Skip navigation

So how are the dailies doing?

Back to the top

So how are the dailies doing?

lol true, its a curse!

Back to the top

whatalotafun said

i think the moderators sould delete this thread before any more dailies break down

T :lol:

Back to the top

Tian said

whatalotafun said

i think the moderators sould delete this thread before any more dailies break down

T :lol:

8O the curse of tian! 8O

Back to the top
HA!

Quality :D

Back to the top
my car is still working everyday although still lumpy on idle, next step i think will be fuel filter and fuel line before i go messing around anymore with the carb. since its been raining all the carpets are wet and its going to have to stay that way for a while as i'm flat broke, as long as it goes and the seats are not wet its all good.

i now understand why the last owner kept it under a cover, im going to try and get it off him… still owe him ?150 and he didnt mention anything about the waterfall coming into the car so might use that to get the cover or some discount hhmmm.

i'm finding the longer i own this car its becoming apparent it suffers exactly the same problems as my first mk1 i had 15 years ago, some things never change  :lol:

'83 1.5 LHD Golf LX

Back to the top
take the carpets out cover the floor in talc.
spray with hose pipe
look for water.
bung up the hole.

Back to the top
will give it a go as soon as the weather cheers up, is it easy to remove the carpets without ripping them? you make it sound easy but i really am pants at taking stuff off/out of cars without breaking bits.

its going to get messy as i only have flour and no talc  :lol:

'83 1.5 LHD Golf LX

Back to the top
in that case dont bother with the flour.
yes it is easy to remove.
front seats out
centre console out
sill strips
remove clips at front of carpet

take it easy and you will be fine

strangly fitting is reverse of removal.

Back to the top
nice one, will give it a go as soon as i'm feeling more confident i can do it without ruining anything. thanks again  :)

'83 1.5 LHD Golf LX

Back to the top
Now my fuel lines are all replaced the beast it running sweet again!

Well apart from the rattle from the worn pads!  :banghead: new ones ordered so that should be car all better.

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
did you replace the fuel lines or take it to a garage? is this an easy straight forward job? my lines are pretty perished and on their last legs  :(

'83 1.5 LHD Golf LX

Back to the top
had a look at my steering rack today due to free play in it. took it out to have a proper look and adjust, pulled back a gaitor, brown water peeing out. pulled back other, brown water again. bugger.

took plate off round the pinion, bearings resemble a collection of clegnuts. bugger.

took off adjuster plate, more brown water, and a seized plunger.  got that out, wasn't even touching the rack.

and the rack looks like a brown mouldy stick.

lovely

looks like a new rack for me then!!

had to clean and put my old one back in for now though untill I can get hold of one.

Back to the top
Bloody terrible, might just torch it to make myself feel better….

http://www.vwgolfmk1.o…wtopic&t=57426&highlight=

Had this problem for about a month now and no matter what I do or how much money I chuck at it I can't get it solved! It's just putting a huge hole in my pocket….

Back to the top

DB1000 said

Bloody terrible, might just torch it to make myself feel better….

http://www.vwgolfmk1.o…wtopic&t=57426&highlight=

Had this problem for about a month now and no matter what I do or how much money I chuck at it I can't get it solved! It's just putting a huge hole in my pocket….

i feel your pain mate, i have the same symptoms minus the white smoke. i have replaced all the vac hoses which made it a bit better. fuel lines and filter next. if that don't do the trick i'm going to get a new carb.

i thought about torching mine but it would be a waste of time as the interior is sopping wet from all the window/sunroof seal leaks  :lol:  :banghead:

'83 1.5 LHD Golf LX

Back to the top
There is light at the end of the tunnel guys honest, i had most of these problems, stick with pedders advice it will get sorted, im all over in mine now :)

Back to the top

milky said

did you replace the fuel lines or take it to a garage? is this an easy straight forward job? my lines are pretty perished and on their last legs  :(

Did them myself, also made new rigid stainless pipes which are days away from going on sale!

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top

funk-star said

milky said

Did them myself, also made new rigid stainless pipes which are days away from going on sale!

cool, i'm going to give changing them ago myself. never really been that hands on when it comes to maintenance before but since having this golf i have been enjoying it more.

loubylou71 said

There is light at the end of the tunnel guys honest, i had most of these problems, stick with pedders advice it will get sorted, im all over in mine now

that really is good to hear  :D

'83 1.5 LHD Golf LX

Back to the top
currently my valve stem seals have gone so the car is smoking blue and smells of burning oil :( lol

other then that, everything is tip top  :D

Back to the top
hhmm just been out to check how much water is in the golf today as it rained quiet a lot last night.

the other day the car was parked on the drive with the nose end pointing down the hill and there was a lot of water in the rear passenger footwell and there seemed a fair bit in the boot as well.

last night i parked the car with the real pointing down and this morning there was a bit in the passenger footwell and less in the boot but now some in the driver footwell  :banghead:

found some rust around the bottom of the windscreen seal so in going to seal that up. the sunroof seal has totally gone so that needs replacing or sealing up and i need to run a bit of wire down the drainage gutter and poke about as i'm sure they are clogged with rust.

the list of things to do grows yet again  :(

'83 1.5 LHD Golf LX

Back to the top
come on milky, chin up chick :)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.