Skip navigation

stretched tyres

Back to the top

stretched tyres

stretch = Gay tbh i must be getting old but it just doesnt look good :dontknow:

Back to the top
I've heard it was due to TUV regulations, which required the TREAD of the tyre to be covered by bodywork, but not the rest of the wheels. It was only a matter of time before some bright German spark………and the rest is history. In the UK, the whole wheel needs to be covered by bodywork (as viewed from above).

Back to the top

alexHxC said

*sighs* this is always a topic on e38 lol

stretched tires (from memory) wer used on old jap drift cars an hot rods in the 50s.

on jap drift cars they would fit huge wheels out back and because ther wasnt a tyre big enough they would stretch then giving the wheel supposedly more contact to the tarmac. helping with traction to drift etc etc.

hot rods basically the same but not for drifting just for straight line speeds

however ive never seen or heard of a tyre with stretch coming off or being in any way unsafe. people do take it to the limits and run the risk of it coming off the wheel or the bead etc. you can post up pics of em coming off if you want but 9 times out of 10 it wasnt the tyre that gave way.

also stretched tyres are high maintainance as you have to run them at a higher psi.

people these days use them for asthetics or jus to help ther car go lower so the arch doesnt scrub away the tread.

pretty much

ive heard horror stories about instant deflates due to stretched tyres which doesnt account for the amount of random instant deflates on folk running regular sizes

this argument just goes round and round its boring,so is the atypical 'gay''dangerous''unsafe' comments

Do the people that write these comments have 100% original cars??probably not,this is just another mode of modification.

Id rather run a stretch tyre than a 8"rim with a 235 tyre because i do

the guy asked a reasonable question,if you couldnt offer a constructive answer maybe you shouldnt have typed

Back to the top

paul_c said

I've heard it was due to TUV regulations, which required the TREAD of the tyre to be covered by bodywork, but not the rest of the wheels. It was only a matter of time before some bright German spark………and the rest is history. In the UK, the whole wheel needs to be covered by bodywork (as viewed from above).

nah in uk i thought it was just the tread too ive got abit of poke coz all my wheels are spaced to clear the springs. a coppers had a good look round my car too. jus moaned about my plates thats it.

Back to the top

novocaine said

i have less of a worry about side wall deflection and more of a worry about the direction of force applied to the beading from said delfection.
a tyre with it's side wall 180 degrees (approximatly) to the wheel rim will have a greater range of deflection before the beading looses it's fit and comes away from the rim. if that angle is increased by stretching the wall to say 210 degrees your already on the limit of what the bead can cope with.
heavy cornering results in rapid deflation and one very major accident.

I agree with paul on this. (which is rare) :mrgreen:

you can buy tyres designed for stretch that have reinforced sidewalls and beads.

an for sayin its gay jesus get a grip.

Back to the top
i *think* the rule is that the widest part of the wheel arch has to cover the tyre tread.

Please don't call me fella- its deeply insulting to one whom is no such thing! ;)

Back to the top

alexHxC said

paul_c said

nah in uk i thought it was just the tread too ive got abit of poke coz all my wheels are spaced to clear the springs. a coppers had a good look round my car too. jus moaned about my plates thats it.

I'm pretty sure its the whole thing, ie wheel & tyre. I think (unsure) its in Construction and Use regulations (UK) 1986. Can't find it directly on the internet but I found this page:

http://www.teifivalley…g/vehicle_regulations.php

which details pertinant regulations expected for road-legal rally cars, and its quite clear on there:

The size of wheels and tyres is free but they must fit within the standard unmodified wheel arch (K.22.3.1)

Back to the top

alexHxC said

novocaine said

i have less of a worry about side wall deflection and more of a worry about the direction of force applied to the beading from said delfection.
a tyre with it's side wall 180 degrees (approximatly) to the wheel rim will have a greater range of deflection before the beading looses it's fit and comes away from the rim. if that angle is increased by stretching the wall to say 210 degrees your already on the limit of what the bead can cope with.

you can buy tyres designed for stretch that have reinforced sidewalls and beads.

and how many people do you think pay the extra for a tyre designed to be "stretched"

Back to the top
I guess everyone is going to have their own opinion on this subject, but until the headline "Stretched tyres kills/injures X number of people" appears somewhere I'm going to reserve judgement.

