Skip navigation

Do I have one of the 1st Mk1's ever built 1974-75??

Back to the top

Do I have one of the 1st Mk1's ever built 1974-75??

Back to the top
Have a look at this thread

HTH

Rich

Back to the top
Hi everyone…

As promised here are some pix of my 'new' '76 VW Mk1 Golf L 1.1 with 11km on the clock! As I mentioned before this is a German/Belgian Left Hooker, so hopefully I have got a little Gem to have a project on ready for the shows this year!

Let me know what you think… :?)

Back to the top
Very nice. Definitely a '76 - you have the later headlights, sill trims, badges and seats.

Banner

Back to the top
Tat is a minter tbf.

Fair play to the former owners.

Nice car mate.

Back to the top
Very nice indeed - thanks for posting pics!

The only thing that springs to mind (apart from the wheels which you've already mentioned) is the washer bottle, which looks a bit odd.

Other than that, a bit of a polish and that will look 8)

A gentle tap with the lowering stick may also be in order - this otherwise stock swallowtail

(pic borrowed from this thread) looks awesome for my money.

Rich

Back to the top
Washer bottle and pump is stock (up to end of '76 an external VDO pump was used).

Oil cap is from a Mk2 or later

Brake servo was an option for small blocks.

Banner

Back to the top
Sweet. Got yourself a little gem there!

I'm now mk1less, ahhhhhhh!
Gone but not forgotten;
'83 Schwarze black GTi
'83 Lhasa green GTi
'80 Indiana Red Met. GLS

Back to the top

dubboy said

If not a swallowtail and wearing the original panel it was built in 1976 (Dec 75 being the end of the swallowtail panel). The VIN would confirm it.

Mine was registered 20th Jan 1976.

It has the 1976LS 'FP' engine and the 1976 color 'L91Z' with the 1975 cognac low backs

23.5k from new with full history,MOT's,receipts,dealer manual etc.
body work is probably in worse condition than yours

minus the cost of the air-ride I bought the car for ?3400

with yours being 11K miles (you haven't mentioned the history)
Okay it lacks the early rear panel, and with it being a left hooker that does limit your market slightly (unless it goes back to Europe).

however all things considered you have paid a good price for a real piece of history; you really don't see many series 1's Golfs about

with only a small amount of work it could look really very good

'76 Golf LS

Back to the top

B4by_Kangaroo said

dubboy said

If not a swallowtail and wearing the original panel it was built in 1976 (Dec 75 being the end of the swallowtail panel). The VIN would confirm it.

So built in 1975  :wink:

Banner

Back to the top

dubboy said

B4by_Kangaroo said

dubboy said

Sorry mate I wouldn't dare question you on it fella, I was illustrating that there are some '76 series ones with swallowtail panels.
 She was registered on 08.03.1976 with the Belgian number plate of SGM947, so I guess she was made in late '75.

Even; though 'HeWhoDaresWins' Golf is only 2 months younger 8th March 1976  he missed out on the original pressed rear panel as it was built in 1976..whilst any 1976 cars with the early rear panel are in reality 1975-76 crossovers

'76 Golf LS

Back to the top

B4by_Kangaroo said

dubboy said

B4by_Kangaroo said

dubboy said

Sorry mate I wouldn't dare question you on it fella, I was illustrating that there are some '76 series ones with swallowtail panels.

Even; though 'HeWhoDaresWins' Golf is only 2 months younger 8th March 1976  he missed out on the original pressed rear panel as it was built in 1976..whilst any 1976 cars with the early rear panel are in reality 1975-76 crossovers

1976 'model year' runs Aug 1975-July 1976 - not sure what you mean by a 1975-1976 'crossover'.

I'd suspect your car was manufactured in 1975 but wasn't registered until 20th Jan 1976 - ie 3 weeks or more. Does it have the swallowtail rear panel?

Back to the top
It does.

