Skip navigation

JoeB's '79 Golf Gl

Back to the top

JoeB's '79 Golf Gl

You can get your cl chin spoiler from gsf mate they're about 6 quid.

:mrgreen:

Back to the top

X said

JoeB said

What is the name for these seat belts?

a deathtrap

??????????

The seat belts offer the same stength/restraining power. They were changed to having buckles, in response to a change in regulations which meant it should be possible to put on the belt one-handed.

They don't have a particular name, but you could call them "seatbelts without buckles" or pre-1980 or whenever it was.

Back to the top
lol the amount of people who faff aroung looking for the buckle when they get in its quite funny!
gsf don't seem to do the cl spoiler anymore. its not under Body and Trim anyways  :dontknow:

Back to the top

JoeB said

lol the amount of people who faff aroung looking for the buckle when they get in its quite funny!
gsf don't seem to do the cl spoiler anymore. its not under Body and Trim anyways  :dontknow:

Always best to give them a call mate

Back to the top
Well, I thought its about time I made a small update.
I've finally secured a barn to do my restoration, only problem is, its still got horses in it…. and will do for a few weeks. So, i've made a start at stripping the interior out, so I don't have to cart loads of stuff back home. I've been putting it off a bit, as I wasnt sure what I would find under the carpets  :?  but hey ho. I was a little suprised to find that the carpet was nailed down, but whatever works i guess  :lol:

So.. the moment of truth (well half of it anyway):

Amazed at the condition so far - not even a sniff of rot.
Cool little tag with german words on it in the gloop - whats it about?

Then started on the front and found:

Some dude at the factory hid some bits of headlining under the centre console  :lol:

Then I realised that I need to take the heater and pedals off to remove the sound deadening, I pulled it up as much as I could, and everything looks ok  :) Then it started raining.  :(

Not very exciting, I know, but I felt like updating the thread.

Joe

Back to the top
mate thats a buy and i love itt
im getting a swallow tail for my next project when my golfs done
 :D

Back to the top
I know dude, just got to do it justice now, and hope it doesn't go t*ts up eh?!  :lol:

got the front carpet up…

and i'm pleased to report that everything is factory fresh  8)

My mates Swallow is for sale atm, won't find one at this price thats not a total dog:
http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=56187

Back to the top
the floor looks solid anyway too expensive mate after a cheapish one but this time a full rip out and rebuild

Back to the top
Looks a good solid floor.

Back to the top
great find mate, what a bargain aswell!

Back to the top
So…. circumstances mean that I can't get it painted right now, so i'm putting it back together.  :banghead:  Considering the condition of the inside, I won't be changing the colour anymore, So i'll probably be getting the bay and outside done in the winter.

Got my new wheels today, and tried them on.

Sit perfectly on the back:

Poke out front (but this is with a dented arch, and no camber, and a flat on the other side, so it can be sorted. If needs must, i'll get some narrower tyres)

I can probably drop it another inch at the most, so it wont sit too badly, although not as low as i'd like.
Going to go and ring up Crazyquiff and order a whole lot of goodies   :twisted:
Hope to get it back on the road early next month.

Back to the top
Wheels look really good dude! Love that colour.

Mind if I ask what your tyre profiles are at the minute?

Cheers
Mat

Back to the top
Thanks, they're a 175/50 on a 13x6j et10

Back to the top
Perfect! Cheers buddy :)

Back to the top
Those wheels look really good against the silver. Good choice 8)

Back to the top
Thanks Ross, just got to bring myself to spend ?500 on bumpers now  :lol:

Back to the top
Still going for chrome ones? They would set the whole look off

Back to the top
Yep, my thoughts exactly. Probably going to give Crazyquiff my bank balance tomorrow, in exchange for lots of parts  8)

Back to the top
Well, not updated this for a while so…

Got a big package from crazyquiff, resulting in:

Since then, I've changed to p slots to give a bit more ground clearance and higher gearing (don't worry, the minilites will be making a comeback eventually   :wink: )

I'm after 2 centre caps for them, if anyones got any.

I bought some air struts (for formula 2 stock cars aparently) for a massive ?18.50. I finally got round to test fitting them today :)

The top threads arent quite long enough to fit the upper bushes, so that will need to be sorted.

They will also need a sleeve made up for the bottom mounting, as the hole is a bit too big.

Fully extended

Compressed  8)

They can still compress a bit more too, so with a little bit of arch rolling, they will fit perfectly

Now the only problem is getting the front this low  :lol:
Where did I leave the angle grinder…

Back to the top
Looks good on the p-slots :)

I wonder what the ride will be like with the air struts. How do they adjust?

Where did you get that front fog light? I saw one at an autojumble but I didnt buy it. I kinda regret it now..

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.