Did find these pics though.

This tyre:

Is run on this car:

Seems to work ok…

Back to the top

novocaine said

alexHxC said

novocaine said

and how many people do you think pay the extra for a tyre designed to be "stretched"

that didnt work really did it.

i forgot how petty this forum is

Back to the top
They are stupidly stretched in my opinion, small stretches look the best.  If you do go for stretch dont go for anything like them.

Back to the top
ok here is were the law stands on it
Regarding wheel width, they must not protrude more than 30mm beyond the wheel arches. (Council Directive 78/549/EEC)

Regarding the fitting of the tyre "Each tyre fitted to the vehicle shall be of a nominal size appropriate to the wheel to which it is fitted." Sec16(4 The Motor Vehicles (Approval) Regulations 2001'. The fact that the fit was outside manufacturers recommendations should be very persuasive to convince a court that the tyre was not fitted in a manner suitable to qualify it as 'approved'.

Section 40A RTA 1988 states "A person is guilty of an offence if he uses, or causes or permits another to use, a motor vehicle or trailer on a road when…the condition of the motor vehicle…or of its accessories or equipment…is such that the use of the motor vehicle or trailer involves a danger of injury to any person." Evidence to support this offence would include measurements of your wheel and tyre, and statements from the manufacturer or a tyre expert, indicating the potential risk of fitting outside their recommended parameters, namely, overheating, grip loss, unpredictable performance and behaviour etc etc.

If your vehicle was involved in a collision, especially one involving injury, where the cause led to the loss of control of your vehicle, dangerous driving may be considered, especially strengthened by Sec 2A(2) where "A person is also to be regarded as driving dangerously for the purposes of section 1 and 2 above if it would be obvious to a competent and careful driver that driving the vehicle in its current state would be dangerous."

In each case the facts would be able to be presented to court for their consideration, suffice to say if I saw your vehicle on the road with the tyres you describe, I'd certainly be looking into the S40A RTA offence, Number 3) on the list, supported by the offences evidenced at 1) and 2).
I'd also be looking at the no insurance angle. What have you told your insurers btw?

taken from http://www.ukpoliceonline.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=24937&st=60

i have contacted tyresafe and am hoping for a reply.
and heres a nice picture for you all

Back to the top
Its like German plates. I don't think anyone who fits stretched tyres can honestly say, they thought they were legal. They know its dodgy, but choose to do it for fashion reasons. Instead of using the letter of the law as a guidance, some people are generally mistrusting or unhappy with authority, and want their own pros and cons on something, or hear of anecdotal experience, before accepting something is dangerous (or safe).

Threads like these are good in that at least its discussed and people are free to post, to present their own opinions on them (the OP asked for opinions, after all).

Back to the top

novocaine said

ok here is were the law stands on it
Regarding wheel width, they must not protrude more than 30mm beyond the wheel arches. (Council Directive 78/549/EEC)

Regarding the fitting of the tyre "Each tyre fitted to the vehicle shall be of a nominal size appropriate to the wheel to which it is fitted." Sec16(4 The Motor Vehicles (Approval) Regulations 2001'. The fact that the fit was outside manufacturers recommendations should be very persuasive to convince a court that the tyre was not fitted in a manner suitable to qualify it as 'approved'.

Section 40A RTA 1988 states "A person is guilty of an offence if he uses, or causes or permits another to use, a motor vehicle or trailer on a road when…the condition of the motor vehicle…or of its accessories or equipment…is such that the use of the motor vehicle or trailer involves a danger of injury to any person." Evidence to support this offence would include measurements of your wheel and tyre, and statements from the manufacturer or a tyre expert, indicating the potential risk of fitting outside their recommended parameters, namely, overheating, grip loss, unpredictable performance and behaviour etc etc.

