Skip navigation

Brand New Mk1 Golf from South Africa, Would anyone buy one?

Back to the top

Brand New Mk1 Golf from South Africa, Would anyone buy one?

Back to the top
Is there any 1 in the UK that imports these.

I knew of a company that imported the Beetel from Mexico but that was before they stoped producing it.

They have to do some conversions of it to be driven on UK roads.

I owned 1 a few years ago & they are not too bad i must say.

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top

allana13 said

I knew of a company that imported the Beetel from Mexico but that was before they stoped producing it.

As already pointed out, EC regulations mean it cannot be registered in the UK. These restrictions don't apply to used cars 10+ years old so its possible to import a 1999 or earlier Citigolf.

Back to the top
i thought you could bring them in on an SVA. i know a company is not allowed to do this but an individual can. please dont quote me though as i'm not 100% on this.

Back to the top

novocaine said

i thought you could bring them in on an SVA. i know a company is not allowed to do this but an individual can. please dont quote me though as i'm not 100% on this.

It would need to be an ESVA (and only then, up until April, when its replaced by IVA (individual vehicle approval)). Basically, without going too deeply into the 50 or so pages of regulation, ESVA would require among other things:

- Front crash test
- Side crash test
- A 3rd car to be cut up, to show seat belt mounting points meet an engineering requirement.

Back to the top
you maybe able to pass the ESVA with a model report if one exists or proving that the vehicle meets comparable non EU standards (i.e. US or austrailian etc.) but you may struggle to get it though that way too.
as a said not 100% but doing some research now and seems most likely you'd end up having to get lab reports to backup alot of the info required for it.

Back to the top

novocaine said

Thanks for the link mate…. that R-Line pic does look good!!

Back to the top
Spud you seem to like to point bad bits about the citi i've noticed in your opinons, my opinon of owning mine nearly 4 year is it is a mk1, nothing like a mk2 i also have one of them.
Rear quarter panel design is because of flaw on original mk1, lean on yours and tell me it dont pop inwards, whereas mine don't as it is strengthened.
fuel filler neck is alloy thus no rust, plates welded behind front top strut mounts to add strength, bigger brake servo as standard, list is endless.
But body and chassis is a mk1 golf fella.
I love the original but if i wanted to buy another mk1 it would be the citi due to having both a mk1 and more upto date mods.
I did have the big block 1.3 originally, but since put a 1.6 from a 78 series one into it.
Also paul as regards to importing these registered after 97, there was a citi golf 2001 plate on ebay and also posted on here by the owner, how's he got that into uk?
The interior is same as a mk1, but polo seats used at the front, i have chnaged mine from a pair of front seats from a mk2 gti and had them recovered in leather, the rear bench is original.  
I have cup holders in centre dash so there :lol:
Also stopped on numerous occassions asking if i am selling the mk1, none ever said a citi, but questioned the plate thus again i explained, it was more important for them to want to buy it, best of both worlds old and new in one.
When these car appear on ebay in last few years, they have sold straight away as people have more info about these cars, you could pick one up like i did nearly 4 back for around ?650 mark, now ?1-2k
A mk1 & mk2

Plates behind strut mount, theres a mod for you

Original 1.3 block

few interior pics as requested

Original interior

Back to the top

Peddersgolf said

Also paul as regards to importing these registered after 97, there was a citi golf 2001 plate on ebay and also posted on here by the owner, how's he got that into uk?

You'd need to ask him for the details of how he did it, but its possible that <10 year Citigolfs were imported before ESVA was introduced. Ie the car would have been through an SVA and passed. I suspect this is how yours came in.

Back to the top

Spudfingers said

novocaine said

petes looks the same as any mk1 golf mate. pre polo dash

Again, the differences I mentioned made me think it looked similar to a mk2 bar the rear end.  From Lawsy's in depth explanation there are also slight differences I didn't spot like the wings etc… just my point of view… I know it's a mk1 as the title states… but you can tell it's not an 80's mk1 so some things must have changed… and that's what my eyes have picked up on.  On a lighter note…. are they only available in 5 door or are there 3 door versions too?

It depends on what you are comparing. The SA Golf evolved through the years, just as the German and US ones did. The current CitiGolf is very different to the 1978 original (which was available with 3 doors), just as the 1983 Wolfsburg model is different to the 1974 original. I doubt there are more than 10 common parts between a 1974 Wolfsburg and a 2008 Citi!

Banner

Back to the top

allana13 said

I knew of a company that imported the Beetle from Mexico but that was before they stopped producing it.

i know a guy who had brought one of these original beetles from Mexico, it was on an 02 plate and it's as rusty as they come today.

couldn't believe the condition of it when i saw it.

i'm not saying the citi golf is the same, it just doesn't give me any faith in cars that are made like this (stopped making them, then started making them again in a different country)

Back to the top

Peddersgolf said

Spud you seem to like to point bad bits about the citi i've noticed in your opinons, my opinon of owning mine nearly 4 year is it is a mk1, nothing like a mk2 i also have one of them.

