Skip navigation

mk1 as a first car?

Back to the top

mk1 as a first car?

just turned seventeen :)
want a mk1 for my first car, new too this really.

any advise for when i actually go looking for one?

thank you :) x

Back to the top
go for small engine, make sure its got plenty of history, look very carefully over it, and im sure theres a guide on here allllll about them. i got mine for my 17th birthday and iv never looked back!

Please don't call me fella- its deeply insulting to one whom is no such thing! ;)

Back to the top
thank you, i feel so stupid, don't know much about them.
plenty of time to learn ey!

:)

Back to the top
i was in the same boat, its taken me 5 years of ownership and i dont know half the things that the boys and girls on here do, its always a good idea to get to know your car inside out though, cos you'll be spending a lot of time tinkering- or you'd better have a large wallet if you dont like doing stuff yourself! the joy of owning a MK1 tho is theres always stuff to do to it but its the sense of satisfaction you get from the admiring looks and comments, aswell as knowing theres the community spirit involved in owning one, and that you own a little piece of history.

Please don't call me fella- its deeply insulting to one whom is no such thing! ;)

Back to the top
Just be carefully when buying one because they have lots of areas prone to rust.  There is a guide to buying one on the homepage, so look on that.  Also to warn you in advance insurance isn't the cheapest with any engine when your young.

Back to the top
thanks a lot, (:
much appreciated.

yeah, ive had quotes for my insurance, dad wasn't too happy about it.
but i'll work my way around him ;)

yeah ive just seen that guide on buying one.
i have a few mates that own mk1's so hopefully they will be able too help me out with stuff.

i think i better start saving my cashhh!

Back to the top
Glad to hear your mates have mk1's - should be a big help. Probably obvious, but whichever model you end up getting (all being well  :wink: ) buy a Haynes Manual for it. There are usually second hand ones on Ebay, or order a new one. You'll learn loads just from reading the descriptions of how different things work on a mk1, and you'll have much more understanding when it comes to tinkering about or even just knowing if something's wrong. Good luck!

Back to the top

catDUB said

thank you, i feel so stupid, don't know much about them.
plenty of time to learn ey!

:)

Don't feel stupid, no-one knows anything about anything till they learn! And you've definitely come to the right place to learn.  8)

When you get one, make sure you get that Haynes and learn to do as much as you can yourself. Running an older car can cost a fortune if you rely on other people to do the jobs for you.

Keep us posted on your MK1 adventure  :D

Back to the top
good choice gettin a mk1 as your 1st car.

i had one also as my first car when i just turned 17. i had a 1.3cl model 5 door. insurance for a gti at that age is very high so personally i wouldnt even bother looking for a gti unless you dont mind spending alot on insurance. on the 1.3 when i was 17 on my parents insurance it cost me 600 quid if that helps at all. Good luck with the searching. i am also looking for another one because once you have had a mk1, any other car you drive seems dull and boring, even if it was just a 1.3!!

Golf mk1 1983 1.3 (it ran away)

Back to the top
Worth checking out some insurance.

My son is 19 and is just trying to find some insurance for his  1979 1.1 Series 1.

Quotes tend to be coming in at ?16 - ?1800 so far!  :banghead:

Back to the top
Go for it!!

Plenty of advice on here if you get stuck.  Great to have a car that appeals to all ages 8)

Banner

Back to the top
I had one for my first car, I was 17.

Got a 1.1 and the insurance was ?1800.00

Loved it to bits!
Just be aware, it will probably cost you lots of money!  :roll:

'83 1.5 Gx (picture coming soon)

Back to the top
Im 17, passed my test a month ago and have been driving a 1.1 mk1 since then and I love it. Im paying ?1300 for insurance and thats with mods declared.

You will learn a lot from this site and will get a lot of help.

Back to the top
thanks a lot everyone for the useful advice :)

i know, a lot of money eh!?
but god damn worth it!

just need too pass my test now ;)

Back to the top
are you getting lessons just now?

Back to the top
Had my golf as a resto since 16.. brilliant cars, not amazing to learn in though.. choke and dodgy fuel responses :y:

but they definitely stand out from the predictable corsa or saxo carrier bags..

but as is the concensus on this thread, small engine, a driver (like mine) is probably the best to go for  :mrgreen: alpine white ftw

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
ive been learning since september, taking my test next week.
wish me luck ;)

yeah, i was thinking a small engine.
don't think i'd be able too afford a big one.

Back to the top
I'm sure I heard somewhere that insurance on Drivers was higher than base models as they're a similar trim to GTIs, or am I talking out of my arse?

But yeah, small engie I reckon. Mine's a 1.8 and the fuel bills ain't nice, even now I'm getting decent MPG figures!

Good luck with your test and keep us posted on your car hunt!

Back to the top

tyeness said

I'm sure I heard somewhere that insurance on Drivers was higher than base models as they're a similar trim to GTIs, or am I talking out of my arse?

But yeah, small engie I reckon. Mine's a 1.8 and the fuel bills ain't nice, even now I'm getting decent MPG figures!

Good luck with your test and keep us posted on your car hunt!

Heard this to don't want to ring and ask for insurance when im old enough :( .

Back to the top
Id go for a 1.1 if you can find one as they arent much slower (10bhp difference if i remember right) You dont need to be going fast in a mk1 8)

Insurance is cheaper too by hundreds

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.