If your vehicle was involved in a collision, especially one involving injury, where the cause led to the loss of control of your vehicle, dangerous driving may be considered, especially strengthened by Sec 2A(2) where "A person is also to be regarded as driving dangerously for the purposes of section 1 and 2 above if it would be obvious to a competent and careful driver that driving the vehicle in its current state would be dangerous."

In each case the facts would be able to be presented to court for their consideration, suffice to say if I saw your vehicle on the road with the tyres you describe, I'd certainly be looking into the S40A RTA offence, Number 3) on the list, supported by the offences evidenced at 1) and 2).
I'd also be looking at the no insurance angle. What have you told your insurers btw?

taken from http://www.ukpoliceonline.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=24937&st=60

i have contacted tyresafe and am hoping for a reply.
and heres a nice picture for you all

Direct link:

http://eur-lex.europa.…i=CELEX:31978L0549:EN:NOT

I know its quite technical/confusing, but the regs actually state the wheelarch must be 30mm beyond the tyre/wheel (at the top), ie no protrusion is allowed at all. It is allowed to taper from 30mm beyond to 0mm at the front & back, though. Its more to do with spray suppression than personal injury to pedestrians, looking at 1.2

Many thanks to Novocaine for clarifying, once and for all, this previously grey area.

End of!!!

Back to the top

i knew that pic would show up and if you wernt an idiot you would notice the bead is still on the tyre ie faulty tyre.

nothing to do with the stretch.

thank you please

Back to the top

alexHxC said

i knew that pic would show up and if you wernt an idiot you would notice the bead is still on the tyre ie faulty tyre.

nothing to do with the stretch.

thank you please

the tyre burst where the stretch was at its worse :banghead: i dont think calling people an idiot is helping either they are showing you the law and what happens

just agree to disagree  :wink:

Back to the top
ah there we go personal attack well done big man. now go back to your hole and shut up.

that tyre was ripped apart by being stretched. look at the tyre it hadn't even made it onto a car.

if the best you can do is call me an idiot than good luck to you. but when a cop pulls you dont bother posting it up aye.

oh and the comment about tyres being available that are designed for stretching is bull too. there are tyres that give the appearance of stretch by having angled and thicker sidewalls. (made by falcon) this is not stretching a tyre the wall is already angled.

Back to the top
well no if its over stretch it wouldnt tear the rubber in that place it would pop off the rim. and for 1 thats a 195/45/16 on a toyo proxy. would hardly stretch at all. and its obvious it was rubbing on the suspension tower. you obviously havent read that thread on volksforum have you.

and callin sum1 an idiot is  hardly deemd as an attack.

and nakang tyres an margoni tyres make there smaller sized wheels with a stronger sidewall. which is what i said.

so carry on chattin, also for the record i dont run stretch on my wheels.

Back to the top
my mate had stretched tyres on his rallye and the side wall went for a burton caused over 1k of damage to the car as it happened at speed despite being told it was dangerous luckily he wasnt hurt but could have been worse

so if anyone asks about stretch they will be told its dangerouse i wouldnt want to be givien someone advice knowing it could risk there lives :wink:

i think weather you run it or not its down to the person i guess if a similar post was started on ed38 everyone would be for it as you get extra scene points for mahussive stretch :mrgreen:

Back to the top

bens_cab said

my mate had stretched tyres on his rallye and the side wall went for a burton caused over 1k of damage to the car as it happened at speed despite being told it was dangerous luckily he wasnt hurt but could have been worse

so if anyone asks about stretch they will be told its dangerouse i wouldnt want to be givien someone advice knowing it could risk there lives :wink:

i think weather you run it or not its down to the person i guess if a similar post was started on ed38 everyone would be for it as you get extra scene points for mahussive stretch :mrgreen:

i merely answerd his question. i kno ther is a risk but depends on how much stretch your running.

i duno why im caught in an argument here!

also on a rallye you shouldnt run stretch anyway i thought the footprint on all 4 corners should be the same else it messes with the syncro running gear?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.