Skip navigation

So how are the dailies doing?

Back to the top

So how are the dailies doing?

all running fine here.
though i can't really say its my daily now that i walk to work, but it is my only running car and i use it every couple of days…

could do with an oil change to replace the treacle thats in there at the mo.
anyone who picks up a spanner in these temperatures is a better man than i.

(tho saying that i've got some coilies on order and i'll be wrestling them on come rain or snow!)

brrrrrrr.  :mrgreen:

ash

Back to the top
The car is running well, had a small problem with not having any antifreeze in the car.
So the only other thing is having to scrap the ice on the outside of the car & then the inside :(

James

Click for Berkshire Mk1's>>> Facebook

Back to the top
GL has been running fine, needed the points gap sorted and was much better, always starts, always goes anywhere and everywhere, except the tyres are extremely slippery in this weather

Back to the top

AntF said

GL has been running fine, needed the points gap sorted and was much better, always starts, always goes anywhere and everywhere, except the tyres are extremely slippery in this weather

yaeh, got the same problem with the tyres. There's a roundabout on a hill I have to negotiate every evening and I dare not gun it on a half chance as I'll be spinning away like a tit. Oh my MFA has recovered from the temperature as well and all the little crystals are working again.

T :lol:

Back to the top

marshy said

tyeness said

marshy said

new water pump, thermostat, radiator.
fixed an oil leak
passenger side door is freezing shut
dash lights gone
so much fun i think you lot should come and help me with the rest lol

That's sour, though I don't think doors freezing shut is exclusively a mk1 thing :P

Dash lights are a right pain in the arse to do though, not the easiest thing in the world to get to, even worse if you don't have a socket you can use to take the steering wheel off, as was the case when I did mine :(

well after tinkering figured out its not the bulbs themselves its the dimmer switch thingy. anyone any idea where i can get a new one from?
My dimmer switch, was playing up for a bit, then I had a small electrical melt down of No. 1 and 2 looms 8O , it seemed to melt most of this light switch also, maybe it caused it? Maybe worth changing soon.

As for the mk1, sat on axel stands in a nice warm garage, having open heart surgery at the mo.

Pete

Back to the top
No major issues with mine. Runs a bit lumpy under 3k for first mins but first gear out of our street and second til the first roundabout and shes happy again. Still need to get round to finishing some jobs but freezing temps and no garage have made me slack.

When springtime and motivation collide i need to :

Look for small oil leak (burny smell after a long run occasionally)
Side tension cables on the roof
Gear linkages (bought these when i got the car but have just gotten used to the box as it is now)
Put interior back together nicely
New dipstick guide
Find a decent condition drivers seat base
Bleed the pump for the roof
Fit new roof
Polish lip on the alloys
Put a couple of large headed rivets in the inner wheel arch to stop it flopping around
Find/buy fit new headlights ( bit of rust inside the current ones)
Sort side indicators which previous owners just threw some silicon at
Lots of cleaning/ polishing

Didnt realise my list was that long until i started thinking about it!
 :(

Back to the top
I'm all good here with my daily cabby, and it's parked on the road in the elements all the time…  Very lucky so far.

Had issues 1 day with the doors freezing shut and then not being able to close them straight after (the latch seemed to freeze so wouldn't 'catch' and hold the door closed, but after a warm up that disappeared) while trying to rush to work…  :)  Another issue was my aftermarket central locking dying when it was uber-cold a few days back.  Overnight and the next day it was a bit warmer and yesterday it worked fine again, think the pumps or whatever they are must have frozen.

Otherwise it's not missed a beat.  :)

Back to the top
Mine's street-parked all the time too. Just put cardboard on front screen overnight if it's gonna freeze and that's all I've got to worry about really (I have to leave at 5.15am a couple of times a week - can't be doing with de-icing then!) Other days when I can drive in daylight with no lights/blowers/wipers on all the time I give it a longer run to give the battery a fighting chance. Turning over well so far though - just pull my cold start lever out for initial start up then put it back in and drive off straight away. As far driving in ice and snow goes I seriously wouldn't pick anything else…it's tailor made! Gears can hold me back when required, so less braking needed…and easy not to wheel spin etc.

I agree though, HATE driving it through all the road salt though :cry: Bring on Spring!

Back to the top
Mine has been fine, considering that is is only used a couple of times a week, starting first time everytime, it is in dire need of some tlc though but these last few weeks have been bitterly cold , wish i had a garage or workshed sometimes.

Back to the top
mines on the street and starting first time every time, did a round trip of 120 miles in it today so could do with a wash (which it wont be getting!!) but clutch is starting to slip... so much for previous owners claim he did it last year. twit.

Back to the top
Replacing the cam belt (after replacing the original) led to:
needing to have the ignition timing done leading to:
having to now find a occasional misfire.

Otherwise, all is fine :p Shes running fine.

Clutch needs doing too.

?200 to replace it. Good deal?

Back to the top
My Cabby is currently running sweet as. Had a couple of issues before the bad weather hit - losing coolant, small leak found and sorted, Matrix on it's way out and blowers not clearing windscreen properly. Replaced heater, matrix and  blowers and prob sorted.

It's parked on our drive in full elements, and like James W I've had to scrape the inside as well the outside a couple of times, and that's it really

……I love my car  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Guess what happened to me today!

My car must have found out I was being a smug git and decided to bring me down a peg or two, so promptly dumped the entire contents of the sump on Huntingdon ring road this morning  :(

Managed to dodge across two lanes of traffic with buzzer-a-go-go and into a car park of some flats, where it will stay, 12 miles from my house, until I can work out what to do with it. Fingers crossed my T4 toting neighbour might be able to give me a tow tomorrow.

Anyway, I think it's the sump gasket, most of the oil is over the offside wishbone and driveshaft (like, dripping in the stuff), but there's a fair bit up the water pump, and the drive belt and pulleys are well coated. Sump plug is in place and the gearbox end of the engine seems relatively dry.

Anyone have any other ideas? I'm always up for sound advice ;)

Mat

Back to the top
little buggar, you must have been touching the wrong wood.

surely the sump gasket would just cause a bit drip not empty the contents on the front wish bone and around the water pump?????

Back to the top
Ha Ha! Yeah, I'm not sure, I've not had a sump gasket go before, so whatever it was it's been pretty major as I'd only been driving the car for about 10 minutes. Could be crank seal maybe?

I'm just struggling to think what it could be to have coated both the water pump and most of what's behind the engine in oil. The head gasket looks fine, no fluid from there, and there was no abnormality in the water temp  :dontknow:

Back to the top
if you need a hand with anything give me a shout, always happy to help.

Back to the top
my oil leak appears to have randomly stopped so happy days.  :D

Back to the top

whatalotafun said

if you need a hand with anything give me a shout, always happy to help.

Cheers dude, I'll keep that in mind. I've just popped a thread in Big Block Carb to keep this one on topic, too 8)

Mat

Back to the top
hhhhmmm i think i spoke too soon,

was in car last night and it started making the most terrible knocking noise - result is offside cv joint has gone, doh! oh well its not really weather related.

So we thought no bother, we'll get in the 16v jetta, (has been sitting on road for over a month) starts up great, go to pull away and handbrake is seized on, and the handbrake cable snaps haha.

so we get in the golf 16v which has been standing about 3 weeks and its starts and goes fine, except has no heater so is like sitting in an ice cube tray,

dont you just love golfs eh! Oh well if they were fords probly would have broken in half before we got to the end of the road so swings and roundabouts really i suppose.

Back to the top
i think the moderators sould delete this thread before any more dailies break down
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.