Skip navigation

Hi new guy with VW MK1 golf GLD good condition with PICS!!!

Back to the top

Hi new guy with VW MK1 golf GLD good condition with PICS!!!

allana13 said

Man that pick up looks quality :wink:

Yeah nice isn't it, a lot of those vintage trucks and vans around here (ok maybe not in the streets but in the shows loads of them show up)

As usual take it as a rule of thumb that anything in my pics look at least 3 times better in real life cos my camera seems to decide on its own when to take a good pic and when not to  :lol:

Back to the top
The paint looks excellent. And well done with those electrics! Are you doing any other jobs on the car now then? Doesn't look like it needs anything else doing!

Back to the top

Diesel-dubber said

The paint looks excellent. And well done with those electrics! Are you doing any other jobs on the car now then? Doesn't look like it needs anything else doing!

Hey thanks,

Yes the major works on the car are now done and this Saturday its going in for the test (which was due in January  :oops: )

The things that need doing now are either aesthetic or replacement to original parts from imitation (like the tailgate and the rhs headlamp)

I am getting some clips for the outer trim to put them back on and getting brand new tailgate badges  :D

Also something which I'll be doing soon is repainting the wheels and polishing the chrome hubcaps.

I recently bought some original VW mk2 rubber holders for the exhaust (which are the same as of the Mk1) that need replacing

Luckily the underneath of the car is pristine and rust free so I'll give it a new coating of underseal and fix the ripped rubber gasket thing underneath the gear change.

As I said earlier I need to see to the early forming surface rust around the boot floor and give it some new paint.

The headlining at the back got torn and ruined by the rusted lip of the tailgate seal, so that needs to be fixed too.

Also the doors need to be fixed or replaced cos of the usual rusting at the bottom, but since its nearly impossible to get 4Dr doors they'll probably have to get fixed

I think that's all, then it'll be perfectly new and 100% original (oh yeah and obviously a clean and a bit of wax polish :D )

Back to the top
Went in for the test today and passed with flying colors  :D

Back to the top
Great news!  :y: Good work.

Back to the top
Hey guys haven't done much lately, just painted 2 out of 5 wheels (got bored), I've seen to the wiper stalks and just remembered that I havent changed the air filter in a while :roll: (that's probably why the engine hadn't been giving full power in the last few months, I was worried) Oh yeah and fixed the parcel shelf and put it back in

So as usual got the wrong items in the post (just my luck) and I'm not sure if they're of a series 1 or…  what do you guys think?

Recently I've been considering to upgrade to a 5 speed transmission but I have a few doubts.

1. Is there a difference between diesel and petrol transmissions?
2. Is there a difference between s1 and s2 transmissions and their
    mounts?
3. Where can I find gear ratios of s1 transmissions if there is a  
    difference?
4. My transmission has the code GC, but on the gear ratio
    table there are 2 and my car happens to be of 1981 so how do I find
    out which one is mine?
5. If I do change which code do you recommend for my 1.6l diesel s2?
6  What code does your diesel have?

p.s the reason I'm asking about s1 transmissions is because I can get one for free :P

Back to the top
If i am not mistaken, S2 is the code.

Bert can confirm that.
It will make a huge diffrence with the 5 speed so i would say go for it.

8)

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
s1 and s2 referring to series1 and series 2

Back to the top
The seat runner guides look right to me.  For a series 2 they go on either side of the seat and hold it tight in the runners.
What is wrong with them?

Back to the top
I'll look at my 5 speed gearbox code when I get back to the car later. The series one gearbox you mention getting must be from a petrol model (no 5 speed diesel S1's made) and I hate to say it but it won't be as ideal for the engine as putting a diesel 5 speed in would be. The ratios won't be as 'spot on' for the engine. My dad's driven a few 4 speeds that have had a different 5 speed box put in and they're never as good as the diesel 5 speed box. It's one of those things though, the change overall may be a better drive than the 4 speed was, but the 5 speed purposely made for the 1.6d will always be better.

It looks like the ratio of the 4th gear on 4 speed models was changed slightly from September 1980 onwards, so yours is maybe the second ratio table you mention (being a 1981). If it is the amended 4th gear version then you have exactly the same ratios 1-4th as mine, just no 5th! It will make a huge difference to the ride, no matter what kind of driving you do (I can go into 5th from about 35mph and of course high-speed driving is a more economical and pleasant experience!) The 4 speed and 5 speed boxes are identical internally and externally I think (other than the extra gear and selector mechanisms of course).
I personally would only recommend putting in a 5 speed box from a S2 diesel, but I have less experience of it all than some folks…Bert where are you!  :lol:

P.S - those seat gliders look right to me too. What are those smaller white plastic bits though?

Back to the top
The small white bits go at the front of the seat where the adjustment handle sits. Keeps the movement smooth, well smoother.

Ollymalta, have you received your Membership Pack yet?

Arnold

Back to the top
Olly mate your paint work too looks good. How much did you spend on the bidy work ?

