Skip navigation

Do I have one of the 1st Mk1's ever built 1974-75??

Back to the top

Hi All,

I am new to the Mk1 scene, I have been an avid Mk2 Golf GTI owner for years, but recently I have got hold of the below Mk1 Golf and was wondering if anyone knew if I had a little gem on my hands…

1974-75 Pre-UK Mk1 Golf 4speed 2-door in Mars Red/Orange.  
It was registered and owned in Belgium and only has 12'000 Kilometers on the clock YES only 12'000 NOT 120'000!
It has all the original parts only missing the original wheels (unfortunatley).  
The car is still on its original Belgium Plate and has paperwork.
It also has the Bug steering wheel so I am asuming it is one of the first ever Golfs built?!?
The car does need some light restoration like a few rust spots and a respray… but thats not surprising for a 35 year old car!!

What do you guys think do I have a gem on my hands?

Thanks for your help all!

Back to the top
If its 1974 and pre UK official imports, then it will be a swallowtail, which is the nickname for the model with an easily-identifiable different rear panel, and a host of other small trim and construction variations.

see www.swallowtail.info for info, to be sure yours is.

There's a timeline on the home page of this website which will clarify, and probably your chassis number will identify for sure, although the very early ones (I think) had 'next years' year number code, if you know what I mean.

Back to the top
Any pics ?  :wink:

Back to the top
You can accurately date the car from the VIN no. which on the early cars is stamped into the offside suspension turret.

If it's a genuine 74 with 12000km on the clock then yes, that is a gem. I have some original steelies from my 76 if you need some.

Either way, we need pics ;)

Rich

Back to the top
yeah piccies would be good

:cheer:  I've got my husband back :cheer:

Back to the top
Ok cool - Will check out the VIN and let you all know!  I will also try to get some photo's taken and will post them up in due course.

And YES those Steelies might be just what I am looking for - Thanks!!  :D
I want to restore her back to former glory, so would changing the suspension decrease its value?  As I really have no idea what this Mk1 might be worth?!

mcscrew said

You can accurately date the car from the VIN no. which on the early cars is stamped into the offside suspension turret.

If it's a genuine 74 with 12000km on the clock then yes, that is a gem. I have some original steelies from my 76 if you need some.

Either way, we need pics ;)

Rich

Back to the top
buying cheap lowering springs off ebay and dropping the car 100mm is asking for trouble but I think provided youre careful as to what parts you use in a restoration, you'll be fine. someone like dubboy who has a number of totally stock cars, would be best to point you in right direction.

Back to the top

HeWhoDaresWins said

As I really have no idea what this Mk1 might be worth?!

A lot
 :)

Back to the top

Hi All,

Just to let you know I will be taking photos on Sunday of the Mk1 and will post them up as soon as I can… Oh and I just noticed the Golf only has 11'000 kilometers on the clock not 13'000 as I first thought… Even better!  :o

Back to the top

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top

Do I have one of the 1st Mk1's ever built 1975-76??

Hi all…

Just went and took some photos of the mk1 and I will post them up tommorrow… It isn't a 'swantail' sadly.  She was registered on 08.03.1976, so I guess she was made in late '75.

It is 100% a German/Belgium left hand drive Mk1 Golf "L" 1085cc model, with only 11'420 klm on the clock!  And has some funky interior & exterior bits that you will see in the pix… For Example the "Bug" Wolfsburg Steering wheel and chrome front light lids/covers and the keys come in a little brown leather pouch with VW/Audio info embossed into it!

I am not looking to sell her at all as want to hit a few shows with the old girl this year (RTTS) once I have got her back to former glory, but would anyone know what the value of a mk1 like this might be?  I gave ?1'500 for her as she stands, but don't know much about Mk1's just yet… I have a much better knowledge of mk2's.

Thanks Guys & Girls! :?)

Back to the top
1976. First 2 indicate 'type 17' which is Mk1 Golf, the next one indicates the year, 1976 model year (which ran Aug 1975 - July 1976).

Back to the top
Oh I just saw on the log book it was registered on; 08.03.1976 and the reg is; SGM947 its a 1085cc.

Back to the top
I think any price estimate is useless really for these early golfs, not to many come up for sale and they've got to be seen in person really.

I'm now mk1less, ahhhhhhh!
Gone but not forgotten;
'83 Schwarze black GTi
'83 Lhasa green GTi
'80 Indiana Red Met. GLS

Back to the top
none-the-less it's worth more standard!!!!

I'm now mk1less, ahhhhhhh!
Gone but not forgotten;
'83 Schwarze black GTi
'83 Lhasa green GTi
'80 Indiana Red Met. GLS

Back to the top
Ok thanks for the advise Penny… Well I gave ?1'500 for her as she currently stands (due to milage being 11k and being a German Left Hooker) so just wanted to get an idea of the market value as I have FAR more knowledge of Mk2's.

Does anyone know if I could keep the current Belgium plate its on for the UK Roads, as that would be VERY cool??

Thanks All. :?)

Back to the top
Are you Belgian? It has a bearing on whether you can keep the plate. I think you can for approx 6 months, then if you're staying in the UK at that point you'd need to reregister and you'd get an age-related UK plate.

Back to the top
Nope I am not Belgian… the car has been in the country for a good 3+ years, but not sure if it has ever been registered in the UK as yet as its never been on the UK road.

Back to the top
If not a swallowtail and wearing the original panel it was built in 1976 (Dec 75 being the end of the swallowtail panel). The VIN would confirm it.

You can't run it on the Belgian plates legally (unless going for DVLA inspection or MOT). The car has to be registered and taxed in UK as soon as possible.

Banner

Back to the top
Hi All…

This may sound like a completely idotic question to most of you… But how do I upload the pix of my Golf on here for you all to see??

Thx! :?)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.