Skip navigation

JoeB's '79 Golf Gl

Back to the top

JoeB's '79 Golf Gl

Engine block etc look brilliant. What a difference.

The GX looks cool on the minilites. Any more plans for it

Back to the top
thanks ross, I'm really pleased with how the block turned out.

Might do a bit more with the other one, mabye orange bits and jagermeister stickers :lol:

Back to the top
Engine looks lovely mate.

Waiting to see the finished product. :mrgreen:

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
i definatly prefer the black interior,  i think you need to spiol her, a nice set of RIMS!!!!

Back to the top

Powdercoated bits,

Pre cut and flared steel brake lines, from the vw dealer only £5.94 each  :thumbup:
Saves spending £100+ on a decent flarer

Back to the top
Great project, I am currently doing a similar refurb on a GL. I note that you have got your engine on a Clarke engine stand, I have recently got one.

Can I ask where to mount the engine on the stand, what size bolts did you use and where you got them from?.

I assume that they are good quality / high tensile to take the weight. regards.

Back to the top
Malcolm,

This picture shows how its mounted

As you can see, I used the gearbox bolt holes. I'm only using the 3 bolts you can see, as the other arm would not reach the last hole.

However, my engine is a 1.1, and I assume that yours is a 1.5? Therefore it will probably be different for you.

I don't really know a lot about the bolts as I borrowed them from a mechanic friend who assured me they would be strong enough. The markings on the heads read K 18-8 and A 2-70, but I don't really know what this means. To be honest thoguh, the 1.1 engine is very light anyway - I attached the engine to the stand while the engine was on the floor (minus ancilaries) and lifted the whole lot up onto its wheels by hand. It may be a different story with the 1.5 though…

The size of the standard gearbox bolts is M12x50 I think. You will probably need ones slightly longer than this. I would measure how far they protrude when inserted in their holes on the gearbox. Then do the same with the arms on the stand, and I don't think they will protrude as far. Take the difference to work out how long they need to be.

It may be worth sending a PM to Markl, as I know he has a 1.5 engine on a similar stand

Again, it only look like he's used 3 bolts, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that.

Back to the top

Back to the top
Really good project, love how it looked previously

Inspired me to rebuild my 1.1 engine fully and get it back in instead of the polo one it runs ;)

Looks so much cleaner and original, cant wait to see more progress

Luke

Back to the top
looking good mate

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
My ever growing pile of zinc platedness

You spin me right round etc…

2 hours of my life gone

Ever wondered why early golfs disingegrate at the first sigh of salt? Doesnt look like underseal was a high priority  :shock:
Typically the best method (cloth and gunk) was also the most time consuming, messy and painful. But if its going to be good enough to eat my dinner off of, its gotta be done.

Still, at least i wore gloves  :crazy:

I really should be grateful that its waxoiled so well, but its a right mission to get off.
I've seen a lot of people use a scraper, but i dont want to damage the factory underseal  :roll:

The plan is to clean all this stuff off and circle all of the little rust scabs.
Then the shell will go off for blasting. Everything ahead of the a pillars will be done, plus everything I've circled  :)

Back to the top
Mate where did you get your Engine re-built ?
Did you do it your self or a shop ?

Cheers

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
The only actual engine work done was I lapped in the valves.
The rest is just paint and elbow grease  :lol:

Back to the top
Good gooing mate, looks like a professional re-build :)

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
Thanks very much  :o
I try my best  :lol:

Heres a more recent pic

Can't wait to have it back in a nice shiney engine bay  :D

Back to the top

JoeB said

Thanks very much  :o
I try my best  :lol:

Heres a more recent pic

Can't wait to have it back in a nice shiney engine bay  :D

:dance: Love shiny new bits!!! Looks wicked.

Back to the top
Looking dam good mate. Looking forward to seeing more progress.

"Shake N' Bake"

Back to the top
uber bump, engine looks very clean

any progress on this?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.