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top

Diesel-dubber said

I'll look at my 5 speed gearbox code when I get back to the car later. The series one gearbox you mention getting must be from a petrol model (no 5 speed diesel S1's made) and I hate to say it but it won't be as ideal for the engine as putting a diesel 5 speed in would be. The ratios won't be as 'spot on' for the engine. My dad's driven a few 4 speeds that have had a different 5 speed box put in and they're never as good as the diesel 5 speed box. It's one of those things though, the change overall may be a better drive than the 4 speed was, but the 5 speed purposely made for the 1.6d will always be better.

It looks like the ratio of the 4th gear on 4 speed models was changed slightly from September 1980 onwards, so yours is maybe the second ratio table you mention (being a 1981). If it is the amended 4th gear version then you have exactly the same ratios 1-4th as mine, just no 5th! It will make a huge difference to the ride, no matter what kind of driving you do (I can go into 5th from about 35mph and of course high-speed driving is a more economical and pleasant experience!) The 4 speed and 5 speed boxes are identical internally and externally I think (other than the extra gear and selector mechanisms of course).
I personally would only recommend putting in a 5 speed box from a S2 diesel, but I have less experience of it all than some folks…Bert where are you!  :lol:

P.S - those seat gliders look right to me too. What are those smaller white plastic bits though?

THANK YOU for the lengthy response (my god how patient some of you ppl are :) ). Yes the gearbox of the s1, if a 5 speed (not sure), will be of a petrol engine. The boxes of a 4 speed and a 5 speed aren't the same though :cry:

Ok soo lemme try and explain what I am trying to do (I'm no expert so tell me if I'm seriously wrong). I need the box of a 5 speed which is the same for diesel and petrol, then I plan to take it apart and use my gears from my 4 speed to have the same ratios and use the 5th gear from the 5 speed gearbox.

What I don't know and I hope one of you "experts" knows, is if the input and output shafts of the petrol transmission are good enough for a diesel engine (greater torque I presume) and if the s1 boxes have the same mounting points.

Has anyone tried doing this before?

ASSUMING THIS IS ALL POSSIBLE :|

only three other problems worry me

1. The speedo cable to the different speedo (series 2) and also the connector in the transmission.

2. THe gear linkage I assume is different from a 4 speed to a 5 speed :dontknow: because in the parts book I have there seems to be minute differences

3. Not sure if flanges are 90 or 100 on the s1 transmission (90 on mine according to the table)

Back to the top

Tian said

The small white bits go at the front of the seat where the adjustment handle sits. Keeps the movement smooth, well smoother.

Ollymalta, have you received your Membership Pack yet?

Arnold

The seat guides were accidentally sent to me in the post when I ordered something else. Just was wondering if they were of a series 1 (seems that they are, as seen on crazyquiff)

Yes I've received the membership pack quite a while ago thanks, I thought I had already told you though, no worries  :D

p.s loool ARNOLD

Back to the top
i put a 5 speed onto my 1.6D from a polo diesel,had to swap mountings and use a 5 speed selector and it was great,i was so pleased with the ratios i used it on my 1.9 tgurbo diesel engine and it will do over  100 mph no problem,also the gearing is spot on,my box is code DFW found in the 1.9D seat and polo i think,it has 90mm flanges too,so the shafts bolt straight on, i would do a 5 speed if i were you  :wink:
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top

allana13 said

Olly mate your paint work too looks good. How much did you spend on the bidy work ?

Around 740 gbp for the body work and 430 for the paint. Not including the parts which we provided.

Back to the top
Olly mate i guess its all worth it in the end.
Just stick a 5 speed box in it and you will be sorted.

Post some more pics mate.

Cheers

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
Hey guys a quick update on some new tings and some pics :D

So I got some new mirrors as the only one I had was the driver's side which had a broken mechanism and mirror was ruined around the edges, also it was rrly loose and had to wedge a paper in place when driving  :lol:

some new brake pads that I'll fit before coming to the AGM  :)

AND SOME new Original Tailgate Badges  8O that I'll put on an original tailgate when I can finally get my hands on one

A quick question, do your headlamps have "Saturnus" on the bottom (as seen in the pic [it is the original lamp])? ANd if so is it on both? because I'm trying to find one for the driver's side

Back to the top

ollymalta said

A quick question, do your headlamps have "Saturnus" on the bottom (as seen in the pic [it is the original lamp])?

No mine haven't, can't say I've ever seen any with Saturnus on them either.  :|
Nice original badges by the way, good find  :D

Back to the top
Today the pedal rubbers, trim clips and badge clips arrived in the post (actually was only sent 4 badge clips instead of 6 but I'm not going to complain twice, so just forget it :|  :| )

Anyway so some interesting news, on Monday me and my son will be going to see this donor car that we're interested in buying. If the shell is any good maybe we'll restore it too but the owner says it's just scrap so we'll see  8)

We're hoping the doors and tailgate are in good nick with no rust cos that's what we need next :?  Also if were lucky maybe some original wings too, who knows :)  It's a diesel too so all the better  :D  

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this but the transmission of the series one was no good, it was of a small engine type  :x  but maybe the donor car may have a 5 speed :dontknow:

wish me luck
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.