TomB asked for "opinions" then you say I'm being negative lol…. how does that work!?!?  I'm not going to blow bubbles up your bum and say it's the most amazing car I've seen and it's exactly like the 80's mk1… when my "opinion" is that it looks more like the mk2 (in itself not a bad thing !?!?).  

Having a different opinion isn't being negative mate.  I haven't said your car is inferior in any way yet you become defensive… just becuase I wouldn't have one I am judged as negative?  Why join in when the question is asked if you aren't prepared for anything but "yes" comments and difference of opinion?

You'll notice I was also asking for more info as I am not too clued up on the citi… how is this negative also.. If I was being negative I would have just stopped the conversation.  I continued to probe and obtain more info therefore keeping the thread going.  If you want I'll happily stop commenting and offering a different opinion to the debate as I'm not here to offend anyone… it's a fun site and should stay that way.   :wink:

Back to the top

Meenrod said

Why not buy one but change the front end and wings to 'original' Mk1 spec? best of both worlds- looking cool but brand new running gear, mechanicals, no rust…

But then it wouldn't be an original citi bud, but someone from sa forum as done this and looks good, mk1 is a mk1 regardless of debate, been through this before lol.
The "original is the best", yet a non modified original is hard to find as Dubboy as them all lol.
Point i make is alot of mk1's are modified in someway by the owner merely due the there preference and everyone is different, but how can a mk1 with a vr6, 20v etc etc be original as it no longer is.
I when i see this debate i think here we ago again, i have had an "original" and i did not like it, but i never said or say that the citi is best and mk1 golf naff as that is clearly untrue, both cars have the same thing in common "mk1 golf" and they are the best hatcback ever to see the roads.
I am not negative spud, just sick of non citi owners not having a clue what they are talking about, and having a pop, i.e Original is best, it's not a real mk1 etc etc.
I know naff all about vr6, g60 etc so i stay clear, whats the point in posting if i know nothing about that particular subject, do you see my point.
And to say i am making this site unfun, your taking michael, plus no one is blowing bubbles up my rear, it is mine, i own it, and if someone doesnt like my car, dont reply.
I didn't tell someone to tell me my car is mint, they wanted a pic and i replied, wheres the issue with that
As far as your concerned, your mk1 is the orignal and the mk1 citi is cheap quality built car, lets leave it like that to big up your ego
Anyway my rant over
Pete

Back to the top

Meenrod said

Why not buy one but change the front end and wings to 'original' Mk1 spec? best of both worlds- looking cool but brand new running gear, mechanicals, no rust…

Because assuming you want a GTi equivalent you will have spent 10k to land it in UK (shipping and duty) and you would still have to change body parts (and paint them), engine (CitiSport is less powerful), gearbox (CitiSport has different ratios) and suspension (CitiSport has spring/damper settings for bad roads). 12k for a GTi? You could buy a mint/restored example for that and save the hassle.

Banner

Back to the top
It's the very reason I asked for more info mate… because I know little about them.  That doesn't mean I can't comment on its appearance though does it as it's a visual thing  :dontknow: .  I think you've took the mk2 comments way too personally mate you own one so how is that insulting your car or any other SA golf… I don't know

as for "And to say i am making this site unfun, your taking michael, plus no one is blowing bubbles up my rear, it is mine, i own it, and if someone doesnt like my car, dont reply. " - I will reply.. show me where I said you are making it un-fun.. secondly I never said I don't like it.  I said I wouldn't want one… I like women in skirts and tight tops but I wouldn't buy them  8O … well if people are watching anyway!

rant over…. still think it looks like a mk2 though lol

Back to the top
Yours is a rust bucket lol

Back to the top
hay pete i thought it was missus motor. :wink:

how do you say popcorn in south african.

Back to the top
It is the wife's Greasy, she chose it, i do all maintenance and drive it, she wont drive it for fear of scratching something, its a daily driver so not a show car, what she worried about.

Popcorn is MUGGU :lol:

Back to the top

Peddersgolf said

Yours is a rust bucket lol

Is this a good or bad time to tell people about the welding I needed to do on yours, to get it through the MoT?

Back to the top
A little part of sill, from what i recall, it iwasn't for MOT, is was i noticed it and wanted it doing, car from southafrica and is now 11 year old, was 10 when you did  that.
But is this a bad time to tell people you were pin pointing faults on big stews last mint in a magazine mk1 golf he had and he asked you were yours was, your reply, it broke down :wink:
Not your discussion, my last comment was a joke as a reply to spuds post which i am sure he is giggling about, like i was, something you clearly dont understand.
Hows the sheep?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.