Skip navigation

1.8 8v carb engine on twin carbs

Back to the top

Is this right??

1.8 8v carb engine on twin carbs

Phoenix said

ok swap the head for a GTi 8v head so you have the valves and the cam and job done,

use bike carbs rather than twin carbs for less hassle…..a lot less hassle, more reliable don't go out of balence anywhere near as much as twin carbs do.

Please check out my thread in the big block section is your advice to swap the head for a gti 8v head a straight forward swap?

Cheers Simon

It's ten years since i went out of my my mind - I'd never go back.

Mk1 1993 Cabriolet

Audi A4 SE Avant

Audi TT Roadster 225 Quatro

Back to the top
I'm going to throw something into the mix you prob won't be able to find…

Here goes:

My Cabrio is running a single DHLA dellorto 40 on a lynx M50 inlet manifold with facet pump and low pressure fuel reg.
It fits in the space (with 45mm spun alloy ram pipes), where as twincarbs would be hitting the rain tray/bulkhead with any sort of filter
It' is a bit rough to start as i'm not running a choke, but fine when you know how to cope with it.
On top of this i'm fitting a kent GSH2 cam at present so it should go a bit.
Cost is about ?250 all in, but sourcing the bits is hard, ebay can be your best mate!

Projekt Frustration :

White 1991 Clipper. Lowered over polished zender rims, Single 40 dellorto on lynx manifold, kent cam, full stainless 'zorst / manifold, powerflex bushed and braced. Not the fastest car, but sounds super nice!

Still going after 12 years… never said it was a quick fix! Time is not my friend.

Back to the top

Where are you

Hi m8 wouldnt mind a look at that where abouts are you or perhaps a few pictures on here would be good

Cheers Simon

Mk1 1993 Cabriolet

Audi A4 SE Avant

Back to the top
I'm in Wakefield, West Yorks
I dunno if I have any pics, I'll have a look.
Your more than welcome to have a look once it's back on the car, like most of the ancillary components it's sat in a box as I have the engine in bits!
PM me if you want. :P

Projekt Frustration :

White 1991 Clipper. Lowered over polished zender rims, Single 40 dellorto on lynx manifold, kent cam, full stainless 'zorst / manifold, powerflex bushed and braced. Not the fastest car, but sounds super nice!

Still going after 12 years… never said it was a quick fix! Time is not my friend.

Back to the top
Cheers m8, i will take you up on that invite im over in York. My engine is also in bits, in fact the only thing that is still attached to the car is inside it :lol: Dont know when i will be finished, next job is engine bay prep for paint. I will start a project page over the next few days and post some pics
What are you doing to your engine?

Cheers Simon.

Mk1 1993 Cabriolet

Audi A4 SE Avant

Back to the top
I'm just freshening thing up a bit to be honest. Engine wise it's a cam swop with new lifters,then it's all just tidying things up…
I have stripped the horrid plastic off the looms and am in the process of re routing the looms.
I've got rid of the old rad + fan set up to be replaced with top fill rad and slimline fan to be mounted in front of the rad so you won't see it.
Then I'll be powder coating a few bits and replacing rusty nuts and bolts with new stainless steel ones and moving on to the rusty mess that was the wishbones and anti roll bar.
I also want to swop my rims for next year and maybe sort the rear beam out.

The job list is huge.

I'm also trying to source some new outer window seals/scrapers
 :banghead:

Projekt Frustration :

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.