Only reason i was thinking it was caught between the model years is the color L91Z-Atlas White which I thought was only available in 1976

maybe it was only available in the US from 1976 onwards, but Europe had L91Z from '74 ? :dontknow:

EDIT:     VIN reads 176 so its a 75

'76 Golf LS

Back to the top
Atlas White was available from the start in 1974 ('75 Model Year).

see http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=37&page=4

Your car is a 1976 Model Year (VIN = 176), produced at the end of 1975.

see http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=37&page=3

Banner

Back to the top
Cool thanks for that info guys plus the links are really useful!

'Kangaroo' I saw your dub, VERY retro cool!  Thats the sort of look I had in mind for mine!  As I like the 'Newquay look" especially as I am going to RTTS this year (as always)… What are those rims, I have seen them somewhere before but can't place them? And where could I get the old skool roof rack like that??

I was also thinking about lowering her and maybe some nice deep dish rims… Any ideas??

Back to the top
thanks dubboy, thats a few things cleared up.

HeWhoDaresWins said

Cool thanks for that info guys plus the links are really useful!

'Kangaroo' I saw your dub, VERY retro cool!  Thats the sort of look I had in mind for mine!  As I like the 'Newquay look" especially as I am going to RTTS this year (as always)… What are those rims, I have seen them somewhere before but can't place them? And where could I get the old skool roof rack like that??

I was also thinking about lowering her and maybe some nice deep dish rims… Any ideas??

Thanks, I appreciate the comments  :)

If your going to lower her stick her on air you can fit in with the slammed VW's at VW shows but also pump her up a bit for the classic car shows

the trouble with wide wheels is the extra load they put on your wheel bearings and aging CV joints, I'm thinking of putting mine back on standard steels and putting the wide steel from the golf on the Lupo ( as i dont mind ruining that tbh)

the wheels are identical to the mk2 gti steels that also came on caddys ?
still not 100% sure on what they are I'm thinking either seat Ibaza mk1 or Nova merit steels (obviously banded) also seen similar style wheels on early civic's (mk2 possibly ?)

The roof rack I believe is the Crazy Quiffs one, however speed-tech.de do a chrome one that sits a bit lower and is generally smaller is size which I think suits the mk1 more.

I'd love to do RTTS this year, well as long as the old girl doesnt throw a hissy fit

'76 Golf LS

Back to the top

The said

Are you able to send the exact link for the chrome rack as my German is about as good as my Mongolian.

Cheers fella.

Back to the top
http://www.speed-tech.…=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

you're on your own from there in…sorry

'76 Golf LS

Back to the top
wow slightly gob smaked!!! 8O  8O  8O

I imported this car into the Uk in dec 2005, I?m afraid the car has done more miles then you think mate, it was around 60,000-70,000 can't recall exactly. It belonged to friend of mine in Belgium who collected all things vw, I didn?t have it that long and had like yourself big plans for it that never materialised as I had too many cars lol!

Still cant believe it, I sold it on ebay too a young lad and I always feared that it would get broken for parts, happy to see its not and would love to see it in the flesh again some day good luck matey!.

Small world hey!
 :y:

Back to the top

dojodubber said

wow slightly gob smaked!!! 8O  8O  8O

I imported this car into the Uk in dec 2005, I?m afraid the car has done more miles then you think mate, it was around 60,000-70,000 can't recall exactly. It belonged to friend of mine in Belgium who collected all things vw, I didn?t have it that long and had like yourself big plans for it that never materialised as I had too many cars lol!

Still cant believe it, I sold it on ebay too a young lad and I always feared that it would get broken for parts, happy to see its not and would love to see it in the flesh again some day good luck matey!.

Small world hey!
 :y:

Hello there,
That is very interesting as I have been informed this car was bought by a employee of a good Friend of mine at an auction in Germany in 2004 and imported to the UK in Sept 2004 along with the relevant paperwork, so I strongly believe you have the wrong car.
However please feel free to email me at hewhodares143517@hotmail.co.uk so I can ask you some more questions.
Thx.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.