Skip navigation

JoeB's '79 Golf Gl

Back to the top

JoeB's '79 Golf Gl

Well, i've been floating around here for a while now, and its about time i got a build thread going! After writing off a nearly new motorbike in May, i was in need of some transport. (i'm insured on my mums fiat cinquecento 900cc but…. nah  :shhh: ) so i decided to go and see the mechanic in my village as he usally sources cars for us…(auctions and the such like) and sat outside his garage, where it has been for the last 5 or so years was this beaut:

I really didn't fancy a modern car, because i want to be able to tinker. so after the princely sum of ?350 was handed over, and adorned with a fresh MOT, the car was mine. at the time i didn't know much about golfs so i didn't know it was a series 1. i did however realise i had a bargain as the shell was completely solid apart from the odd ding and bit of surface rust. and…… it had done 36486 miles  8O . so after a good clean inside and out, i was left with:

I then took the car to my dads work (coach driver) with the mindset of touching up all the little areas and generaly tidying it up:

However, due to time constraints (schools had nearly gone back so they needed the busses ready) and not being to find paint that would match, i only really got as far as removing the rust and priming. so then i decided that untill i could afford a respray, it would have to stay mildly rat look. i even  took the bumpers off  :doh:

Eventually i came to my senses and realised it wasn't a race car, and put them back. since  then, i have fitted spax lowering springs, a jetex exhaust system, and tarantulas. i was going back to my car after work and saw a white gti and went to have a look. the bloke came back got chatting and he sold me 4 tarantulas with nearly new tyres for ?50 and a roof rack for ?10  :y:
there was a few mishaps involving tractor drivers talking on phones and narrow lanes….

Anyone got a cl spoiler going on the cheap!  :wink:
Other than that, had to replace the brushes in the alternator, and its gonna need a water pump soon as its making a lot of noise  :?
I've just ordered some ebay coilies, and might try and make some metal bumpers soon, and that pretty much brings us up to date!

dont have the roof rack on anymore though - too loud!
But yeah plans are lower profile tyres, coilies, respray, bumpers, and i will probably cut the tailpipe off of the jetex, and replace it with a straight piece of stainless pointing upwards.

Back to the top
Nice find .

I would have had that if i had seen it at that price  :cry:

Cheers …………..

Back to the top
ah well you see it wasnt actually for sale.. :wink: you'd really have to live round here to know about it…  :P

Back to the top
Nice car wish there was some like that around where i live.  :(

Back to the top
thanks! hmm i wonder fish do get thirsty  :dontknow:

Back to the top
looks good.

wish i could find a mk1 like that for 350

Back to the top
series 1,2 door in good nick 8O you lucky so and so,well done.

1983 mk1 golf gti campaign

1988 mk1 caddy 1.8

1988 mk1 caddy 1.6

1991 mk2 golf gti

1996 mk3 golf gti

Back to the top
Took some interior pics today, as you can see the passenger seat and rear bench look as if theyve never been sat in  :D

I wish the interior was brown though  :(

What is the name for these seat belts?

:y:

Back to the top
Nice find!  8)

Rich

Back to the top
I'm sure you should have some spare cash after getting it for a bargain to buy your brown interior.

Back to the top
well i suppose it would probably be best to keep it standard. and i wont dare to think what a mint brown s1 interior costs…!  :?
The shelf under the glove box is all twisted and wonky, is there a good way to straighten it out?

Back to the top
amazing! its everything i want, a silver 1.1 for cheap, has this bloke got any more kicking around? ;)

Back to the top
lol afraid not!  :cry:

Back to the top
Wow what a bargain.

Enjoy  :D

"Shake N' Bake"

Back to the top
Just a small update,
Coilovers on:

going to set the heights properly this weekend, and then get the camber and tracking done soon. for now its at minimum camber, and its not too bad handling wise. I'm fairly happy with the coilovers for the price, although they are quite bouncy. My dad gave me the cool RAC badge too.

Ive had a change of plans with what i'm doing with myself, so i may spend some of the money i was saving for college on the car in the near future, so watch this space!  :mrgreen:

Joe

Back to the top
Joe… where do you live…. a series 1 in great nick for ?350!?!?  I'm moving  :cry:

Back to the top
haha Devon mate! theyre everywhere down here, hundreds, thousands even. cant move for the damned things! lol

Back to the top

JoeB said

haha Devon mate! theyre everywhere down here, hundreds, thousands even. cant move for the damned things! lol

lol…. no wonder your smug… you get to drive the thing knowing you got a bargain  :lol:  ….well done to ya buddy… good to see another one saved and put back into the enthusiasts community again!!   :y:

Back to the top
i know what you mean, i'm so nervous driving to work in the mornings as ive always got it in my mind 'it only done 38k' and the last thing i want to do is slide on some ice and crash it. ive no idea how sick i'd feel if i did that. its definately made me drive more carefully…

Back to the top

JoeB said

What is the name for these seat belts?

a deathtrap

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.