Skip navigation

Updated - Pg 3 - Massive oil dump - any ideas?

Back to the top

Updated - Pg 3 - Massive oil dump - any ideas?

Yup, the cam sprocket needs to come off, though the camshaft can stay in place. Was trying to work out if I have to remove the rocker cover or not, but might as well order one anyway eh, just in case :P

Back to the top
probably have to remove the rocker cover to hold the cam (put a spanner on a purpose made part)

Back to the top
Well, the difficult bit is done.

Got the car back home thanks to a solid bar tow from Caddyrage who is on here occasionally. Absolute legend who I can't thank enough.

Now, in to surgery!

Back to the top
Just ordered some seals from VW, though they seemed to think that the Cam and Crank seals are the same part, and that my car doesn't have a distributor shaft?

I was careful to specify the cam belt end, and a book I have clearly shows that the crank seal is larger than the cam seal, do they perhaps have the wrong end of the stick?

I'm going for the belt and braces approach so will ring GSF too, but was wondering if anyone had any ideas about this?

EX engine code, btw.

Cheers
Mat

Back to the top
what engine????

Back to the top
It's a 1.8 carbed lump, EX code.

I've ben on VAGCAT (forgot I had a login) and all that's done is confuse me further. I don't really understand what appear to be two conflicting diagrams.

This diagram shows the opening for the dizzy shaft, which is what I need a seal for. This diagram is accompanied by my engine code.

But this diagram shows that the only part that fits in there is listed as a plug???

Neither diagram for 1.6/1.8 engine in that section (there are two) show a dizzy shaft seal, just that plug which is where the dizzy shaft should be.

Anyone got any ideas? Surely this shouldn't be so complicated??? Perhaps I'm just being an idiot and missing something really obvious  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Don't go by the diagrams - they are unreliable. I'd personally go to the VW Dealer and see what their parts desk can do, they will have a more up-to-date version of ETKA and will be able to decipher any anomolies within it, and should be able to order you the correct part(s).

Back to the top
Cool, I already ordered a couple of seals from them which should be here tomorrow, it's 5 minutes walk from my office so I'll chat about it when I go to pick them up, though they did say over the phone that they didn't think my car had a distributor shaft  :roll:  

We'll see, it'll be entertaining either way  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Well, got the camshaft & crankshaft seals from VW, despite the rude berk of a parts salesman who clearly though I was wasting his time despite handing over ?34.

He was utterly useless, offered no further assistance re: the dizzy shaft seal, simply pointing to the exact diagram above with a blank and uninterested look on his face.

Oh well, rant over, the search continues  :dontknow:

Back to the top
on the diesels,all 3 seals are the same,cam,crank and vacuum pump shaft,maybe the pertols are all the same,i will look
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
all seals are the same here bert

http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/vw/GO/1983/7/49/107408/

Bert

Back to the top
You, sir, are a genius. Thanks very much for that!

I got 2 seals from VW and one from GSF so looks like I'm all sorted :D

Thanks again Bert

Mat

Back to the top
any time  :wink:
Bert

Back to the top
Just a little update.

I got all the bits, after lots of swearing, the starter motor trick, hub pullers, more swearing and spending 10 hours straight outside…

…it's not fixed.

I got the crank and cam shaft seals done, didn't bother with the dizzy shaft as my mates at the garage who were round taking a look and lending me tools, said "I've never known that seal go" so I thought, fair enough, I'll leave it.

Got it all timed up, feeling very pleased with myself, started it, and got another big puddle  :lol:

I've given up and handed it over to the garage! Oh well, can't win em all  :roll:  :lol:

Back to the top
do you wanna hand tomorrow i can pop over and offer my services.

not a mechanic, but i'm sure i know enough to be of help.

Back to the top
That's an amazing offer dude, but it's locked up in my mate's garage, on the lift, dripping oil onto a honda civic, which I though was quite funny :lol:

They're gonna do me super cheapy mates rates to get it sorted, which is awesome  8)

Back to the top
well thought i'd offer anyway.

it's all good karma.

Back to the top
Well, in return if you ever need a spanner-passer or whatever, give me a shout!

Mat

Back to the top
cheers mate, don't think i'll need that tho.

have my spanners in so many places not even i can find then sometimes
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.