

How much difference is there between the 1.5 and 1.8 performance-wise?

Back to the top
Hi, is that the original regatta blue metallic color?

Can u post a pic of the interior please? thanks

Back to the top
thanks for the comments guys. :)

love yours mike. ;)
when i had the 1.8 lump put in, i had a gti gearbox in too, and i can give my mates 1600 gti a run for its money. i also got my first speeding ticket, followed by another a few months later.

so yeah, big difference over the 1.5. its not running so clever at the mo since i had to turn the carb down for the mot.

ollie, yeah it is the original metallic regatta blue, saving for a respray in the same colour at the mo.
i'll get a pic up of the interior when i clear the foot of snow currently burrying my car!!!

ash

Back to the top
…just found this pic thats shows the rear door card, well its interior trim innit…

its all blue in there, dash, seats, carpets… oh roof lining is creamy white.

ash

Back to the top
Love it when a car is completely colour coded.

Back to the top
Hi there,

My car is nearly exactly the same as yours :wink:

You can see my forum:

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=52565  

I was wondering where you got those bumpers from, or did you restore them yourself? Are they dark grey or black?

I asked for a photo of the interior to see if your seats are like mine but it doesn't seem like they are.

Are you the first owner? What year did it come out (81 onwards for sure for that color I think)?

p.s. Do you still have the sticker with the paint code on it ,if so could you put up a pic of it please? THanks

Back to the top
hi olly.
the paint code for metallic regatta blue is LB5Y
which i found here: http://www.mk1dubs.com/paint1.php

i like seeing cars that look like mine. :) nice one.
and yeah, my seats are different to yours, though the door cards look the same.
gotta pretty similar as yours is a GLD and mine a GL.

i'm the 5th owner, though i bought if off a mate who only had it 6 months and hardly ran it.

the bumpers i restored using a product that has now been discontinued, liquidtec i think it was called, company went bust or summat?
its lasted pretty well, though i'll just spray paint them next time they need doing.

oh, and its an '82

ash

Back to the top
Yeah I know the code of the color thanks its just that I wanted to see what the original sticker looks like cos mine went missing :|

I wish my bumpers were in that good nick, I'm sure I can restore the plastic (which is a lighter shade of grey now) but the chrome strips are the problem cos they have faded and aren't that shiney any more. I wonder if I can remove them and put in a new insert :dontknow:

Back to the top
ahhh, i see.
where abouts is this sticker located?

that chrome trim on the bumpers is a tricky one. i've got bits missing one two of the ends, and its not so shiney any more. :(
it might be worth posting elsewhere in the forum to answer that one… and then let me know. :)

ash

Back to the top

dope_as said

ahhh, i see.
where abouts is this sticker located?

I think it should be somewhere near the boot on the back panel in-between the lights or somewhere on the boot floor.

I'm not really sure though, hey guys if anyone of you know where yours is please post.

Thanks

Back to the top
hi mine is on the rear panelbetween lights. love 5 doors igot a gx was 1500 now g60 hense frackagx60

Back to the top

frackagx60 said

hi mine is on the rear panelbetween lights. love 5 doors igot a gx was 1500 now g60 hense frackagx60
nice. there's a g60 mk1 in sheffield, it sounds awesome.

now, i knew my rear arches were not in the best of nick, but father time, mr wet & mr mud have forced my hand.

just took one of my 1/4 arch spats off to find…

thats after a good poke with mr screwy.
time for some panels and welding i think!!!

:D

Back to the top
Looking sweet 8)

Dibbler

Golf MK1 GLi Golf MK2 GTi Golf MK3 GTi Galaxy 2.3 Ghia X Seat Inca 1.9 Diesel Tomorrow is almost over, today went by so fast The only thing to look forward too is the past.
There are too many online users to list.