Skip navigation

Brand New Mk1 Golf from South Africa, Would anyone buy one?

Back to the top

Brand New Mk1 Golf from South Africa, Would anyone buy one?

What is better a new Mk1 from SA, with modern interior but still upholding the classic chassis?
Or is it all about the Old School?

Back to the top
In all honestly I think they look more like the mk2 than they do the mk1.  Nice to see them now and again though but for me, original is best.

Back to the top
I have the 97 citi that is same as any mk1, and better than 'original' in more ways than one.
But the new interior i.e. polo puts it to shame.

Back to the top
has anyone got any pics of the mk1 from SA?

so i can have a look

Back to the top
This is mine, newer one has rear wiper built into glass like polo and the interior, that is only thing that lets it down

Back to the top
How did you get hold of yours Pedders, did you import it yourself? Have you had any problems since you've had it?
Looks nice by the by

Back to the top
The rear looks mk1' esque but with the grill and side on with the big bumpers and what looks like extra width on the quarter panel, looks a bit like a mk2 to me  :dontknow:  are the dimensions much different from an original mk1 as I've seen parts sold to original mk1 restoration projects?

Back to the top
dimensions are the same as a mk1. it is a mk1 one period.

Back to the top
SPud, their pretty much identical to a mk1, change the wings to older ones and you'd be hard prseed to spot the difference, IIRC the shape on the rear quarter is because the press got damaged so the crease was added in…

I've stripped one and they are pretty much the same, the 1.3 is no longer a small block, but is a big block so engine mounts are same for easy upgrade.

rear tailgate is identical, so was dash and pretty much everything else

A few subtle differences, fuel tank was bigger so seats arent really interchangable, obviously the wings are slightly different and it shares the mk2 grille..
Small bumpers can be added to them and can easily be made to look older (i cant remember the guys name, but there's a thread in cars n projects where its been done to a whiteone)

I'd have one for defo, but be careful and check as they arent built quite as well as the originals, no seem sealer on wings so they just unbolt and fall off, so a few more traps for rust, but if solid. well worth it

As to importing them, current EU legs wont allow anything newer than i think a 96/97 to be imported as they dont meet the newer regs… so most are already over here..

Back to the top
Why not buy one but change the front end and wings to 'original' Mk1 spec? best of both worlds- looking cool but brand new running gear, mechanicals, no rust…

Cheers,
Meenrod

1991 Mk1 Golf GTI Cabriolet Sportline

Back to the top
Love the new ones dashboards  8)

Back to the top

novocaine said

dimensions are the same as a mk1. it is a mk1 one period.

Cheers novocaine… very informative mate.  It's a discussion so I put my opinion forward. :wink:

Lawsy - thanks mate.  I've seen people put the panels on their m1's so thought they'd be similar… the subtle mods like big bumpers, grill etc are probably making me think it looks like a mk2.  Good to know that there are panels out there for when they get even harder to source then  :lol:  even if they are a tad below original VW Germany quality.

Back to the top
any interior pics pedders?

Back to the top
petes looks the same as any mk1 golf mate. pre polo dash

Back to the top
wouldn't buy it with that in.

Back to the top
what the polo or the old dash?

Back to the top
wouldn't buy it with a polo dash

Back to the top

novocaine said

petes looks the same as any mk1 golf mate. pre polo dash

Again, the differences I mentioned made me think it looked similar to a mk2 bar the rear end.  From Lawsy's in depth explanation there are also slight differences I didn't spot like the wings etc… just my point of view… I know it's a mk1 as the title states… but you can tell it's not an 80's mk1 so some things must have changed… and that's what my eyes have picked up on.  On a lighter note…. are they only available in 5 door or are there 3 door versions too?

Back to the top
only five door. i beleive vw kept the 3 door stamps so they could continue with the cabby.

Back to the top

novocaine said

only five door. i beleive vw kept the 3 door stamps so they could continue with the cabby.

Makes sense… wouldn't of minded seeing a 3 door version though.  As they're a mk1 … there can't be any/much difference in power to weight from the 80's version… what engine is in it….?

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.