Skip navigation

ABF 2.0 block 16v KR head, conversion. Help me please

Back to the top

ABF 2.0 block 16v KR head, conversion. Help me please

I have made progress
I have used threaded bars and used nuts as spacers

The alternator fits fine.
However i have new problem, again. The crank pully wheel doesnt fit because the bolt pattern is different as if it has a greater pcd.
I think the pully wheel i have is from a kr engine so i think i should use one from an ABF engine. I didnt think they would be any different but they must be.
Or could i get away with drilling the holes in the pully wheel?
Ill probably have to wait another week before i can find one of them.

Back to the top
Good work Nick

Back to the top
Cheers mate. The engine is ready to drop in. Hopefully get time this weekend. Then save up for an exhaust. And tax, insurance, MOT, and tax on my van. Hope to be driving it in april.

Back to the top
Just waiting for he bits for my engine to arrive, building 2.1L 16V .

Back to the top
Yeah i read on clubgti that your engine is broke.
2.1 16v should be awsome.

Back to the top

As you can see, i have the engine in. But now the bonnet wont fit  :banghead:
Could it be that my engine mounts have been pressed upside down?
How do i solve this

Back to the top
Should have no issues with bonnet clearance with that combination, so something amiss.

Back to the top
The front engine mount is not on yet. Could this effect it?

Back to the top
Dont think the front mount would affect this,dont have a side mount to hand to look at so dont know if fitting upside down would lift the engine. Is it possible rear mount is somehow lifting rear of engine although i cannot think how.

Back to the top
No the rear mount is not lifting the engine.
I think it has a corrado manifold, but i dont know if this would effect it.
It touches on the little loop which holds the throttle cable

Back to the top
so in dumb person terms, like me, is that a 2.0 bottom end with a 1.8 16v head?

'82 golf 1.1c

'81 golf 1.5 4door

'83 golf driver 1.3

'88 golf gti 16v

'90 golf gl

'83 golf 1.1c

Back to the top
Yes, thats how i bought it.
Apparently its better, as explained by brookster earlyer in this thread

Back to the top
yeah the little loop comes close and i filed a mm or so from the top of mine but pulling away in first or reverse it dosnt touch.

Back to the top
Might be worth looking into. Thanks! I knew that on the 9a engine, the kr inlet cams will give you a power increase to about 150bhp. But i didnt think of just putting the whole head on!!!!

'82 golf 1.1c

'81 golf 1.5 4door

'83 golf driver 1.3

'88 golf gti 16v

'90 golf gl

'83 golf 1.1c

Back to the top
I even unbolted the the throttle cable loop and the bonnet still touches something

Back to the top
Thats because  the 9a cams are not much good powerwise, really i dont think there is much difference in abf/kr cams they just achieve similiar results in different ways, also the abf compression ratio is already 10.5 to 1 so fitting kr head only raises it half a point so if getting a complete abf engine not really worth changing the cyl head.

Back to the top
Hard to tell from picture but yours looks a good half to three quarters of an inch higher than mine, and i am on new mounts so they havent sagged.

Back to the top
I think i have figured out the problem.
My exhaust manifold is touching my steering rack which is preventing my engine from tilting back to the correct angle.
This is very anoying when you have spent the best part of ?200 on a manifold that doesnt fit. I dont think i can send it back either because i bought it off ebay

Back to the top
No, actualy it is not the exhaust manifold, because i have just taken it off and the engine still wont rock back. Maybe it is the rear engine mount. I shall find out tomorow

Back to the top

abfmk1 said

Dont think the front mount would affect this,dont have a side mount to hand to look at so dont know if fitting upside down would lift the engine. Is it possible rear mount is somehow lifting rear of engine although i cannot think how.

It appears you were correct.
I have just taken the rear engine mount off and the engine tilts back further. I am going to buy a new rear mount. I just hope the engine will be ok sat on just two mounts for the moment.
Thanks for your help
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.