Skip navigation

Work commences on the GTI...Updates page 6!

Back to the top

Work commences on the GTI...Updates page 6!

I do have a garden but I couldnt get a car in it, not without a bulldozer :lol:

I did consider one of those gazeebo things with sides on it, in fact i have one somewhere from my trials biking days….

Haha the calender is last years, we just left it up because the December girl was an absolute stunner :lol:

Been pricing up units too, Im looking at at least 300 a month 8O  not to mention nobody wants you to store vehicles in them :? So sod that idea!

I can get a garage plot from the council, only I'd have to build a garage on it, oh and dig up the concrete if i decided to leave…thats asking a little much for hmmm, 5 days now :(

Greg

1981 Golf C 1.1
1982 Golf GTI
1992 Corrado G60
1999 Golf GT TDI

Back to the top
I may have some storage in the pipeline…..Hopefully! :pray:

Greg

1981 Golf C 1.1
1982 Golf GTI
1992 Corrado G60
1999 Golf GT TDI

Back to the top
Fingers crossed for you Greg :wink:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
I have a new workshop! :mrgreen:  Well I say new, I think it was built sometime in the 1700's lol.

Me and a mate are sharing it for various project persuits, bit more expensive than the last one but at least its all ours!

Moved our clutter in last night…

And I rehomed the Golf this morning.

More progress updates shortly!

Greg

1981 Golf C 1.1
1982 Golf GTI
1992 Corrado G60
1999 Golf GT TDI

Back to the top
:cheer:  Nice one!! Loads of space  8)  Costly?

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Any leaks in the roof considering the age?  Time to crack on with the buid now.

Back to the top
Yep plenty of working space for 2 cars at once. My mate however (in the pic) is a compulsive hoarder of crap so how much room we'll have in a week or two remains to be seen!

Got 3 pahse electric :mrgreen: I managed to blag a container at the side and a mini carpark as part of the deal, bonus!

I dunno whether I'd call it costly, its 200 a month so between 2 of us its 25 quid a week, not bad i suppose for 650 sq ft + outside space. It used to me a mechanics garage before, shame he didnt leave the 4 poster in!

It doesnt leak! there are a few draughty holes to plug though :lol:

1981 Golf C 1.1
1982 Golf GTI
1992 Corrado G60
1999 Golf GT TDI

Back to the top
Sounds pretty reasonable to me, esp. give the outside space and container. Have you got it long term?

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Nope got it on a pay as you go jobber, nice easy terms. I couldnt afford to commit to a long term deal with our current economic climate, if I found myself jobless all of a sudden I'd be fair stuffed!

Should be cracking on with the sill tomorow morning so I'll post up the progress :D

Greg

1981 Golf C 1.1
1982 Golf GTI
1992 Corrado G60
1999 Golf GT TDI

Back to the top
As long as you don't get pushed out quick.

Look forward to the pics of the sill :wink:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
OK, the chopping has begun once more! :mrgreen:

Prepared for the worst what I found didnt really phase me like it did on the other side, not to mention its not quite as bad. Still a fair bit of jacking damage but with a little hammering the floorpan and inner sill will straighten out, they're not rotten.

The rear might cause a problem or two, I noticed a crap repair that started rotting again. Ill get the front fixed up first though  :wink:

DeJaVu! Up on two wheels, its like starting all over again! I took all the stonechip off with a heatgun and a chisel.

Pic of the front corner..

And sfter I cleaned it up a little 8O

Looked just like the other side :(

The rear corner was just made of filler, so was the wheel arch, so I'm expecting the worst when I take the sill off!

One of the holes for the sill trim clip was fairly goosed..

So I chopped it out! Ill piece this in on its own.

Then I cut out the mashed part of the front sill to reveal a fairly good inner one! not much rust, just a little deformed, nothing the hammer wont sort out!

Another bad weld repair to the inner front arch just like on the other side, I cut it out to find the old one now fully rotted away inside!

The middle section of the sill looks good to me so I'm going to have a do at repairing each end on its own leaving the middle in. Should be easier to line up and keep straight this way :D

Greg

1981 Golf C 1.1
1982 Golf GTI
1992 Corrado G60
1999 Golf GT TDI

Back to the top
Glad you've got a workshop sorted :D

Look forward to seeing you sort this side, I feel lucky now I only had to weld in 2 plates by the rear beam mounts, sparewheel well repair (like nearly every mk1), and inner and outer rear arches both sides, rest is solid.

Keep it up :wink:

Pete.

Back to the top
dont fear greg, i just found a read panel welded ontop on the old one. and both rear arches were welded ontop of the old ones, and i had to repair the rear axle mount plates, i swear retards work in garages doing metalwork.

Keep it up, lovely white too

Back to the top
I've found more rot :cry:  I REALLY didn't want to see this :banghead:

I cut the bad bit out from the rear of the sill to find a bit of an iffy inner. I poked a screwdriver up in the jacking point and heaps of rusty bits dropped out, but it looks ok on the surface  :?  Means Im going to have to cut good metal out again to get to the invisible rot behind..

When I first cut the piece

Some crap repair in the corner where the old metal was left in.

This is the bit I mentioned where theres rot I cant see, Ill have to cut it all out.

Then found a nice hole in the chassis leg, I made this a LOT bigger with my finger. Rear beams coming off now :(

And this, well I was ready for phoning the scrapyard lol

Can I get a repair piece for the above pic? :dontknow:

I need some encouragement here chaps! I was in a mind to break the car this morning and if it wasnt for the work I've done on the other side I would have done!

A few quick jobs is turning into a full on restoration! I dont think I'll be going to the Nurbergring in it in June….

Greg :cry:

1981 Golf C 1.1
1982 Golf GTI
1992 Corrado G60
1999 Golf GT TDI

Back to the top
dont worry mate, you can fabricate anything!!!

Just get some sheet metal and go for it. It will take a while but will be so rewarding, where do you live?

Back to the top
ah just read it lancs….

too far for me but surely one of the guys on here from your area would come and help for a fosters  :roll:

Just an idea….

Back to the top
i know how you feel mate

i've had the same few repairs has changed into a full on resto!!!

my car both of the rear axle mounts are rotten and you can get a repair for those area's and the rear chassi leg. CQ's sell them

as for the other bit can't make it out to clear but if they don't sell it, then it can be made

if you get it all sorted now then you can go where ever you want next year with no worries

keep up the good work
 :D

Banner

Back to the top
Hello,am the same as you,am buying one of those complete tubs from Rich at crazyquiffs ?100

Back to the top
Thanks guys :wink:

Its fair demoralising finding more work just as you see the light at the end of the tunnel, I'm sure you'll know what I mean!

In the next couple of days I'll get the rear end up on axel stands and strip the sealer from both wheel wells to get an idea of exactly what needs doing. I might be getting those complete well tubs from CQ afterall lol

With a bit of luck I can fettle the repair bits with the good old ball pein hammer and leather sandbag :lol:

Greg

1981 Golf C 1.1
1982 Golf GTI
1992 Corrado G60
1999 Golf GT TDI

Back to the top
looking good fella.... u have good skills
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.